Do You remember...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Do You remember when the Jobs at McDonalds and Walmart were for Kids finishing HS... It was a suppliment on the local family economy because now, Jerry and Judy could get a Job at McDonalds and they won't have to ask mom and Dad for money.

Well, the other day, i was in McDonald's and I saw a whole lot of Moms and Dads working behind the counter and in the back.

these days DIESEL, most fastfood joints are kids 16+. right when i turned 16, i got my first job at a fastfood place making $7.25 a hour (not bad aye for a rising JR in high school w/ no working experience?).

as far as MOMS/DADS working at walmart- aye, u gotta do wat u gotta do. i remember seein this one lady workin at a McDs. i talked to her a little and she was talkin about how shes tired cuz shes working at 3 jobs to support 2 kids and sleepin 4 hours a night.

i give her props for bein a hardworker.

• Admin

WHich works perfectly for your motives. Unfortunately, you are only seeing what is on the surface. Unless you take the time to ask those people why they are working at Mcdonalds, you are doing nothing but making a poorly informed guess as to why they work there.

Because more often than not, they have very simple reasons for working there. Simple reasons that have NOTHING to do with your poor, politically motivated evaluation of the economy. Which, btw, is still doing quite well by all unbiased economists views.

1. They only need supplemental income. They might have a spouse that has another job and the money from a part-time job at mcdonalds gives them this along with a flexible schedule to allow for time with family or whatever they like.

2. They are working towards management. Managers at mcdonalds get paid VERY well. Quite a few people get their management starts at fast food and retail chains. This is not limited to the young.

3. They are low / no skilled workers. the majority that don't fall into the first two catagories, will likely fall into this one. You will find very few skilled workers working at Mcdonalds simply because "they have to".

You shouldn't be so quick to heap pity on someone because they work a job that you find demeaning. If they are happy in what they do, who are you to feel sorry for them?

• Premium Member

Dude... In what world are you living in???

Too much Hannity and Limbaugh I suppose.

When Delta, NW, and US Air go out of business in January... Where do you suppose those thousands of workers will end up? Here's the hint...

Not Jet Blue or SW.

More than likely, this is what will happen:

Many will go to community college to learn a new trade that will only be outsourced in the next two years.

Some will try to stay in the Airline game.

Others will end up in McDonald's or Walmart.

Again.. You might be too young to remember Chillz and that's no slight on you but there was a time when McDonalds/Walmart type Jobs went primarily to kids 16-23. Nobody is leaving their Fortune 500 Job to become a fry guy...

• Admin

I live in the same world you live in. Only I don't see it as you do. Full of dark clouds and sad times....

None of those companies will go out of business. You know this... The government will bail them out, as always. Or a successful airline will buy them out. Out of business...give me a break...

outsourced.... see, there you go. Always all about the agenda. It's not enough to mention the positives that might come out of it, some of them go to community college and learn other skills. You have to throw on the pessimistic "only to be outsourced". again...give me a break...

I think maybe you are out of touch or don't remember. As far back as I can remember, I recall older and younger people working fast food. I worked pizza places myself. We always had a couple of non-management older people working there, amongst the kids. They were all low/noskilled workers with various reasons for working there. I go into fast food places today and the mix doesn't seem any different than back them.

basically, I think the link that you are trying to make, that a bad economy is forcing all these adults into "kids jobs" that they wouldn't otherwise be doing, is absurd.