• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A few comments

KB21

First, I'm glad Pete squashed the rumors of the Sprewell trade. I'm glad he has taken the stand to not go after character problems (rules out Lamar Odom as well). If Jason Terry is to be traded eventually, it will be for a reliable player that can make us a better team and won't embarass the Hawks off the court.

Secondly, the Hawks summer league team. Even though it is just a summer league, you have to love the way this group of guys are playing as a team. Eric Mussleman has done a terrific job of coaching this group of players. If this rubs off on the regular season team, then the Hawks will be in good shape. Some of the things I want to see carry over:

1. Getting to the free throw line and making the free throws. The Hawks summer league team has gotten to the line 140 times in four games and made 111 of those free throws for a 79.3% clip. This is very good. One of the easiest ways to score is getting to the foul line and making those free shots. The Hawks didn't do this enough last year, as Shareef was the only player who could consistently draw fouls and get to the line (though he could have gotten to the line much more if the refs had called the fouls). This is also a sign that we have players going towards the basket more often instead of settling for jumpers.

2. The defensive effort that is being given. Against the Bucks, the Hawks were outsized inside, but guys like Udonis Haslem and Mario Bennet held their own defensively. We are going to be outsized in the regular season, so lets hope this defensive intensity and the emphasis on defense will carry over.

3. Dan Dickau's seemingly constant improvement. Fellas, this guy is a very good basketball player. He just keeps getting better, and his court vision and passing ability are just tremendous. It's going to be hard to keep him off the floor. I think you will see Dickau and Terry in the same backcourt more often than many of you think, even if it creates a size disadvantage for us. This kid is too good to not get around 25 minutes a game though. We will have to wait and see, but he may be the best pure point guard to come out of this draft.

Guest Walter

Question for those who have seen any of the preseason games. We've heard about the play of Haslem at Pf. What about the play of Bennet? He looks to be doing very good as well. I used to like him alot at ASU(?). How do the two compare as say Pfs?

W

Haslem is a stronger presence down low, IMO, and a bigger body.

Bennett has been playing the center position, but he is undersized there. I think he could play somewhere in the NBA, but I'm not sure that place is Atlanta.

• Admin

The thing about Haslem is that he is undersized. The announcers said he is closer to 6'8 than 6'9.

Its ok to be undersized in the summer leagues. However, we already have 2 undersized pfs in Hendu and SAR. I don't think we need another one.

• Premium Member

I think Hendu lists as 6'10 235.

That's bigger than Theo. Hendu has played some C. Is he really undersized... What size are we looking for at PF. 6'10 245? Someone that can bang with Oneal?

I don't know about Haslem but something tells me that we may not have seen the last of Smith? If he can come up with a good excuse, he's still a project worth trying.

When I say Haslem has a bigger body, I don't mean in height. I know Haslem is shorter than you want your PF to be, but he is a thick, muscular guy. Mario Bennett is taller than Haslem, but he is more wirey than Haslem.

I like the thoughts of having a "Wide Body" on our team.

Too many times the Hawks get pushed around under the

basket, run over by giant sized players.

Haslem seems to fit the description that I want us to have

available for those occasions when we are being

manhandled up close. He could come off the bench and

give us a presence there that we seemed to lack for a

long time.

Bigger, not taller - Hawks need Bigger. We're not talking

about a starter here - probably someone that is far down

the bench. But, we need some muscle and weight to

throw into the fray and be able to clog up the middle and

not be run over.

You guessed it- I like this guy. I think he brings what

we need and at a very reasonable price. Good

rebounder, pretty good athlete, and BIG!

Gray Mule

Honestly I knew the Spreewell rumor was nonsense that is why I never responded toany of the post about it, Remember how we were going to trade deke to toronto for T-Mac.

Anyway I think Haslim is going to do it, And this is coming from someone who has beef with him personally. I will include UD in my prays I really hope he does well.

Good Post KB21

BNothing Really its personal. We went to college together and have some differences nothing big. I really do like him as a player, he beat me pretty badly on the court and he plays with a lot of heart. I have to admit he really surprised me I didn't think his game was this developed he is ready for the pros.

I wish him the best of luck and I am happy to see he will be a hawk. But I will devulge this Haslim hates the Hawks. But then again that was before he was one I think his opinion is different now.