• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No one wants to play for the Hawks

bballfan

I am reading these posts about trading Walker for a big man. Trading Walker for this and that. Don't you realize that no free agent wants to play for the Hawks.

Someone mentioned Ray Allen in another thread. Are you serious? He isn't going to sign with Atlanta if he doesn't go back to the Sonics and Peja would never come here even if we tried to trade for him.

No Hawk fan should be ragging on Walker. He has been the only player on the entire team to show up. He leads the team in assists and would be averaging 10 a game if someone else on the team could actually make a basket. Take away Walkers stats and Al Harrington would be shooting 8 for 36 a night instead of 4 for 16 and we wouldn't even be in these games for a quarter. Walker leads the team in turnovers because he is double and triple teamed every game and no one even attempts to get open for him to pass the ball too. You would think someone would be open when 2 or 3 guys are on Walker but no one goes over and tries to help at all.

I understand some of you want to win. We have been waiting for a very long time to get back into the playoffs but any Hawks fan that feels the need to blame Walker for this teams problems doesn't know basketball at all.

Al Harrington could very well turn into a good player but he hasn't shown that once this year except the very first pre season game and that didn't count.

When Walker is shooting 44 % and getting 23 points a night and the next guy we have in the point column is someone with 10 we are not going to win any games. That isn't Walkers fault no one else can show up.

heres a short list i can think of

1)Above-Average starters who want $$$ and has $$$ as his main motivation/factor when it comes to playing for a team.

its said, but its true. in order for us to get some decent guys here (like KMART for example), we would have to OVERPAY like crazy. and of course, it wouldnt be worth it. we'll end up giving shaq money to someone like DAMPIERE.

2)backup players who want to make a name for themselves.

backup players usually dont have much of a choice when it comes to free agency. they'll attract a few suitors, but after all is said and done- they'll go after the team that gives them the best chance to start and get some playing time. and that my friends, is the ATLANTA HAWKS

3)AND1 ballers

In AND1, Rafer Alston is a GOD. In the NBA, hes an average STARTER at best. so which one does he choose? the NBA! thats right, i bet u that 9/10 AND1 players rather play in the NBA than for the AND1 team. AND1 team is something they do to make money on the side + get some exposure in hopes to land on a team.

4)hungry players

enuf said!

--------------------------------------------------

as for RAY ALLEN. im willing to bet u. if we give him KOBE BRYANT money, he'll come to the hawks. the sonics arent willing to give him KOBE BRYANT money and thats what he wants.

• Premium Member

I think the course is simple...

We take advantage of the draft by drafting smart. We take advantage of players in bad situations by always having cap room and players that other teams would trade for.

I think Walker is more of a keeper than most of you believe. Reason why is because we deserve each other. He needs us for the exposure. We need him because he can do it all. On the course that he is setting, Walker will be allstar easily... I mean, he and Oneal are the only PFs in the east worth talking about. Then... You have the fact that he would want a long contract and many teams aren't willing to give him such a thing... and what they can give him is not better than what we can offer with the 12.5% raise. If he leaves A-Town it's because he doesn't want to be here.

What about J-Smooth. Well, he can be both BU to PF/Sf. What about Harrington? I think that Harrington is more tradable than Walker. Harrington's defense is not great. His shot selection is when I get the ball, I shoot. If we could possibly get another player for Harrington that could be more of a shooter, I think it's a done deal...

It's too bad that Indy won't reverse the trade.

However, there are players that might fit....

D. Wesley...

Cutino Mobley...

I think it was rumored that Harrington was going for Mobley when Orlando got him.

Mo Pete...

I would want Toronto's first rounder as well but he would fit but his inconsistency is another thing.

Right now, I'm waiting to see how N.O. breaks down.

I think they will fire sale the whole troop..

I heard about Vince for BDiddy/Magloire. I didn't put a lot of stock into it, but it's interesting...

N.O. would need to fire off some Cash to make the deal go because of Magloire's BYC Status...

Here's what I see:

Atlanta trades: SF Al Harrington (15.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.3 apg in 37.8 minutes)

Atlanta receives: SG David Wesley (13.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.3 apg in 31.7 minutes)

SF Rodney Rogers (4.8 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.8 apg in 19.3 minutes)

SG J.R. Smith (4.5 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 10.3 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +7.8 ppg, -1.2 rpg, and +4.1 apg.

New Orleans trades: PG Baron Davis (24.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 8.0 apg in 37.0 minutes)

C Jamaal Magloire (13.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.7 apg in 31.8 minutes)

SG David Wesley (13.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 4.3 apg in 31.7 minutes)

SF Rodney Rogers (4.8 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.8 apg in 19.3 minutes)

SG J.R. Smith (4.5 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.3 apg in 10.3 minutes)

New Orleans receives: SF Al Harrington (15.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.3 apg in 37.8 minutes)

SF Vince Carter (14.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.4 minutes)

Alvin Williams (No games yet played in 2004/05)

Change in team outlook: -31.6 ppg, -7.9 rpg, and -9.8 apg.

Toronto trades: SF Vince Carter (14.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.4 minutes)

Alvin Williams (No games yet played in 2004/05)

Toronto receives: PG Baron Davis (24.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 8.0 apg in 37.0 minutes)

C Jamaal Magloire (13.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.7 apg in 31.8 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +23.8 ppg, +9.1 rpg, and +5.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Would N.O. do that.... Maybe if they can get rid of Mashburn somehow...

However, I like it because we have:

Wesley/J.R. Smith/J-Smooth/Walker/Peja...

Not a team that will win a lot of games, but wow.. the excitement.

AW/Vince/Harrington/PJBrown/Papa Sow....

Probably not...

It's so true, isn't it. No one would EVER want to come

to Atlanta and play for the Hawks.

When all the other teams have a full roster of players

and can't sign any more, all the rest of the players

out there had rather go home and get a real job at

Burger King, flipping burgers and earning their payday.

I hear that pays big bucks.

Atlanta, with millions to spend, can't get them to give

up their great job and high pay to come and play for

the lowly Hawks. How sad for us. Makes me want to cry.

Bull Feathers !!

Atlanta Hawk money spends just as good as any one else's money. The city, compared to all the other N.B.A.

cities, ranks right up there with the best of them.

Building a winner takes time. If a player believes that

he is the missing piece, that he can turn the Hawks into

a winner and make a name for the team and for himself,

you don't think he would welcome the opportunity?

Hawks may not be great right now, but we aren't so bad

that players refuse the paycheck. Our G.M. is wise

enough to not give away everything available just to

lure someone here who couldn't turn the whole thing

around all by himself.

Hawks are a long way from being there, but they are

headed in the right direction. Patience. It's a

long journey from the bottom to the top.