• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Post #3 

Interesting post on Edey from last year as a Junior. I wasn't really high on him. He didn't qualify at a lot of NBA actions so I was down on him but some people were high on him and this writer from No Ceilings was one of them: 

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/edey-does-it-projecting-zach-edey?utm_source=direct&r=yk5tt&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&triedRedirect=true

Post #4

This is a good podcast. I really enjoyed it. They mention Edey as a 10-24 guy and scouts he's talking to have compared him to Walker Kessler. While I don't see Kessler as I felt Kessler was a superior defensive prospect and I see Edey as a superior offensive prospect. I think it's what I expect in terms of impact. Kessler currently has a 1.7 WAR, on pace for 2.1, and last year he had a 5.3 WAR with Conley who helped him a ton on offense in particular. I guess the idea is that both are rim/paint protectors but Kessler was in a completely different class just due to his fluidity in my scout. That said, Keith Smith was one of the host and I found it to be a good listen. I clipped it so you can skip to the topic. 

https://tankathon.com/players/zach-edey

v. 

https://tankathon.com/players/walker-kessler

• Thanks 2

Post #5

I am a big fan of these videos as they just get straight to the synergy stats. We see a 3% increase in scoring from PnR and cuts. from 13 to 16%. I wish he would show screen assists. This is something the NBA tracks but Edey is ELITE at setting screens and that's probably one of his best traits as an NBA prospect. Even though we are a team that sets a lot of screens from our bigs, their screen assists totals are okay, especially Clint but he's regressed in this area. Gobert and Sabonis are the elite screeners in the NBA and Edey has the screens to join them at he likes the contact. I believe it's due to his hockey background of being a defenseman. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/hustle?dir=D&sort=SCREEN_AST_PTS

From last year: 

I don't think a lot of people invest too much time into Edey's film other than team scouts. You have to love him to really pay attention and there is no one else on Purdue worth watching as a prospect so it's easy to act like he doesn't exist or he's just a limited post-up big who's BIG. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

To the esteemed scouts and front office personnel of the Hawks, I implore you to thoroughly examine Zach Edey’s game. Engage in comprehensive film study, converse with his coaches, and listen to his interviews. It’s crucial to understand his game beyond the surface level. Dismissing him as merely a low post big would be a disservice to his skill set.

This year, observe Trae’s performance closely. You’ll notice a significant increase in impact compared to previous years, despite this being arguably the best season of his career. My scouting report, along with other brief reports on Edey, should provide valuable insights. I firmly believe that, except for Wemby, there isn’t another player from the last five drafts who would be a better fit for this team, especially alongside Trae.

Here are some key attributes of Edey’s game:

• Exceptional movement for a big man
  • Superior mental acuity, including basketball IQ, feel for the game, and awareness
  • An athletic freak for his size (7’4, 306 lbs)
  • Outstanding hand skills
  • Excellent body control for his size
  • High-energy player
  • Consistent scorer
  • Constant movement in and around the post
  • Top-tier screen setter, a potential leader in screen assists given sufficient minutes
  • Proficient roller as a pick-and-roll big

Just listen to this: 

I’ve been scouting big men for over two decades. Only a handful truly comprehend their role at this level and understand their value.

The metrics support this assessment. Even a cursory glance at Tankathon reveals that Edey is in a league of his own: https://tankathon.com/players/zach-edey

You can also compare him with some of the greats: 

https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=zach-edey--alonzo-mourning--shaquille-o-neal--tim-duncan--al-horford

Edey’s relentless motor, reminiscent of Alonzo Mourning’s during his college and NBA days, sets him apart.

Edey may not be the right fit for every team, but he is for us. We have a player who utilizes his center more than anyone else in NBA history. Let’s seize this opportunity. Draft Edey, and let’s aim for championship contention for the next decade while extending Trae’s career.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

In response to an inquiry regarding the significance of Zach Edey for Trae Young, compared to other players, I offer the following analysis:

Consider D. Murray as an example. For Murray, the most crucial teammate is the one who can best facilitate playmaking on offense, apart from himself. In our case, that could be either Trae Young or Jalen Johnson. While Murray may not necessarily ease their on-ball duties, they certainly simplify his game. Centers, in Murray’s strategy, are primarily valued for their screening abilities. They occasionally serve as dunker spots during his drives, but such instances are not frequent. Centers are simply not important for Dejounte. 

Contrast this with Trae Young’s approach. Young utilizes the center as an integral part of his game, almost as an extension of himself. This is the most significant difference. The center becomes the most critical player for Young, used extensively for big man movement actions, setting screens, and as leverage against the defensive scheme. Young’s Hall of Fame-level awareness allows him to exploit these advantages on every offensive possession. As Rajon Rondo has previously noted, Young has already mastered the offensive game.

This analysis underscores the importance of a player like Zach Edey in enhancing the effectiveness of a player like Trae Young.

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to see it, but I just can't.  I just disagree with the fit.  Yes, Trae uses the center position in his pick and roll game to a large extent as a lob threat.  Edey is more of a roll and post up threat than a lob threat.  Almost all of his roll man opportunities end in a post up.  I just don't see the quick twitch or quick leaping ability to be a lob threat.  Yes, he has the height.  

Defensively, the team would be very limited with what they can do with him.

