Examination of Possible Starting Lineup....

Diesel

• Premium Member

JT - Expected to become a PG... That means play defense and offense. I really think that Royal Ivey could become the defensive PG that JT is not. Maybe the pickup of 1 vet (depending on D. Smith).

J-Chill - This is the position that will take the most watching. J-Chill will have to be able to run the floor, pass the ball, and score while guarding on the perimeter. The good news out of Standford is that J-Chill is a lock down defensive player on the perimeter.

Lil Al - I think for this season, Harrington will start off at Sf and play lots of PF with the encouragement of J-Smith and Diaw coming in at Sf. Offensively, we will have lots of clear outs. Defensively, he will man the wing. Diaw will be used to lock down probably on the best offensive player at the 2/3 position.

Big Al - Yes, the return of Big Al. In a contract year, expect Al to play harder. I think his lateral movement and overall speed will keep him off the floor, but to begin the season, look for that team C to be out there running with the young guns. Actually, we won't start running full out until Feb... Which means that we will play Hendu so that other teams can get a look at him and maybe offer us good players for him going into Feb.

Damp - I believe that GS is stubborn enough not to take a SNT and we are smart enough to lock up a 6'11 265 pound beast. Pryz is a good compliment to Damp. That means that Collier will play some C and some pF too. His job is simple. Rebound, start an outlet.

For the first half of the year, we will be a defensive/halfcourt type team... But we got the runners...

when we play: JT/J-Chill/J-Smooth/Harrington/Damp or Collier we are now in running mode... We will be a fast break team. Until that time, I think we will play more of a halfcourt game based on isos of the PF/Sf and kicks to the shooters.

at PF in that starting lineup. The reason is because of Collier's ability to step out and hit the J. That would allow Lil' Al to operate in the low post. I just shudder to think of how pitiful our low post game would be with Damp and Hendu starting up front. At least they are both terrific offensive rebounders though. They would likely get plenty of opportunites for those!

If we get Damp though, it wouldn't surprise me to se Lil' AL starting at PF and Diaw starting at SF. That team could really get up and down the floor.

• Premium Member

I will agree with you to a point. Once we sign Pryz, I agree that it will happen like that... however, until we sign Pryz, expect Hendu/CC to be Pfs.

Another thing is that I think that we will probably showcase Hendu. This is his contract year. If we are anywhere close to good come Jan, I suspect we will have Hendu out there playing starters minutes at PF trying to swing a trade that can get us what we need. Even if we are not in position, Hendu could be used to help move somebody else. I would have to consider that hendu/JT for NVE/Filler kind of deal.

what's sorta odd too...and btw, TMac you're way off base btw, as if Crawford starts, who plays C? your post indicates that you would have Crawford or 'Lil A (sidenote two, did Diesel patent this name, and the rest of us accept it?) anyhow, Tmac13...no way. At the least Collier will start pt at Center (I shudder at the thought).

however, back to my original intent...anyone else recall when Hendu played C regularly with Theo out, post Deek trade?

he did ok, as I recall. Feel free to correct me. But, when healthy, Hendu IS a decent player. At least he's smart and he boxes out...it's nothing that will get you excited, or even get you off of your feet...but he's what you migth deem a "serviceable bigman."

me, I like resinging Pryz...and young bigman who will only rarely take shots away from other players...yet has the strengths (bourds, FAIR defense against most centers, and the occasional blocker shot (and not from the weekside). He outlet passes, not decently, but VERY WELL. For a running team, esp. one without a true pg player, that's the best thing you could have from a bigman.

While it's true that this idea depends on JChill being as much of a well-rounded, growing player, as I deem him to be, and that he can score....as well as the rotation of Diaw, JSmooth, and the occassional Donta...well, I think it'll be interesting.

• Premium Member

Yes to all accounts...

Hendu does play well with minutes when healthy. I can see him and CC playing the Pf position this year as we showcase both for trades. What Hendu brings is a scrappy rebounder. Hendu's defense will be suspect.

What CC brings is a scrappy defender.

My thought now is if we are going to pay these guys 10 million + we got to use them!!

• Premium Member

Hendu's not as good a defender as CC. I see them two as being situational.

CC definitely runs the floor better and defends better. Hendu definitely rebounds better. It all depends on the situation.