• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN 'experts' pick Astros over Braves

CBAreject

13 out of 16 ESPN experts pick the Astros to beat the Braves in the NLDS.

I can't argue too much, because Clemens and Oswalt are a good combination and Houston is hot.

Thing is, these writers have been wrong about the Braves so many times that it's not funny any more. I hope they have to eat crow again.

The thing that we have going for us is that we generally fare well against Roy Oswalt and the Astros don't have a good #3 pitcher.

If we beat Clemens once, we win the series.

The fact that Clemens got a stomach virus and couldn't pitch the final game of the season was extremely fortunate for the Astros. They ended up winning that game, enabling them to save Clemens for games 1 and 4 in the NLDS. If he'd pitched yesterday, he wouldn't have been available until game 3, since you can't really use a pitcher on 3 days rest twice in a row.

Yea, the Astros are extremely fortunate. I was watching the Astros clinching game, I think it was, and they showed Clemens' numbers on three day's rest and they were horrible. He had done it like 5 or 6 times in his career and each time he had given up at least 5 ER in just a few innings of pitching. So maybe, we can hope he still has the virus for Game 1, pitches Game 2 and has to go on three day's rest for Game 4 (hopefully game 4 won't be necessary).

The winner of this series goes to the World Series. I

just don't have faith in the Cards and LA's pitching

at all. Also, it's not impossible for people to think

the Astro's could win this series because they are the

hottest team in the NL at this current time. But it's

hard to believe the predictions are THAT lopsided in

favor of the Astros.

Well, regardless.... They are the hottest team in the

NL. It will be really interesting to see how good they

really are though. They play in a real tough division.

The Braves also beat up on teams like the Expos/Phillies/

Mets/Pittsburg/Rockies. They lost to the Cards and only

drawed with LA. The Braves beat there fairshare of chump

teams when they were on their hot streak. That's the way

that it is.

YOu look in August....

Sweep Arizona 3 wins

Two of three from the Brewers

Sweep the Rockies

They did beat SF in great fashion and they won the

series againest the Astro's... But by only a total

of 2 runs.

Just pointing out that the Braves beat their fair

share of chump teams.

Not this year buddy. The Astros will win this series and exorcise the demons.......it may take 5, but I am going with Astros in 4. They are playing great baseball right now and you cant say that since the All-Star break they have had a weak schedule the whole time either. In fact had they fired Jimmy Williams before the season started they might have the best record in baseball right now.

• Admin

but this is reality and they barely made the wild card on a pretty strong run against a lot of weak teams. Tough schedule? Give me a break... The last two months of their schedule reads like "who's wants to be the worst" list. Milwaukee, pittsburg, Philly, NYM, Cincinatti, montreal. They played each of those teams 2-3 series during the last two months and still only barely won the wild card...

They're a one trick pony with Clemens. Oswalt will crumble under the pressure. Lets not forget either, Clemens is a career post-season LOSER.

I say again, Braves in FOUR...

I don't think this argument is substantiated. Hotlanta didn't say Stros would definitely win. He just thinks that the 'Stros have a good chance. On the other hand, he should hear chillz' side, which isn't that the Braves will definitely win, but that they're not given respect by the media.

My point from the beginning is that ESPN ALWAYS sells us (and other ATL teams for that matter) short.

A team that has won 13 titles in a row should at least be given a 50% chance to win a postseason series against a team that has never won a postseason series.

If you want to talk about HOT teams, you have to consider the fact that Atlanta's top 3 pitchers had an OUTSTANDING record in the second half, and I think they were 24-5 over the last 3 months.

This series is going to be close and I think it could go either way. I give the Braves the nod because I think the vets are hungry this year and the youngsters bring energy. Somebody unexpected (Charles Thomas, Adam Laroche?) is going to come up big and take this series for us.

Quote:

On the other hand, he should hear chillz' side, which isn't that the Braves will definitely win, but that they're not given respect by the media.

I have heard his side.... He is acting like the Stros are

just some chump team and I'm pointing out they probably

play in the toughest division in the league. The Cubs

might not have made the playoffs.... but I'd take them

over both the Giants and Dodgers.

I agreed the Braves are underrated and that's why I said

I'm surprised it's so lopsided in who they think is going

to win. I figured the predictions to be closer to even

than 13 out of 16 in favor of the Stros.

I feel these might be the two best teams in the NL and

that is why I said I think the winner of those goes to

the WS.