• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question of the Day 1/5....

Diesel

• Premium Member

I have a doozy for you today.

Do you think we ought to develop a late game lead lineup?  Late in the game, when we have a lead... a lineup that can keep the lead.

Here's a few iterations I have been looking at:

1.   Trae, DJ, Forrest, JJ, OO.     With the exception of OO, all pretty good ball handlers. 

2.   Forrest, DJ, JJ, OO, CC.   The big lineup.  Specialty = Defense. 

3.  Trae, DJ, Bogi, Siddiq, JJ.   All shooters.   No defense. 

4.  Trae, DJ, Forrest, OO, CC - Big lineup again. Ball handling and rebounding. 

5.  Trae, Forrest, JJ, Bruno, CC - Tough lineup. 

6.  Trae, DJ, Bogi, Lundy, JJ  - All we do is shoot shoot shoot no matter what.   This is the spread offense. 

• Moderators

I don't think there should be a single late game lineup.  Matchup with the other team as best you can.

Forrest would rarely be part of that but OKC is a matchup where his impact can justify him getting minutes down the stretch.  Trae, DJ, and JJ are going to be part of nearly every stretch lineup absent a particular hot or cold hand on a given night.  Bogi, OO, CC, and Hunter will be regulars but whose particular role depends on the matchup and game situation.  Saddiq next.  Forrest and Bruno situationally.  Everyone else is a desperation play from what we've seen so far.  (Obviously if AJ rebounds or Kobe emerges they could shake that up.)

• Like 4

• Premium Member

much easier to just teach our home score keepers to be a little slower on pushing the stop/start button once we get a 4th quarter lead.

Yes Diesel, we need to do something different.  This Hawk team just melts late in the 4th quarter.  Quin Snyder and all his assistant coaches need to sit down with the entire roster and explain to them, "This ain't natural.  You've got to change.  This is how we're going to do it."

Then Quin and staff need to work their plan, once they have a plan.  If the plan doesn't work, change plans!

:smug:

The defensive letdown needs to be addressed.  But the players are also going to have to own their share of the offensive letdown too.  Too many late possessions resulting in poor shot clock/game clock management…questionable shot selection…simply missing decent looks…and turnovers…all adding up to the same thing.  Another key possession floundered and another late game opportunity for the opponent.

With that being said…they are finally getting closer to a full roster and getting a chance to log minutes as a more complete team.  The continuance of the 4th quarter issue is still concerning, but they’ve been able to overcome (or outlast…) it 2 games in a row now.  Up to this point, they’ve been forced to play the hand they were dealt.  But if they can keep guys in the lineup and keep logging minutes with the rotations that they actually want, they might not be far off from turning the corner.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't think there should be a single late game lineup.  Matchup with the other team as best you can.

Forrest would rarely be part of that but OKC is a matchup where his impact can justify him getting minutes down the stretch.  Trae, DJ, and JJ are going to be part of nearly every stretch lineup absent a particular hot or cold hand on a given night.  Bogi, OO, CC, and Hunter will be regulars but whose particular role depends on the matchup and game situation.  Saddiq next.  Forrest and Bruno situationally.  Everyone else is a desperation play from what we've seen so far.  (Obviously if AJ rebounds or Kobe emerges they could shake that up.)

I agree which is why I have several iterations.  It's really matchup dependent. 

BUT...

I also believe that Forrest is one of our better defensive guards.  Regardless of his standing, he is probably the first guard I'm reaching for in a defensive situation.   His 6'6" size and his weight/strength makes him a good guy to have on the floor when we have good offensive guards that we're playing against. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, shakes said:

much easier to just teach our home score keepers to be a little slower on pushing the stop/start button once we get a 4th quarter lead.

Funny thing.

Now.. when the player rolls the ball up the floor.. his picking up the ball starts the 24 second clock.. right?

Against OKC, our time keeper didn't start the game clock until the ball was picked up..

Am I wrong in thinking that's wrong?

2 hours ago, Chrimturn said:

The defensive letdown needs to be addressed.  But the players are also going to have to own their share of the offensive letdown too.  Too many late possessions resulting in poor shot clock/game clock management…questionable shot selection…simply missing decent looks…and turnovers…all adding up to the same thing.  Another key possession floundered and another late game opportunity for the opponent.

With that being said…they are finally getting closer to a full roster and getting a chance to log minutes as a more complete team.  The continuance of the 4th quarter issue is still concerning, but they’ve been able to overcome (or outlast…) it 2 games in a row now.  Up to this point, they’ve been forced to play the hand they were dealt.  But if they can keep guys in the lineup and keep logging minutes with the rotations that they actually want, they might not be far off from turning the corner.

Even with the Pacers shooting 70%…Disregard any and all optimism I may have had in this previous post.  

• Sad 1