• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Today's dose of truth.

Diesel

• Premium Member

OO is too undersized to be a starting C in this league and he's too unskilled to be a starting PF. 

Great leaps will have to be made.

We can hope all we wish but it won't change the fact. 

What happens when Jokic, Embiid, Looney, Lopez and the like come to town.   It was quiet on this board but for several games, Boston was giving him the business. 

That's why we're seeing the proposals for a PF who is big enough to guard the bigs and rebound and rim protect.   It would be nice if we could get Porzingis... or somebody like that.. but what if they get hurt?  

I like OO a lot but he's undersized.   Trying to find a fit for him is harder than trying to find a fit for Trae. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, ABH said:

Yeah he don't have the skills..he has alot of work to put in

He has skills to play Center and to Run and Gun... but he doesn't have the size to matchup with Big Centers.   He's not a PF and doesn't have the skillset of a modern PF.  At best, we can play him like Miami plays Bam but Bam is very skilled on the offensive end.   IF OO uses the Bam Plan, we would still need a Big Backup like Lopez. 

Good post. I agree with all of this. Here’s my solution to it that I proposed in my mock off-season thread:

PF - Porzingis / J. Johnson / 2-way
C - OO17 / Lively II / Bruno

I will say that as long as Giannis is in the East, OO has heaps of value. Man is literally the Greek Freak stopper. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

Good post. I agree with all of this. Here’s my solution to it that I proposed in my mock off-season thread:

PF - Porzingis / J. Johnson / 2-way
C - OO17 / Lively II / Bruno

I will say that as long as Giannis is in the East, OO has heaps of value. Man is literally the Greek Freak stopper. 

I'm not mad at trying to get Porzingis.   Rather than having both Lively and Bruno, I would love to see us get a Vet big. I would waste a FA pick up on Alex Len or Serge Ibaka. 

I think this isn't a question if we had the DPOY candidate version of Capela.  That guy is worth keeping, even the current version of Capela is worth keeping.  The problem is we have Okongwu who is a downgrade but has a longer career ahead of him. 

Okongwu makes Capela expendable and trading Capela is about getting an asset while we can (before the likely further decline of Capela).  I think you sign a vet to back up Okongwu that is serviceable.  Shift the asset from a Capela trade towards an upgrade at either PF or SF.  

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I think this isn't a question if we had the DPOY candidate version of Capela.  That guy is worth keeping, even the current version of Capela is worth keeping.  The problem is we have Okongwu who is a downgrade but has a longer career ahead of him. 

Okongwu makes Capela expendable and trading Capela is about getting an asset while we can (before the likely further decline of Capela).  I think you sign a vet to back up Okongwu that is serviceable.  Shift the asset from a Capela trade towards an upgrade at either PF or SF.  

What is Capela... Just turned 28 or still 27... at any rate, he's not that old.   We talk about him like he's 34. 

The reason that there is so much chatter about Clint and people lining up to take him off of our hands is that they know how good he really is.  You're talking about a 6'10 guy who rebounds with the best in the league and plays good defense in the post and is a wizard in the PNR game.  Dallas would love to have CC playing with Luka.. are you kidding. 

The problem is Hawks fans and this need to have their draft picks be very valuable. 

OO is not pushing CC out of the way.   The Celtics series and the Miami play in game proved that clearly.   Clint is still the best C we have.  Period.  We have been very dishonest about OO because he blocks a shot occasionally and he can run.   Let's put the facts out.

1. Clint rebounds a helluva lot better
  2. Clint plays the PNR a helluva lot better. 
  3. Clint defends bigs better. 

OO's niche is that he plays Giannis strong.   Let's examine that.   Giannis has one trick.  He gets downhill and he scores using his athleticism.  OO bothers Giannis because he can match him step for step when Giannis wants to go downhill.   OO also has enough timing to meet Giannis shot attempt. 

BUT
That's only one player. 

• Robert Williams III was schooling OO namely because of size. 
  • Bam was putting the hurt on OO because he has the speed to get to his spot and the size to score over OO. 
  • OO (and many other Centers) get ate up by Jokic. 
  • Embiid abuses OO specifically. 
  • I'm not 100% sure how OO looks against Portis and Porzingis. 

players with size cause him problems and that's because he's 6'8". 

As a combination, OO and CC has worked but I get that it may not always be.  Contracts.  But let's end the notion that OO is outplaying CC... he's not.  He may never.   His size may be the reason why. 

Somebody says, what's the problem with CC?  

Covering for others in our defensive scheme.   I cringe when I see CC switch off to a smaller Sf or a SG.  The switching scheme kills us.   OO can switch decently because most of the time, he's playing against somebody his size.  Just don't let it be Tatum... damn.. bad flashback.  Brown capitalized on CC in the switch.   Because Brown is naturally aggressive and the BIG WINGS that we tout did nothing to try to stick with him.   They left him in open space, allowed him to get Downhill and he blew past CC and OO and gave JC some if he were around.   Sadly, Solo wouldn't have let that happen.  Solo didn't have offensive skills but defensively, he TOUCHED  guys like Brown  before they could get downhill and that helped CC.  Our BIG WINGS don't TOUCH.