• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kevin Willis likely will be brought back

Plainview1981

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...04/16hawks.html

Quote:

The Hawks now have 13 players on the roster and are about $5 million under the salary cap. General manager Billy Knight said earlier this week that he would like to have 14 players under contract before training camp begins Oct. 4. After filling their needs for a veteran point guard and a long distance shooter, the Hawks will look to complete the roster with the signing of a big man.

Knight has been in discussions with former Hawk Kevin Willis, who last played for the team in 1995. The 7-foot Willis turned 42 last week and was originally drafted by the Hawks 20 years ago. Willis, who has spent the past two seasons in San Antonio, played in Atlanta for 12 seasons before he was traded to the Miami Heat in a deal that landed Steve Smith.

We have 13 players on the roster, including Barry and Andersen, but Ivey and D Smith are as yet unsigned? Could this be an indication that they will definitely be signed or that their camp/preseason performance will determine if they get signed? Don't they have to be signed to some kind of agreement before they go into camp?

• Admin

No, we have 11. The 2 second rounders are not signed. This article says we will sign them. However, it will be after we get our PF/C player. I always liked Willis but I still hope we get Clark or make a play for Swift. Clark we problably could get for 2 - 2.5 while Swift will cost the whole thing. We might even have to include a s-n-t for CC or something. Would you still do it if it did?

Cap I think Willis might help more than Clark because he is bigger and stronger. The only center on our roster with some size is Drobjnak, Collier seems soft and doesn't bang in the paint. While I think Keon is a good shotblocker he is only 220lbs. We need more of a true center even thought Willis is old he is still bigger and stronger than alot of guys in their 20's and 30's. Keon is a smaller version of Theo Ratliff.

Try telling the Atlanta Braves that. Check out their

First Baseman. He platoons out there, is one of the

best hitters on the team and can still kill the ball,

even from the best fireballers.

He is a lot closer to fifty than this kid Willis you

are worried about. If he is in good health, in good shape

and willing to play limited minutes, he would be an

excellent pickup.

Things are looking better in Hawkland. With our new

Rookie coach and his staff of experienced assistants,

look for Atlanta to make some waves in the N.B.A.

this season. This aspect of the team is solid and

just as important as many of the other things that

make up this year's team.

cool.gif

Go Hawks !!!

• Admin

I like Willis but he would be a third stringer and play limited minutes compared to a starter with Clark.

I know Clark is not the greatest center either but I think he is a better option for comparable money.

I will not complain with Willis being signed either but he is just not my first choice.

I don't think Keon Clark would start even if we signed him. He might split starting time with Peja at center. Either way I think Peja is the main guy at Center wether we bring in Willis or Keon Clark. I think Peja Drobnjak is a little better than what we think. I was surprised by the numbers he put up in the Olympic games even though it isn't the NBA. He even had 4blocks during one game so he is showing an aspect of his game we didn't know he had.