• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The BlackHawk Returns

BlackHawkDown

Hello Hawksquawk,

Although I haven't posted for a few months I have come through from time to time to read. I have to say this site is full of hyper amatuers with no patience.mad.gif

I have for two years said the Hawks needed to build a championship team slowly, through young talent and lottery picks. My approach was implemented when they fired Pete Babcock and hired Billy Knight.

When I preached patience the majority of posters screamed about how we had to make the playoffs or the franchise would be dissolved.confused.gif Posters rambled about trends and claimed everyone from Donyell Marshall to Brent Barry were the answer to our problems.confused.gifWTF?

However this summer I saw a change. Posters started accepting that if we stay out of the playoffs for a couple of years and draft high. Poster started understanding that the top franchises play chess not checkers.

Now after one loss. Poster again act like the sky has fallen. I continue to see a number of poster ramble on about second rate centers. I forget one hack who was paticularly popular this summer. Second rate plyers come a dime dozen.

Look at the positives Josh Smith and Josh Childress have looked better than expected. And Al Harrington is a year or 2 from stardom. In the mean time we will get 2 more loittery picks. Which means we can add a star PG and a center to a nucleus of swingmen.

Look at the positives Josh Smith and Josh Childress have looked better than expected. And Al Harrington is a year or 2 from stardom."

Josh Smith has looked pretty good so far... But Childress

is crap so far.... And Al Harrington isn't HALF as good

as he thinks he is. He needs to rebound better and needs

to develop some form of a jumpshot and learn how to at

least pass alittle bit.

welcome back BHD.

i cant believe this, but i agree... lol

for now- lets not even touch the subject, is A WALKER good/bad for the team issue. lets totally ignore that thought (for this post, at least).

that being said, i think hes just here to make us COMPETITIVE for this year. we'll still lose many games but atleast we'll lose by 10-20 points instead of 30-40 points.

think about it, if A WALKER isint here- whos gonna take the shots?

NO ONE on our team takes the initiative to create/make something happen OFFENSIVELY. we just pass the ball left and right, and just pass it even more. we'd struggle to put up 50 shot attempts if it wasnt for WALKER here.

if WALKER wasnt here, we would be the BOBCATS. Bobcats are more younger/athletic and are better shooters, but we have more experience. their best player is Okafor, and our best would be HARRINGTON.

thats what life would be like if Walker wasnt on our team.

but like i + BHD said, we only see him here temporarily. just so we can stay competitive and look like a NBA team out there.

• Premium Member

Welcome back...

I officially call you the MASE of Hawksquawk....

You can't be more right. Time, building a reputation, free agent acquisations, and draftpicks...

Next Draft could be Chris Paul...or Jarrett Jack.

It's a nice plan, but in those 2 years when Hawks get couple of lottery players, those lotto picks will need 2-3 years to develop (cos kids r getting drafted younger and younger), and will result in more bad years. Few FA's will be overpaid also, out of desperation, from the rejection of the major ones. Then the managment will get impatient and will pronounce the project dead and will rebuild again sending the franchise to the perrils of Clipperdom.

Bulls are the prime example.

U need quality FA's and ready to contribute draft picks. Shaky proposition.

• Premium Member

Rome wasnt built in a day and neither will any championship contender be...

Look at it.

The Lakers got Shaq/Kobe same year. It wasn't until 4 yrs later that they won a championship.

The Bulls had MJ/Pippen how long before they won their first championship.

Bron James has been in Cleveland one year and I doubt he will get to taste a championship for several years.

Drob had to wait 10 yrs for Duncan to come along before he got a championship.

The point is that there is usually a wait associated with winning. We are merely gathering pieces to win a championship. In the interim, we will be exciting to watch... More exciting than the losing, predictable team we had before. And Yes, we will take some losses. But the key is.... do we grow??