• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question for the Day.. 3-7...

Diesel

• Premium Member

If Magic had never contracted "HIV"...  where would he be in the GOAT conversation??

How many points, assists, chips would he have gotten?  Would he have been there for Shaq/Kobe?

• Premium Member

good friend of mine back in the day used to have this conspiracy theory that Magic never had HIV and he only pretended to have HIV to help raise HIV awareness and acceptance.   We used to laugh at him.  But, then years later when it was announced that Magic was now HIV free you better believe my buddy took a victory lap for all to see.

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, shakes said:

good friend of mine back in the day used to have this conspiracy theory that Magic never had HIV and he only pretended to have HIV to help raise HIV awareness and acceptance.   We used to laugh at him.  But, then years later when it was announced that Magic was now HIV free you better believe my buddy took a victory lap for all to see.

What would be his motivation to do that?  As best i can tell Magic loved one thing as much as basketball and taking this step probably seriously cooled that off as well as stopping his basketball career.  

• Moderators

I don’t think anyone holds it against him as far as his legacy so I don’t think it changes his place in “greatest player” discussions.  Definitely impacts his cumulative stats but probably not enough to pass Stockton in total assists just because Stockton’s longevity was very unusual so I wouldn’t project that same longevity for Magic (or anyone else - have to actually do it for me).  

Would he have played with Shaq or Kobe?  I think “yes” for Shaq as long as Shaq wouldn’t have been put off by playing with a bigger name legend.  Magic was still very good during his 1996 comeback tour.  

Can’t really speculate about Kobe.  Maybe Magic being there means the Lakers had a different roster and can’t trade for Kobe.  Who knows?

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, shakes said:

I believe that it was definitely Magic raising awareness.   I think he was paid for it too. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Definitely impacts his cumulative stats but probably not enough to pass Stockton in total assists just because Stockton’s longevity was very unusual so I wouldn’t project that same longevity for Magic (or anyone else - have to actually do it for me).

It would have been interesting.   Magic played about 11 years and averaged about 12.5 apg in his prime.  I believe his prime would have been longer than Stockton's prime.. who put up about 12-13 apg in his prime but you see his prime drop severely. 

With the firepower that the Lakers picked up, Magic could have sustained his career maybe 5-6 more years.. it would have been interesting. 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Would he have played with Shaq or Kobe?  I think “yes” for Shaq as long as Shaq wouldn’t have been put off by playing with a bigger name legend.  Magic was still very good during his 1996 comeback tour.  

Magic with Shaq?  Damn.

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What would be his motivation to do that?  As best i can tell Magic loved one thing as much as basketball and taking this step probably seriously cooled that off as well as stopping his basketball career.  

His theory didn't hold a lot of water when you broke it down, but he claimed that Magic did it because he was the ultimate humanitarian.  

• Like 1

My younger brother is one of the foremost experts on HIV treatments and preventions in the country.  He himself is the second longest-living survivor of HIV/AIDS in the world, having tested positive in 1981 and probably contracting it a couple years earlier before there were tests for it available.
He regularly speaks throughout the US and internationally.  He is personal friends with Dr. Fauci.  
I can tell you, via conversations with my brother, that Magic Johnson was NOT lying about his HIV status and did, in fact, become "cured" (which technically means you have the virus at an undetectable level, though it doesn't necessarily mean you are fully clean, but you can not pass it to others anymore).  Your T4 cell counts and your viral load have improved drastically as well.
This is not uncommon for those who have access to the best medical treatments and drug regimens.  
To say that Magic lied about his HIV status for publicity, awareness, or money is a gross mischaracterization of what occurred.  

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

My younger brother is one of the foremost experts on HIV treatments and preventions in the country.  He himself is the second longest-living survivor of HIV/AIDS in the world, having tested positive in 1981 and probably contracting it a couple years earlier before there were tests for it available.
He regularly speaks throughout the US and internationally.  He is personal friends with Dr. Fauci.  
I can tell you, via conversations with my brother, that Magic Johnson was NOT lying about his HIV status and did, in fact, become "cured" (which technically means you have the virus at an undetectable level, though it doesn't necessarily mean you are fully clean, but you can not pass it to others anymore).  Your T4 cell counts and your viral load have improved drastically as well.
This is not uncommon for those who have access to the best medical treatments and drug regimens.  
To say that Magic lied about his HIV status for publicity, awareness, or money is a gross mischaracterization of what occurred.  

One of my ex-coworkers is also in the 'non-detectable' category. Like you said, good health insurance helps.

• Like 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, shakes said:

His theory didn't hold a lot of water when you broke it down, but he claimed that Magic did it because he was the ultimate humanitarian.  

Hmm.  I like Magic and don't want to slight him but is this something that is even remotely true?  Even if it is now was it then?  

