• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Landry Fields: How does the having the #1 Pick affect what you do in Free Agency and with the rest of the roster?

JayBirdHawk

I do wonder if having to factor in the salary of the #1 pick has given them agita about how to make the cap economics work.  I hope not, but I am also prepared to see some salary jettisoning deals.  Could just be something minor like not offering the qualifying offer to Bey.

I still support moving Murray for a better roster fit.

• Moderators

I wish i could say i have confidence in Landry but i don't...yet.  Not for any good reason but all i hear from him is 'stick to our principals', 'mindful of salaries', 'all available options'.   Dude say more.  

• Like 1

I think the Magic could be a trade partner to consider.  They are way under the cap, looking to make the next step.  They desperately need a dynamic guard who can get his own shot, like Murray.  Suggs as a 3 and D shooting guard who doesn't need the ball would seem a nice fit with Trae.  Plus they control a lot of first rounders, 2 next year, 2 in 2026. 

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I wish i could say i have confidence in Landry but i don't...yet.  Not for any good reason but all i hear from him is 'stick to our principals', 'mindful of salaries', 'all available options'.   Dude say more.  

Why would he give any more details on our direction in the draft? He should barely say anything so we dont tip off our hand.

But its pretty simple. Draft Sarr to our current roster and see what happens.

Edited by swanlee

6 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Why would he give any more details on our direction in the draft? He should barely say anything so we dont tip off our hand.

This isnt a critique solely based on this one interview, but part of the job of every "official" in our team is to create enthusiasm. On some level theyre all in marketing. 

I think it's fair to want at least a little something from Landry, Ressler, etc. A constant "we're just tampering expectations" like line isn't really great. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, swanlee said:

We got the #1 pick, we are the news. Landry should focus on the task at hand he doesn't need to talk to much.

Clearly.  But he is doing interviews so use the time in front of the mic that you have.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

You could easily say something like vague, "We think there some really exciting players in this draft and we are really excited to meet with them and do our due diligence.  This is a huge development for the team and really opens some doors to us.  The future is bright for the Hawks."  It doesn't say if you are shopping the pick.  Doesn't say who you are looking at but in either case if you talk up the talent in this draft it works to build enthusiam for the pick as well as to build the trade market if you are open to shopping it.  No real downside.

No downside at all. Which it what makes it so maddening. And it perfectly builds enthusiasm for this franchises future like you said. 

But do we EVER do that? Nah. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, swanlee said:

It's not draft direction that i'm looking for.  It's some kind of commitment to a direction.   Of course maybe he really does want to trade Trae which would explain it.   But there's literally no downside to saying 'We can't wait to add a #1 pick to team with Trae, DJ, JJ and our other great players'.   Instead it's "well this is going to cost us an extra $6 million so we may have to get rid of some guys.  everything is on the table".  I mean how does that feel as a fan?  Can't imagine how it feels as a player, especially a franchise player.  

This is why Lou is saying trade it (which i don't agree with).  We are high on Sarr but as we've seen these guys don't often come in and start or even contribute to winning right away.  And it is TIME TO WIN.  

• Like 1

More double talk from the Hawks.  Prediction:  They trade the first pick so that they don't have to pay the market rate for the first pick.  They then trade DJM and Murray for a bucket of wings and potato chips.  They are not gonna go into the luxury tax.  Their wins to player cost ratio is 101 percent.  That looks good to the investors.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

More double talk from the Hawks.  Prediction:  They trade the first pick so that they don't have to pay the market rate for the first pick.  They then trade DJM and Murray for a bucket of wings and potato chips.  They are not gonna go into the luxury tax.  Their wins to player cost ratio is 101 percent.  That looks good to the investors.

You seen the price of wings? You gotta hope we get tuna sandwiches and Mr. Pibb out dis bia...

IMG_4054.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

Typo. They will trade Murray and Capela to save money.

• Haha 2