• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Story to Watch....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Bey vs JJ  for the starting PF spot. 

As I watched last night, this seemed to be the story to watch.   We will have to see if JJ's outside shooting gets any better.   Bey has been in the weight room and his effort has not decreased.   JJ's dunks are dazzling but if he cannot hit an outside shot, his value on the court decreases.   For all the good that we seen in Bey, his defensive awareness is not there yet... but neither is JJ's.   Our young guys got caught up in a lot of dumb fouls and bad defensive positions.   But it's preseason and there's something to iron out.   OO fell into this too.   I know he's a better player but the way that Mobley had OO on a string was telling. 

I think our first half closeout speaks to what we can expect from our team.  We're better than most think.   They were missing Allen and it's still preseason but with the ball not sticking, everybody moving, and us playing for fast breaks, we're a better team. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Seems to me like Quin really likes JJ.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Hunter/Bey or Hunter/jj starting but also see Bey/JJ get a lot of minutes together.

I don't disagree about JJ.   However, I don't think Bey's trip to the weight room were for no reason.  I believe he's going to challenge for the PF position.  The fact that he shoots better than JJ makes it hard to turn him down now.   If JJ can improve his shooting, then maybe we can go with either him and Bey or Him and Hunter on the floor to start games.   If not, then maybe it's Hunter/Bey.   The one good point about JJ is his ability to see the floor and make a good pass.   However, he didn't display that versus Cleveland... but we know he has it. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Seems to me like Quin really likes JJ.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Hunter/Bey or Hunter/jj starting but also see Bey/JJ get a lot of minutes together.

I still think Bey / CC makes a lot of sense (with CC being a non-threat outside the paint and Bey a strong threat from the perimeter) with JJ / OO pairing in turn (where neither is a sniper but both can be threats to attempt a 3).  Agree we will see some time with Hunter / Bogi on the bench or at the SG position and Bey taking that SF role alongside JJ.  

• Premium Member

It's hard to say... What to do with Hunter.

It's also hard to say what to do with AJ.  If AJ is not a 2, (lateral movement, etc) then he becomes one more 3 that we have in the rotation. 

Right now, JJ is holding on to a spot (we don't know which one) simply because of Athleticism and Floor vision.   His shooting has to improve.

Like Hunter or not, he's about a 36% from three shooter and he stays in front of his an on defense.   He's hard to place as a BU and he doesn't do alot as a starter. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, swanlee said:

I think Bey and JJ should start with Hunter coming off the bench.

Hunter has been given plenty of chances. 

In 4 years Hunter has played 206 games. 

In 3 years Bey has played 229 games.

Injuries have played a role to some degree in Hunter's developmental progress. I'm hoping this is the year he moves past them and become a consistent player. Don't need spectacular, but I just need to know what I'll get from game to game.

22 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

In 4 years Hunter has played 206 games. 

In 3 years Bey has played 229 games.

Injuries have played a role to some degree in Hunter's developmental progress. I'm hoping this is the year he moves past them and become a consistent player. Don't need spectacular, but I just need to know what I'll get from game to game.

Don’t hold your breath.