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Hmm.  I like Magic and don't want to slight him but is this something that is even remotely true?  Even if it is now was it then?  

I think you're putting way too much thought into my buddy's idiotic theory that he came up with in his early 20s.  

• Haha 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, shakes said:

I think you're putting way too much thought into my buddy's idiotic theory that he came up with in his early 20s.  

Nah.  I'm a little bored and procrastinating.   I think we should dig deeper.  Was your buddy ever in a cult?

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, shakes said:

My theory is that Magic did it for Pres. Bush and for the Money...

He started opening up Movie Theaters and Starbucks and stuff.   And became part owner of the Dodgers...

Let's be honest.. 

Magic signed originally a 25 year, 25 Million dollar contract. 

Right now, he's worth 630 Million dollars.   Come on now...   Come on now.. Even then, his earnings wasn't enough to afford him what he eventually had to spend to do what he did...  Yeah.. Magic was paid to say he had aids...  Maybe still getting a check?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Diesel said:

He started opening up Movie Theaters and Starbucks and stuff.   And became part owner of the Dodgers...

Let's be honest.. 

Right now, he's worth 630 Million dollars.   Come on now...   Come on now.. Even then, his earnings wasn't enough to afford him what he eventually had to spend to do what he did...  Yeah.. Magic was paid to say he had aids...  Maybe still getting a check?

That's crazy.  No one would do that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Let's be honest.. 

Such a foolish take on this...
Loosing respect for you right now Diesel. 
To disparage someone like Magic as a liar/scammer is totally inappropriate.  He did parlay his fame to get some opportunities to make small investments turn into large returns.  We all certainly don't get access to sweetheart deals and partnerships like he did.  But his fame, personality, and drawing power got that for him.  NOT lying about having AIDS and letting the world know that he had sex with dozens of women, some while married, and taking all the humiliation and abuse he did because of his HIV status.  Why would anyone need to go through that when he absolutely knew that his fame would translate into an after basketball fortune?
Did Michael Jordan become a billionaire based on his salary?  No, his Nike partnership did that for him, due to his fame and basketball achievements, just like Magic.  
Seriously, stand down and let this one go man.  

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

Such a foolish take on this...
Loosing respect for you right now Diesel. 
To disparage someone like Magic as a liar/scammer is totally inappropriate.  He did parlay his fame to get some opportunities to make small investments turn into large returns.  We all certainly don't get access to sweetheart deals and partnerships like he did.  But his fame, personality, and drawing power got that for him.  NOT lying about having AIDS and letting the world know that he had sex with dozens of women, some while married, and taking all the humiliation and abuse he did because of his HIV status.  Why would anyone need to go through that when he absolutely knew that his fame would translate into an after basketball fortune.
Did Michael Jordan become a billionaire based on his salary?  No, his Nike partnership did that for him, due to his fame and basketball achievements, just like Magic.  
Seriously, stand down and let this one go man.  

I pointed out that to go from 25 years 25 Million to 630 Million is not the usual.

When you think of 1 Million dollars per year.. in LA.. his lifestyle would have soaked that up Immediately.   Sweetheart deals and partnerships...

OK...

Only Magic.

Shame Kareem, who actually did Movies.. wasn't able to get those kind of deals.   His net worth is only 25 Million. 

MJ has a Shoe Empire.   It's not even comparable. 

53 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I pointed out that to go from 25 years 25 Million to 630 Million is not the usual.

When you think of 1 Million dollars per year.. in LA.. his lifestyle would have soaked that up Immediately.   Sweetheart deals and partnerships...

OK...

Only Magic.

Shame Kareem, who actually did Movies.. wasn't able to get those kind of deals.   His net worth is only 25 Million. 

MJ has a Shoe Empire.   It's not even comparable. 

We'll agree to disagree.  Disappointing...

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, LongTimeFan said:

We'll agree to disagree.  Disappointing...

I'm sorry LTF...

You insisted to put Fauci in your post crediting the HIV.  As if Fauci has never been part of a Rouse before?

My thing is this...

At the time Magic contracted HIV...

Humphrey Bulgart contracted HIV...

Easy- E contracted HIV... 

Authur Ashe contracted HIV....

All of those men were dead 4 months after announcing that they had HIV.   2 years Later, Magic had put on weight.. he looked healthy.. For a person that just don't believe everything that a person tells me.. I couldn't believe that Magic in that time had the same virus that those other men had.  The biggest thing was he wanted to act is if he wasn't infected.  I understand that's human nature but he wanted to go out and continue playing basketball.  It's just hard to think that with the technology we had and the knowledge of AIDS we had at that time...Magic was able to beat it.  I realize that now, there are people who can make it to undetectable.. but at that time the technology was... We will drain your blood and filter it and expose it to UV and cycle it back into you.  There's a long jump from there to here. 

• Like 1