• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question of the Day... 8-7

Diesel

• Premium Member

I call this question, the autopsy of the John Collins Trade. 

It is known that we traded JC for used fabric softner lint.  The real question is why?

Here are some thoughts...

• To Save us from going into the LT?
  • To give JJ a chance to play PF?
  • To kill strife in the lockerroom?
  • Because after years of trying, we had to do something?
  • We thought that he was on a rapid decline at the age of 25?

About the LT....

There was nothing better we could do?  We couldn't trade Clint for a pick?  Bogi for a pick? How is it that we looked at all of our options and said.. yeah... JC for nothing is the best choice?

Are we saying that Hunter is better than JC?

I look at the two players.   We just gave Hunter a 20 Million dollar deal (per year).   He's the most unimpactful player on the team.  And Unlike JC, we have players ready to step in for Hunter. 

What's the answer?

I'm sure wanting to find some more minutes for JJ probably had something to do with it, but I think the primary motivation was to create financial flexibility, both this year and in the future.  Creating the large trade exception, getting under the LT in order to get the full MLE, and not to mention avoiding the restrictions that you have to deal with when trying to trade while you're in the LT... I thought all of those were worthwhile benefits for us, especially early in the offseason, even if the actual "assets" we received in the trade were pretty lackluster.  But now we sit here in August with the bulk of the offseason over and done with, and we haven't really done anything with those benefits I spoke of.  The offseason isn't over, of course, and there's still some optimism that something could work out in September, but it would be hard to blame fans for yelling at Ressler for being "cheap" without any further moves to take advantage of those financial benefits we received in the JC trade.

Edit:  It probably wouldn't be fair to avoid mentioning that shedding JC's salary had a hand in allowing us to extend DJ this offseason.  Obviously that was a huge move for our future, although we still haven't really done anything with that financial flexibility to help us this year.

Edited by Phunkabilly
  • Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

In order it was these three reasons. 

1. They thought he wasn't worth what we were paying him. 

2. They thought we were going to get Siakam. 

3. They wanted to make sure we could avoid the tax.  

I'll add that I think they viewed Bey and JJ as being able to match JC's impact at a much cheaper price.  Not that any of them are the same players but the team was great with Bey in the lineup and JJ was strong under Quin.  So if your pursuit of Siakam fails, then there is still a rationale to pick JC over someone like Hunter who I don't think we have anyone ready to step into his role defensively.  

• Like 1

Because the longer he stayed on the trade block the redder our face became.  With a face as red as a ripe tomato, Hawks shed the very high priced contract of John Collins.

There was always something kinda strange about him being on the trade block.  Why was he there?  If he's there, why hasn't he been moved?  Why do they want to trade him?  Why did they give him that contract?

We just don't know the answers and probably never will.  

Why haven't we done something?  Why?  What's the hurry?  That trade exemption or whatever you call it is good for a full calander year from the date of the trade.  Don't do anything foolish.  Know what you want.  Shop around and see what's available.  Someone may be hurting because they are holding exactly the player you've been looking for.  Ease their hurting!

If we're not playoff bound and expecting to go far, why go into the high tax bracket?  Just getting high priced players is no guarantee.  This is one reason JC has left.  Too high $$$ for the results that we got...

:smug:

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, Diesel said:

But it could have unfolded much differently had one of their offers for star forward Pascal Siakam been accepted by the Toronto Raptors.

That reads if Toronto wanted JC, the deal would have more than likely happened. Hence why Hawks moved him most likely after a deal fell through.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

But it could have unfolded much differently had one of their offers for star forward Pascal Siakam been accepted by the Toronto Raptors.

That reads if Toronto wanted JC, the deal would have more than likely happened. Hence why Hawks moved him most likely after a deal fell through.

I can see that.   It suggests that there is somebody on our roster other than Trae that Toronto does want. 

I say it's Bufkin but they want to look him over.... maybe at CP before pulling the trigger.   A half a season with Dennis and Siakam is going to have them running to us. 

• Like 1