• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What has been Knights best move as GM of ATL?

Diesel

Three stand out to me. The two we got in the draft

and signing Jax. Since the three of them are here,

that is the best.

We needed Glover and Jason Terry. That was good, too.

Since we don't know what we will get as the result of

the trades, that has yet to be answered. Hopefully,

that will be the best of all!!

Can't really disagree with anything he has done so far.

Diesel forgot about this one, but it was the best move by far, in my opinion. How did we get rid of Dog without taking back bad contracts???

Some people even complained about that deal! Guh?

I think drafting Diaw was second best. He got something of high value with a low pick. Trading Reef/Ratliff wasn't that great an accomplishment because they are both valuable, and I'm sure other teams wanted them. I still like all of his deals, though.

• Admin

I agree completely. Dumping bigdog was his greatest move so far. Bigdog is a cancer. We're all seeing it now in Philly. The guy will be out of the league in two years. He's where Glen Rice was a few years ago. An aging, one dimensional player who refuses to change.

Getting rid of Reef and THeos contracts was a good move, very good. Any GM could have gotten rid of them. But few could have done it and not taken in any bad contracts.

Drafting Diaw was also a good move. He's considered one of the potentially better Rookies. If he can develop a decent shot, he'll be something.

like everyone else... i agree, BIG DOG trade was the best move

i also support his selection of DIAW... after seeing many of the rookies play, we could have not done any better other than DIAW at that pick (u could make an argument with Howard, but the way i see it... Howard = more offensive production, Diaw = more defensive production)... u couldnt go wrong with either players...

• Premium Member

You have to understand the context. I said I didn't like the Dog trade because it didn't accomplish anything. To get rid of Dog for nothing and still have 60 million dollars in contracts for the next 2 years made no sense. I felt that the Dog trade made the most sense after we got rid of Theo/SAR's contract.

Let's face it... This team couldn't win without Dog, so why keep it together. I told you that in the offseason, they proved it in the regular season. The removal of 1 player didn't solve the problems that we had. Also... Moving JT should still be done.

Of late I have liked the idea of trying to move JT to either Chicago or Orlando for a shot to move up and take their pick in the draft.

It would be good to take Howard/J. Smith and Darius Rice out of this draft.

Wrong.

They cleared off Dog's cap space a year early by getting Brandon's contract. Brandon's contract is now off the books whereas Robinson's would not have been off the books.

In this process, Atlanta dealt Robinson before he became a completely untradeable player. Right now, the only thing anyone would give for Robinson is a bad contract. Philadelphia was begging teams to take him off their hands at the trade deadline.

Not to mention that Atlanta got a first round pick out of the deal as well. It may not be till 2007, but it is a first round pick non-the-less.

Getting rid of Robinson got Atlanta out of luxury tax territory.

• Premium Member

It was not wrong. I knew exactly why they traded Dog...

But It didn't make any sense at the time to get rid of him and still be over the salary cap for both 03-04 and 04-05.

My opinion was that it didn't make any sense to make us less competitive and at the same time not put us in a position to get a FA of any kind or a high pick. When you looked at the whole picture, it was the most worthless move.

But when you talk about getting rid of the rest of our big contracts.. and making cap space for 04-05 and 05-06... That makes a lot of sense.

IN essence, I didn't like the move because it was neither here nor there. We were not rebuilding because we didn't get close to getting under the cap. Our pick was a very vague pick from Philly in 2007 (people still don't know all the details about that pick).

THAT IS NOT REBUILDING.

What that was was getting under the luxury tax so you don't have to pay it. In terms of winning, you take away 20/6. You go back to a team that can't win 2 in a row. And all you can say is well, we don't have to pay the luxury tax next year.

THAT's neither here nor there and THATS WHY I DISLIKED THE MOVE.

IN it's context, I don't think you can even call it a good move for the team (being different than the franchise).

Finally though, Knight truly started rebuilding. That makes that move of Big Dog make more sense! Had we finished the season just like we were, the Big Dog trade would have been just as stupid as trading Nique.

The Dog trade made no sense to me if we weren't going to follow through and blow the whole thing up. It's like we were half pregnant. Some thought that losing Dog was addition by subtraction but based on our poor play this season after he was moved, that clearly was not the case. The whole team was flawed (undersized frontline, lack of ballhandlers, etc) and while Dog may have been ONE of the bigger flaws (if not the BIGGEST), we were going nowhere when we dumped Dog without getting a good player in return. The pick we got in the deal MIGHT, help us in the future but if the deal was made for the future, then blowing up the whole thing as Knight has now done, was the right thing to do.

We could have got Spree, Van Horn could have gone to NY (as he did) and Dog could have gone to Philly (as he did). MIN just gets cut out of the deal.

Spree has been very productive in MIN and is a great 3rd option (maybe 4th when Wally gets healthy) for that team. He would have been a decent fit here for us if we were trying to win now and wouldn't have been bad in a lineup of:

Theo

Reef

Jax

Spree

JT