• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

bye bye Rex Sox

Plainview1981

I've been much too wraped up in the Sox to check in with y'all.

Let's review.

Quote:

Hey Inside Man......where are the mighty Red Sox? [

I was just browsing back through the old posts and came across your Red Sox in a walk post.........HAHAHA. The Yankees even spotted the Red Sox a 5.5 game lead and have since turned it around and lead by 7 games now....it would take a freakin miracle for the Sox to come back now.

and the reply...

Quote:

Piece of cake. The Yankmees won't even make the playoffs. They have no pitching. Their hitting is collapsing. Old players fading away. Bullpen arms falling off. yada yada yada.

And the Sox?

The Nomar trade was brilliant. They have good pitching. They're just getting warmed up. Hey, it's not even September!!

Well, there is nothing sweeter than the events of the past week. It's fascinating because if the favored Sox had beaten the yanks in a normal give and take series it would be no big deal, but to lead them on and bring them to the edge and then administer the greatest comeback of all time in any sport ever on the face of the planet! Well, it's just too much!!!

I have many friends who are NY fans and there are plenty of classy folks in that organization, but there's also people like ARod, who showed himself to be one of the most repugnant losers on the planet.

The best part is that the yanks have set a mark for collapse that can never be eclipsed. It can be equaled, but never exceeded. Words can't express how beautiful that is. You can't fully appreciate this Sox victory unless you've been in the stadium in the Bronx and had beers thrown at your red cap from the upper deck. Been there, done that.

A-Rod showed what kind of player he is when he tried that Bush league play to knock the ball away from Boston's pitcher....

I used to like A-Rod when he was in Seattle. I think the fat contract and big city lights of NYC has changed him a lot. He looks like an ***hole now.

I don't like A-Rod anymore. Sure he has tremendous talent, but he swings at more pitches and misses in a year than a guy like Pujols does in 5 years.

LOL it kills me to hear people talk crap about that play where he tried to smack the ball away. What the heck do you people expect him to do, just say oh the hell with it I am out let him tag me? No, he did what any good player would do and he tried to get away with something and would have if the other UMPs hadnt gotten together. Had they not reversed that call it would have been a 1 run game and who knows what would have happened.

This is my first year ever watching A-Rod play almost every day and I have to say that I was pretty disappointed in what he did this year after all the hype, but I think he just wasnt able to adjust to playing in NY offensively his first year. Defensively you have to give the guy props for playing 3rd base the first time in his career and possibly winning a Gold Glove for his play there.

• Admin

C'mon dol, you're trying to argue the rights and wrongs of cheating. But lets face it, A-rod tried to CHEAT. You can say that "he did what any other player would do" But that's BULL [censored]. That type play happens 1000 times during the course of the season and in probably less than 1% of those, the player tries to swipe the ball away like A-rod did. Mainly because they know it's wrong and they know that 9 times out of 10 they're going to get called out for it. It was a desperation move by a desperate player. He doesn't deserve to be beaten up over it like he has been by some media people. But don't try to make excuses for a guy doing something dirty to win, ie. cheating.

Baseball will thankfully never have instant replay. But I'm glad that they have allowed the umps to do the next best thing.. get together and discuss questionable calls. In this series alone we saw them do it 3 times on 3 VERY BIG plays and every time their decision matched what the replay showed. They made the right call every time.

oh yah, so much for Sheffield being "a different player once he became a yankee". It appears he was just waiting for the biggest possible moment to choke like he did for the Braves.

that was definitely a bad move by AROD...

however, im not willing to call him a sore-loser-no good-cheater. i think its just an act out of frustration.

the UMPs got the call right, so it didnt have any effect on the outcome of the game. so lets just move forward.

BTW- im not a yankees fan nor a redsox fan. so i think im pretty neutral on this one.

Has everyone forgotten Fick's 'dirty' play against the Cubs last year. He almost injured Eric Karros trying to swipe the ball away at first. I wonder if Dolfan gave Fick the benefit of the doubt. Then again, I suppose he didn't have the 'magic of the Yankee pinstripes' to make everything swell with him.

Well I cant comment on that play since I never saw it and don't remember hearing about it.

However I do find it quite hilarious that you guys are out trying to make A-Rod sound like a monster when all he did was slap the glove of a player to try and knock the ball loose. You act like he was trying to chop block the knees out from Michael Vick or something. I hardly call what he did dirty. Obviously it was against the rules and he didnt get away with it, so I dont see what the big deal is. There was never any intent to hurt anyone, he was just trying to make a play and although it was against the rules he almost got away with it and turned the game around.

Yes you are right, he did try to cheat. You cant compare that play to the other how ever many times it happens because that was a HUGE game on a national stage, late in the game with the tide turning against your team. You cannot honestly say that if you were in his position that you wouldnt try and knock the ball loose. I mean honestly, is what he did even comparable to when a guy tries to run over a catcher to knock the ball loose or when someone slides spikes first into 2nd base to try and take out the 2nd baseman? You guys really are reaching trying to make A-Rod look like some diabolical evil player hellbent on breaking the rules. He just simply did something stupid that almost worked out for the Yankees, but it didn't and that's that.

Well you are right about Sheff. He was huge all year and then the last 3 games his bat just died, along with all the other Yankee sluggers. However, in the 1st 4 games when the series should have been over he was huge, but the Yankees pathetic excuse for pitching blew it big time and none of the hitters were able to swing the bat again for whatever reason.........but I will give you this, Sheff didnt show up the last 3 games and it hurt the team big time.

Oh and I do agree about the instant replay thing. The UMPs made good calls and I am glad that they got them right, even though those game 6 calls cost the Yankees a win had they not conferred. I am glad that they got the calls right though since I wouldnt want my team to win on a bad call.

• Admin

We both said that everyone is making too big a deal out of it. He's not a bad person just because he was desperate and tried to cheat at such a big moment in the biggest game of his career. It is what it is, nothing more, nothing less. Had he gotten away with it I think it would be an entirely different story though.

It IS generally considered a dirty play in baseball. The same was said of Robert Fick when he did it 2-3 years ago for the Braves. It's dirty because the person covering the bag can easily get hurt. There was so much stink about the Fick incident that people were calling for him to be booted from the team. There was quite a bit more stink about that than their was about the A-rod thing though.

I just thought it was a classless, unprofessional act. I also thought that way about Fick when he did it, and I would think the same way about any player who did that. It isn't protocol like sliding hard into 2nd provided you're in the basepath, or sliding home....the guy is clearly in position to tag you out and you interfere with him by running directly into him, thats Bush league.

I stand my ground about Arods "change" though. He is just not the same guy. He used to seem more of a team player now he is just an individual.

• 1 month later...