• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How much are u guys willin to give RAY ALLEN?

cyman3

dude wants $100 million for 5 years? considerin wat KOBE received this year, Allen thinks its a fair deal (basically sayin hes at kobes level, well- right below KOBES level).

$20 million a year, hmm...

if the SONICS dont give him that contract extension, he'll be an unrestricted FA next year. and again, we'll be big players (or try to be) in free agency next year.

wats the most u guys are willing to give him?

i would love to have a pure shooting SG in ATL. it'll remind us of the SMITTY days. the closest thing to SMITTY was JIM JACKSON (aka- JOURNEY MAN #1)- so i would love to have RAY ALLEN here.

• Admin

let the market teach him a lesson.

This is really the double edged sword. All of these owners feel the way we do. They know that these guys aren't worth it. The problem is that few of them are willing to take the losses that come from standing up to guys like this and letting them walk.

If every team in the league did this, we wouldn't even need a salary cap.

Signing a player like Ray Allen to the kind of money he's seeking does not seem to fit the team's current rebuilding strategy. It seems to me that these huge contracts really hamper the teams that give them. They end up with one or two good players but are unable to surround them with the kind of support they need to make a difference as far as challenging for the championship.

With current status with regards to the salary cap and the luxury tax, I'd have to put my financial talents to work on a break even analysis. Will Ray Allen generate a return on $100M over the course of 5 years?

-Ticket sales increase (marginal at best)

-New Sponsor support (marginal at best)

-Take team deep into playoffs (Seattle did not go)

-Other (marginal at best)

I think it is a losing proposition. Ray Allen is not the ticket draw that would get Atlantans to fill Phillips (not like a VC or AI). Even with current members of the team showing some real promise, Ray Allen would only be a piece of the puzzle (and certainly not a piece worth $100M).

If the Hawks are going to stick to the current rebuilding strategy (developing talent from the draft), any key player would probably come through the draft (or maybe from an ending contract via trade), not from FA'cy. I really doubt that, with BK at the Helm, the Hawks will be offering any $100M contracts any time soon, not even to Walker should he carry the team to the second round of the playoffs.

• Premium Member

You already know it. Though, I don't know if it's the players who think they're worth that much as much as it is their agents.

"Hey baby, I can get you Kobe Bryant money."

"Really?"

"Yeah, think about it. You're a +20ppg scorer, you're a better shooter...considered by some as the best in the league. You've got no titles baby, but hey! You didn't have no Shaq either baby!"

"You're right!"

"I know baby. And think about it. Career scrub like Dampier gets 10+ million? Project Miles, who has done what exactly? Gets 6 or 7 millies? We'll get you that 20 mil baby EASY!"

"Do it!"

Then come next off season...

From ESPN News Service

"After a suprisingly decent inagural season, the Charlotte Bobcats have taken the bait on Ray Allen - who is coming off of a career season (...) sources say the deal is close to the $100 Million he was seeking. Meanwhile, three other teams, including the Sonics are in the hunt for one of the league's premier shooters..."

Yeah man, it's coming.

that money is close (somewhat) to kobes. however, Kobe plays defense is an allaround better player than ray allen.

that bein said, i think Allen should get roughly $12 million a year (AVG) or so.

but seeing Ginobili get close to $9-10 a year (i think?), i think Allen will get close to wat he wants.

ray did have a sick season last year after he came back from injury...he was on MVP pace for awhile, except for the fact that he only played half the season, so wouldn't be considered...

23ppg

5.1rpg

4.8apg

1.27apg

.90 ft%

.392 3pt%

.44 fg%

however, we can't give him 100mil...that's too much, especially since we're gonna have to pay smooth/harrington in a few years

i'd LOVE to have allen here, but not at that price

Allen/Smooth/Harrington in 2-3 years could be the best 2/3/4 combo in the league, but paying 35+ mil/year (adding in smooth and harrington's resignings) for the 3 starters that aren't playing the 2 most important positions in a league with a 45mil salary cap wouldn't be very smart

Can anyone give him $100 for 5 years? Wouldn't the contract start at 14 and go up? I think Ray Allen would be a great fit as a max contract guy as long as the team also has a very good to great post presence. His teams in Milwaukee and Seattle have not had a good post player to really open things up for him.

But not for that much money. I do think he would be perfect for the Hawks in that we don't really have any true shooters from the perimeter. We have a bunch of transitional players that are very good on the break, but we will suffer in the half court sets from the perimeter. We have no shooters and Ray Allen is one of the best.

This team would be dangerous and extremely athletic with Ray in the mix!! Still not a upper echelon team, but one to watchout for.

I would hate to see the Hawks pay him 20 million a year, and it just wont happen. Ray Allen is a very good players, but he just isn't worth that type of money, and we all know a team out their will try their hardest to give him that type of money.

I think Allen is going to get a realtiy check next offseason, and he will be stuck signing a much lesser contract.

• Premium Member

What the hell happened to "Flip" Murry? Guy was KILLIN' while Jesus Shuttlesworth sat on the bench. The NBA's best kept secret, unstoppable, and all that. Then, the chosen comes back and *crickets*

Lookin' at his numbers though, he still made some noise in a reduced role...

I wonder how the market for him will play out next season...