• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who Thinks Denver Nuggets Better Than Hawks?

AHF

• Moderators

I don't get the people who keep complaining that Diaw is not a player to build around and that the Hawks made a bad move by getting rid of players they weren't going to build around like Wallace, Ratliff, etc.

Here is the Denver Nuggets roster post breakup:

Juwan Howard

Maybyner Hilario

Rodney White

Shammond Williams

Donnell Harvey

Marcus Camby

Vincent Yarbrough

Jeff Trepagnier

Chris Andersen

Lorinza Harrington

Nikoloz Tskitishvili

Ryan Bowen

John Crotty

Predrag Savovic

Devin Brown

Adam Harrington

Why is this roster so much better than Jason Terry, high lottery pick, 2 mid first rounders, Boris Diaw, Stephen Jackson, etc.?

• Premium Member

The problem is we dumped the entire roster. We are putting all of our eggs in the free agent basket. Top Tier free agent players want to win and the way theis franchise has been raped will not attract anyone to Atlanta. Atlanta already has a bad reputation around the NBA as a team plyers do not want to play for and these transactions are getting a laugh around the entire league. Wjho are you going to get as a coach? I've heard the Doc Rivers thing but who knows now, the new ownership cannot get league approval. We are a team in desparation now.

Well look at Denver's roster now, good mix of veterans and youth that are winning and Denver isn't the best place to play. Once they shipped of McDyess they got better. This league is ruled by the cap and there are only so many dollars to go around. As players come off their rookie contracts they have to make tough decisions. The fact is many promising restricted free agent rookie contracts are coming up and the Hawks are in a position to cash in. Plus once ownership is complete we will have a new face to the franchise, hello Nique, and a brand new facility to play in. If you are a young guy that is talented and wants to put a stamp on a franchise this is the place.

Denver, Cleveland and Atlanta. These are the teams of the future. I might also add Miami to this list. The teams swimming in Mediocrity now will be toast in the future.

Quote:

Well look at Denver's roster now, good mix of veterans and youth that are winning and Denver isn't the best place to play. Once they shipped of McDyess they got better. This league is ruled by the cap and there are only so many dollars to go around. As players come off their rookie contracts they have to make tough decisions. The fact is many promising restricted free agent rookie contracts are coming up and the Hawks are in a position to cash in. Plus once ownership is complete we will have a new face to the franchise, hello Nique, and a brand new facility to play in. If you are a young guy that is talented and wants to put a stamp on a franchise this is the place.

Denver, Cleveland and Atlanta. These are the teams of the future. I might also add Miami to this list. The teams swimming in Mediocrity now will be toast in the future.

atlanta isnt a team of the future yet. not even close. you have nothing right now.

the thing is we got nene AND camby for dice, then drafted melo and got dre in FA. itll be tough for the hawks to match that.

Thank you Nugz fan. You got value for Dyess, and thats my problem with our trade. We got nothing at all. Young players have small contracts anyway, so it's not like they would have killed our cap. We should of gotten some young players with talent and still had plenty of cap room. Picks are good too but not 18+.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that all the good free agents will only go to teams that have a chance to win.

That isn't remotely the case.

Quentin Richardson won't sign with San Antonio for $3 million when he can get $6 million from Atlanta.

Kobe Bryant isn't going to sign in Phoenix for a salary starting at $7 million when he can get a starting salary of $9 million in Atlanta.

are executed in the first place.

Why is Q Richardson worth $6 million?

You get cap room and you feel obligated to use it. Next thing you know, you've wasted $6 million a year on Hendu, Wright, Mohammed, etc., etc, etc. No superstars sign with you and out of desperation you waste the money by overpaying mediocre talent.

We should have kept part of what we had (SAR), and gotten rid of JT, Ratliff, Mohammed, etc.

I truly believe if SAR had a decent true PG, and then you brought in someone like Kobe or TMac, we would begin to be a good team.

As it stands now, there is no way on earth we will get a top level free agent to sign here. We gave away ALL of our bargaining chips for cap space. It won't do us any good.

I hear all this bullshit being spouted that says Atlanta isn't an attractive place for a free agent to sign, but there are no reasons for stating this.

What makes Denver more attractive than Atlanta? What makes Phoenix more attractive than Atlanta?

The chance to win means nothing to the top tier free agents, because those free agents believe that THEY will be the reason the team wins.

Atlanta is Kobe Bryant's best opportunity to land in a major media market where he doesn't have to share the spotlight with any other player in the city.

why is McGrady chomping at the bit to get out of Orlando, instead of taking over games and winning single handedly? Garnett, as great as he is was sick of trying to be a one man team. IF we ever get a "superstar", our superstar would be a one man team. Chicago is certainly a more attractive market than Atlanta, and they couldn't sign a "top tier" free agent, even though they maneuvered to gain all the cap space.

I think it is fine to make cap space and hope for the best, but all we have now is cap space. There are only so many "impact" free agents, and behind that, there are mediocre level free agents. Probably not as good as the players we gave away for nothing. A better approach would have been to build around what was already good with our franchise, and trade off the crap, like JT, like Theo, like Hendu, etc., etc., etc.

Quote:

I hear all this bullshit being spouted that says Atlanta isn't an attractive place for a free agent to sign, but there are no reasons for stating this.

What makes Denver more attractive than Atlanta?

arena, team/winning, city, fans, GM, owner, players, talent, future, cash, etc...

The fans are going to be the ones that are desperate to sign anyone next year, but I wouldn't bet on Billy to overspend.

He has repeatedly said that he is in no hurry to spend that money, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt on that until he proves otherwise.

I don't think we would have though we could have gotten Stephen Jackson in here for the million or so we squeezed him for, but we did, and that's a notch for Billy.

It's going to be the Hawks fans who can't wait for a better product than is inevitably going to be on the court that will be willing to overpay for players like Q or Adonal Foyle....but I hope that people remember that they shouldn't overpay for Lorenzen Wright type players, and are patient while we build the roster with sound financial decisions.

• Moderators

Quote:

The fans are going to be the ones that are desperate to sign anyone next year, but I wouldn't bet on Billy to overspend.

He has repeatedly said that he is in no hurry to spend that money, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt on that until he proves otherwise.

I don't think we would have though we could have gotten Stephen Jackson in here for the million or so we squeezed him for, but we did, and that's a notch for Billy.

It's going to be the Hawks fans who can't wait for a better product than is inevitably going to be on the court that will be willing to overpay for players like Q or Adonal Foyle....but I hope that people remember that they shouldn't overpay for Lorenzen Wright type players, and are patient while we build the roster with sound financial decisions.

Great post. To be able to make this cap room worth something we need to avoid overpaying for players like we did in the first place.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

well this turned out to be pretty funny.

Amazing that it is a Nuggets fan with K-Mart on his roster for max dollars who has never averaged as many ppg as JJ did last year or averaged 10 rpg as a PF (in fact, he only has one season with 8.5 rpg or more) who made this comment?