Zach Edey, on the Hawks is at best a 10 mpg player who gets played off the floor in post season play because of his deficiencies on defense.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'm trying to see it, but I just can't.  I just disagree with the fit.  Yes, Trae uses the center position in his pick and roll game to a large extent as a lob threat.  Edey is more of a roll and post up threat than a lob threat.  Almost all of his roll man opportunities end in a post up.  I just don't see the quick twitch or quick leaping ability to be a lob threat.  Yes, he has the height.  

Defensively, the team would be very limited with what they can do with him.

Zach Edey, on the Hawks is at best a 10 mpg player who gets played off the floor in post season play because of his deficiencies on defense.  

He's an elite PnR finisher not because he's a lob threat. It's because he understands positioning, body control, terrific hands, feel for the game, where to move off the ball, and his motor doesn't run dry. You basically saying, Jokic would be a bad PnR threat because he's not an above the rim finisher as if he isn't big as hell. He moves very well for his size, hes not gonna move like OO. He's not an undersized big. 

Defensively, he's a tremendous rim and paint protector. He's gotten better in terms of defending the perimeter although the major issues are still major like close outs and switches but the most important thing for bigs is rim and paint protection to most NBA teams and he has tremendous mental acuity on defense as well. That will help him make adjustments on a daily, weekly, and yearly level. 

It's really hard to play high mental acuity guys off the floor. They tend to make adjustments in real time and communicate exceptionally well in regards to that possession. I really don't believe you are paying enough attention to him. Really watch him, not just watch the Purdue games but watch just him. He makes adjustments in real time to his responsibility defensively. 

At best for the Hawks, we are looking at a perennial MVP candidate and a metrics marvel who's prototype will likely never be seen again like Shaq. There aren't many 25ppg+, 12rpg+, 2 bpg+, drawing 8frapg+, off elite efficiency and breaking a lot of OBPM and Offensive rating metrics out there and coming out as prospects like Edey.

Essentially, @KB21 thinks Edey is just big. That's simple even though no one big has metrics even 1/100 as good or film 1/100 as good. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I'm trying to see it, but I just can't. 

I'm here with you at the moment. Still time for me to be convinced I guess. Just not there yet.

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You basically saying, Jokic would be a bad PnR threat because he's not an above the rim finisher as if he isn't big as hell. 

The difference with Jokic is he can:

Pick-n-Float to the 3pt line

Pick-n-Pop with his face up game from midrange or in the paint

Pick-n-Roll to the rim and finish without it being an above the rim dunk.

More importantly, he can handle the ball and make plays after t getting the ball out of either PnF, PnP, PnR - that's what makes Jokic most dangerous 

24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The difference with Jokic is he can:

Pick-n-Float to the 3pt line

Pick-n-Pop with his face up game from midrange or in the paint

Pick-n-Roll to the rim and finish without it being an above the rim dunk.

More importantly, he can handle the ball and make plays after t getting the ball out of either PnF, PnP, PnR - that's what makes Jokic most dangerous 

PnP is the mid or extended to the 3pt line for a the player popping out. 

He's not allowed to shoot 3s. His coach doesn't want him doing that. This is college Basketball, these kids must follow the coaches orders. 

I never heard of a PnF in my life. 

He is elite as a PnR finisher. That's what matters the most. 

What makes Jokic, Jokic is He's damn near elite at everything these days. He's an elite Helper, He's an elite offensive hub, he's elite at the PnR and PnP, he's elite in the paint, he's elite off big man movement, and he can shoot for a big. He's climbing the list of ATG for bigs and might end up the offensive goat. He just gets better every year. There was a time people thought Nurkic was the best big on the Nuggets. That was quickly dispelled. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I never heard of a PnF in my life. 

It's my own acronym for setting a picking and floating to the 3pt line....I used it back when Al was here in Atlanta.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who is the best Big that provides all of the following:

1. shooting

2. scoring versatility

3. playmaking 

4. defense

Big or center because Matas B could be in the mix for shooting or scoring versatility 

I'll do one for bigs overall and one for true centers

Bigs (Big wings, 4s, and 5s)

1. Matas B., one of the best natural shooters in this class for any position

2. Sarr - definitely the most versatile scorer that's bigger.

3. Flip - best playmaking Big in this class. 

4. Clingan - best defensive Big in this class. 

True centers

1. Ware - best proven shooting center and its not even close right now. 

2. Edey - best proven scorer in this class and scores from the paint, movement, FT line, and off put backs as well. Extremely difficult coverage. 

3. Clingan - while this class as several good playmaking true 5s with Edey, Kalkbrenner, and Bona, Donovan is the best true center playmaker and he's the 2nd best Big man playmaker behind Flip.

4. Clingan - Edey, Missi, Ware, and Bona all show some good things, Clingan just has the clear edge on D as a true 5 on D. Stamina and health are the biggest challenges for Clingan as a 5 long term. His productivity as a defensive 5 is the best in this class. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who is the best Big that provides all of the following:

1. shooting/scoring versatility

2. playmaking 

3. defense

There is only one that combines all of that.  Filipowski.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, KB21 said:

There is only one that combines all of that.  Filipowski.

I am not sure on the defensive piece, but I am intrigued by Filipowski generally.  

My instinct though is the Hawks should lean more into defense then anything else in the off season.