• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

An Examination of Travis....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Before last year.... From the draft, Travis had the following pieces...

• PG = Trae Young  &  TBD
  • SG = Kevin Huerter & TBD
  • SF = D Hunter & Cam
  • PF = JC and TBD
  • C = Clint & TBV

We drafted  OO.  We picked up Gallo/Bogi/Solo (we may have already had Solo).. then we did the Old man PG swap and ended up with Lou Will

• PG = Trae Young  &  Lou Will
  • SG = Bogi & Kevin Huerter & Snell
  • SF = D Hunter & Cam& Solo 
  • PF = JC and Gallo
  • C = Clint & OO

Another night... Another Stranger...  After going to the ECF.. we made the following picks.  Draft.. JJ and Shariffe..  FA  Delon Wright.   We lost Snell.  Here's what the team looked like....

• PG = Trae Young  &  Lou Will & Delon
  • SG = Bogi & Kevin Huerter 
  • SF = D Hunter & Cam& Solo 
  • PF = JC and Gallo& JJ
  • C = Clint & OO

Cam got to bitching... and had to be moved...  here's what we have now (still looking at the core).

• PG = Trae Young  &  Lou Will & Delon
  • SG = Bogi & Kevin Huerter 
  • SF = D Hunter 
  • PF = JC and Gallo& JJ
  • C = Clint & OO

So far... I would say that Travis has done a very credible job of team building.  From a positional standpoint, he has us ready for easy rotation.  There are some questionable things:

1. Spending at the SG position.
  2. Health of DHunter and OO. 

The bolded players are players we definitely have to make a decision on this offseason.   Lou will, I believe, is retiring. 

But people are making a lot of proposals.. but what's our weak place?  SG and SF....    Nobody has address this because everybody has their sacred cows and their secret goats.  For some reason, Clint and JC seem to be the secret goats.   BUT.. it's usually not the 4 or 5 position that lets us down.   Neither offensively or defensively have we ever been let down by the 4 and 5 position but these are the guys that we want to get rid of... Some say it's age...

JC = 24..

CC = 28. 

Gobert is 30 before the draft and will be 24 before the season starts. 

As you rate Travis.. and our moves.. what is your basis?

Do you not like our Core?

Still fairly high but this summer is a turning point. At the end of the day, he's been here for five years, started his reign drafting JC and within five years, led us to our most successful playoff run in Atlanta Hawks history. I can't knock him but the floor is really low with this team, he has to find a way to improve that. 

The real question is what internally do they think the following players are going to contribute to a finals or championship team:

Huerter

Bogi

Collins

Capela

Gallo

Building around a core of Trae, Delon, Hunter, and OO could be good for a few years (3x Top 6 picks) problem is the rest of the cap is taken up by role players not stars that get buckets in championship situations like Tatum and Brown on the Celtics (2 stars) or Jrue and Giannis on the Bucks.

If you want to win games you keep everyone. If you want to win a championship you must switch those players out for 1-2 stars. A star in my opinion is KAT, Gobert, or some other top 15-20 PER player.

Edited by theheroatl

50 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

The real question is what internally do they think the following players are going to contribute to a finals or championship team:

Huerter

Bogi

Collins

Capela

Gallo

Building around a core of Trae, Delon, Hunter, and OO could be good for a few years (3x Top 6 picks) problem is the rest of the cap is taken up by role players not stars that get buckets in championship situations like Tatum and Brown on the Celtics (2 stars) or Jrue and Giannis on the Bucks.

If you want to win games you keep everyone. If you want to win a championship you must switch those players out for 1-2 stars. A star in my opinion is KAT, Gobert, or some other top 15-20 PER player.

I think all of them can contribute to a championship team. Just not sure if that's the current Hawks. In fact, I am fairly confident it's not. 

Kevin is a 6th man for a contender

Bogi is a 4th or 5th option for a contender

Collins is a 3rd option for a contender just like Ayton but Ayton does have a saving grace, the right PG can spam him and that guy plays in Atlanta. 

Capela is actually in the role he would for a contender and he's been on a contender before playing this exact role. 

Gallo, as a backup 4 but he's likely going to the Euroleague. Gallo doesn't play for free. You gonna have to pay him and handsomely. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

But people are making a lot of proposals.. but what's our weak place?  SG and SF....    Nobody has address this......

Not true.

I'll repeat what I said at the beginning of the season....one of our wings (Huerter, Bogi, Hunter, Cam) need to take the next step and be the CONSISTENT GUY and elevate his game next to Trae for the Hawks to take the next step.

We all saw how things played out with all 4.

(TITS). He has done a great job and I still believe in him. Yes, this will be an important summer but he must be careful in not going overboard, making moves to just make moves. We have Some really good pieces around Trae and we must be careful in trying to add  pieces who just don't fit. Yes, the goal should be to try and get another Star player to team with Trae but it has to be the right player or players. I'm interested in how (TITS) takes us to another level. I would love to add a KD, AD, Ben Simmons, or maybe a Zach Lavine to the team if possible. But I'm rolling with (TITS)on any moves he makes this offseason.

PS: I still believe we're just as good as/or better than Boston and Miami. Our players have to have a different mindset next season on the defensive end and how they approach all of the games. That's the only thing besides injuries (IMO) that separate us from those other teams. I also don't regret us not making changes last season. We have a lot more good pieces than bad ones.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not true.

I'll repeat what I said at the beginning of the season....one of our wings (Huerter, Bogi, Hunter, Cam) need to take the next step and be the CONSISTENT GUY and elevate his game next to Trae for the Hawks to take the next step.

We all saw how things played out with all 4.

Well, you're not one of the ones constantly calling for a trade of JC or a trade of CC and not talking about the need to get better defense and offense from our wings... but there are others here who has this as their montra.   Also.. hoping a guy takes the next step is not addressing the issue.  give us a timetable for that before we move?

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

What does the above sentence even mean?

And what is a secret goat?

It should have read Gobert is 30 before the draft and Ayton will be 24 before the start of the season.

• Thanks 1