• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Three Point shooters...

Diesel

• Premium Member

I think it's important to go into the season with a realistic view of what our 3 pt shooters look like...

image.png

These are lass seasons numbers with players ranked by three point percentage.  Off this list are Frank the tank and Aaron Holiday who are no longer with the team.   Collins is still on the list but you know.

Bogi is our best three point shooter by percentage and he put up 6.7 attempts per game. 

In terms of attempts it goes:

Bogi, Trae, Dejounte, Bey then Hunter.... 

The problem was that attempts were Trae, Dejounte and Hunter shooting threes with none of them being three point shooters who shoot over 35% from three.   Going into the season, we have to find a way for Bey, Bogi, and Griff to get more time and more shots and lessen the shots of Trae, Dejounte, and Hunter. 

With John Collins Gone, we have another void in the starter position.   Quin make consider pushing Hunter up to PF and playing Bey at the three and this will give us better shooting.   In fact, Bey, Griff, and Hunter can platoon between the 3 and the 4 position and we will have better three point shooting. 

The other option is get a PF who could hit threes.  This is why there is a movement for KAT and why some wanted KP.   A big that can hit threes.   It why there was a cry for Ayton... forcing the shooting at the 5.  

The Kings gotta give up something.   They just signed  Sasha Vezenkov.  Maybe there's a trade for Keegan Murray that exists.  Or maybe Sasha can be dealt. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Bey shot 40% from 3 for the Hawks over just a 25 game span.  In Detroit he shot 34.5% over a 52 game span.

I'd love to see a comparison of the shots he took in both places to see if he had more open shots here or more corner attempts, etc. to see whether there is a good explanation that would give you some confidence the higher number is sustainable.  In the absence of that, his career 36.1% is my baseline not the 40% or 34%.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AHF said:

I'd love to see a comparison of the shots he took in both places to see if he had more open shots here or more corner attempts, etc. to see whether there is a good explanation that would give you some confidence the higher number is sustainable.  In the absence of that, his career 36.1% is my baseline not the 40% or 34%.

Trae gets some guys open shots.  Seems like Bey knew how to move to spots well when he got here.  Last year's team didn't have good shooting after Bogi/AJ until Bey got here. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Trae gets some guys open shots.  Seems like Bey knew how to move to spots well when he got here.  Last year's team didn't have good shooting after Bogi/AJ until Bey got here. 

What would make me happy to see is that he had more space here and was taking shots from his preferred spots here more often than in Detroit.  No doubt Detroit's offense was not as good as ours as they finished 28th in ORTG.  So it would seem logical that Bey probably had to take tougher shots in a Pistons uniform than a Hawks uniform.  But I don't know that for sure and I do know that 3pt% can vary significantly from season to season and month to month even when shot selection is fairly stable.  So how much was SSS variance and how much was a difference in quality of shot attempts?  I don't know but I'd like to think he got the ball in better spots with better feeds and that was a big part of his success here.  I think we saw that with Bogi as he went from 37% in SAC to 40% here due (IMO with eye test) in large part to quality of opportunities here.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I believe Bey benefited from everything.   Having a PG like Trae who can get him the ball.   Having Trae's gravity working in his favor.   Most of the time hitting the court with Bogi and having Bogi's gravity working in his favor.   Bey will be a weapon.

The problem is a lot of yall want to trade him for ..... non shooters.   When I talk about the possibility of one of our young guys turning the corner, Bey is prominent in that thought.   More than JJ because JJ can't shoot.