We can not win if...

falc82

We foul every time someone drives. Yeah it doesn't give them a lay up, but it is easier for any non-hawk to make to make 2 free throws than it is to make a contested layup. We allow them to get in the lane and then foul every time, it is hardly even basketball. I don't like the idea of foul if they get close..will lose every game if we give away points like that.

yup and that was why i was so angry watching the HAWKS/MAGIC game.

the word DEFENSE means absolutely NOTHING to this team. like i said, our defensive philosophy is "allow the other team to run circles around us, drive to the lane, get fouled, and attempt 2 free throw"

dont get me wrong, i dont expect us to be one of the best teams or anything. and im not even mad about our OFFENSE. we lack talent, and i understand that we cant go out there and play like we're the mavericks. but defense, c'mon- i thought WOODSON's main thing was DEFENSE?

where did he learn his defensive philosophy? from the NO SAINTS?

defense, c'mon now. this is something that shouldnt even have to be TAUGHT at this level. GUARD UR DAMN MAN! simple as that!

It amazes me how we refuse to play zone defense when we obviously can't guard one on one. We already rely on help defense way too much but I recall very few times we've actually played a zone defense this year. Now, it's probably not gonna solve our defensive problems but I think it's worth a try. Make teams beat you shooting the ball first.

And please don't get me started on free throw shooting. This is beyond bad. These guys are pros? Shooting below 75% is really unacceptable, but under 65% as a TEAM? Somethin is just not right, there. I know 9-10 year olds who can shoot free throws better than this.

I feel our defense would be helped greatly by someone who could block a shot. Our best shot blocker is probably Josh Smith. (who doesn't get a lot of pt) Collier is a joke (defensively) in the middle. McCoy will at least attempt to challenge a shot, but more often than not, he sends the opposing player to the foul line. Collier wouldn't start for any other team in the league and it's only a matter of time before Peja takes his spot on the starting line.

most of our teams poor FT shooting is due to WALKER.

its a weakness in his game and he goes to the FT line more than ANYONE on our team. thats prob why its so bad. but as a team, i think we're a decent FT shooting team if more guys were aggressive and attacked the basket more often.

as for COLLIER, defensively hes a waste of size. how can u be that big and not play defense worth crap? Peja definitely needs to be our starter. in this league, PEJA makes a good backup C... i think COLLIER is 3rd string center material in this league.

as for our defense as a unit, i think NBDL or even players u find at ur local gym can break down this defense.

Quote:

Quote:

Why is it Walker's fault no one else can hit a free throw when they get to the line?

That is stupid.

Did you get my response to your PM, tip? I hope I made it clear that I'm still a Walker fan to you.

OH and you're right about the FT thing....Walker isn't exactly altering anyone else's FT shot....

While its true that Walker has not directly affected the other players poor performance from the FT line, its obvious that his poor shooting from there has rubbed off on the team and it has snowballed. I would almost guarantee you that if Walker could pull himself out of this FT shooting funk that the rest of the team would pick it up as well. He is the leader of the team and if you dont think his poor shooting affects the rest of them then well, thats stupid.

I still say that is stupid. These aren't junior high students. Al, Kenny, Peja etc.. have all been in the league long enough and the rookies are not stupid

You are looking for an excuse to blame Walker and since you can't find one your making one up.

Quote:

While its true that Walker has not directly affected the other players poor performance from the FT line, its obvious that his poor shooting from there has rubbed off on the team and it has snowballed. I would almost guarantee you that if Walker could pull himself out of this FT shooting funk that the rest of the team would pick it up as well. He is the leader of the team and if you dont think his poor shooting affects the rest of them then well, thats stupid.

Quote:

Quote:

Why is it Walker's fault no one else can hit a free throw when they get to the line?

That is stupid.

wat i meant was that... as a team, our STATISTICS (free throw shooting percentage) is low due to walkers frequent trips to the FT line (lowering our teams statistics).

if he isint shooting the FT, of course its not HIS FAULT. i think u misinterpret wat i said... i was merely talkin about it in a STATISTICS point of view.

from a statistics point of view...take out walker's fts and we are a .685 ft% for the team! it's not just walker...

oh, and al has been to the line more than walker

btw, smoove and chill EACH have as many blocks as ALL THREE CENTERS (drob/coll/willis) COMBINED!

and that's with smoove's whole 120 TOTAL MINUTES, or 12 mpg in 10 games...

I can only comment on your comment, but comment I will. How can you say Walker's poor FT shooting affects the team when you have Shaq's history to prove that comment as being false. Ask yourself when did the Lakers start poor FT shooting because of Shaq? thankyou.

Do you realize that you just used the best team since Michaels Bulls as your example as to how one player cannot affect a teams free throw shooting? You choose the most veteran, battle tested, championship team out there.

The Hawks, on the other hand, are a VERY young team overall and are brand new together with a lot of expectations placed on them by themselves to bring us a winner. Walker and Harrington have both shot very poorly from the free throw line and that bad kharma or vodoo, or mojo, or whatever you want to call it has obviously affected the team because they are tentative shooting the ball when they go to the line, anyone with semi-decent vision and half a brain should be able to see that. If you dont believe that 1 or 2 players can affect an entire teams psychology then you really should march yourself down to the junior college in your town and ask to take some basic psychology classes.

"btw, smoove and chill EACH have as many blocks as ALL THREE CENTERS (drob/coll/willis) COMBINED!"

- i hope the OTHER VETERAN'S LACKADASICAL DEFENSE doesnt rub off on our rookies.

last thing i want is for them to have that "Why try ur hardest? we're gonna lose either way" type of mentality.

Once again....5 early fouls on the hawks and 0 for new york...am i blaming officiating? NO. I am blaming this dumb idea that we should foul anyone should they get under the goal. I was taught when I was 5 years old and in rec ball to put a hand in the guys face and not to faul..let's just give away free points and free trips to the line every time down the floor. I mean the hawks arent out of it by any means, but if they allow 15-20 extra free throws to the other team then don't count on us winning...