• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves fans- trading Jose Capellan

cyman3

I was really excited about Capellan, but when Scheurholz trades a pitching prospect, he generally knows something that we don't. On the other hand, Marquis and Perez are two of the best pitchers in the NL now, and I hated seeing each of them go. I mean, we wouldn't have any pitching problems if we had those two in our rotation. I didn't want to trade Nelson or Wainright, but it doesn't appear that they are going to do too much. Capellan had the potential to be an ACE. Thing is, I don't think they project him as a starter in the bigs.

This trade came down to trading the closer of the future for a pretty decent closer of the present. I wish that if we had traded for a closer, we'd have gotten one who is a little more dominant. Kolb is not a strikeout pitcher, and he's not going to mow guys down like Smoltz could.

Now, about Smoltz... I'm really happy to see him starting again. I'm worried that he'll blow out his elbow, of course, but I think we had to do this. A rotation of Hampton, Smoltz, Thompson, Ramirez, Byrd or Dan Meyer will be as good as last year, and Smoltz will give us an ace to go to.

This year is going to be even tougher than last because we'll be without the All-Star bat of J.D. Drew. How do we replace his production? Magglio? Charles Thomas??? I don't think so. It appears that we are cutting even more payroll and not replacing the salaries.

Ortiz = 5 million

Wright = 500K

Byrd = 7 million

Drew = 5 million

replacing them with....Kolb? Next year's payroll will be $75 mil.

Apparently the Braves and Yankees are still talking about a Kevin Brown trade, but possibly for prospects instead of a big leaguer. The Braves are wanting the Yankees to pay almost all of Brown's salary, and if the Yankees do that then the Braves have to give up better prospects. So, they are still talking from what I have heard.....and I feel they will eventually strike a deal.

Also, there are conflicting reports about whether Jaret Wright passed his 2nd physical after failing the 1st and the Yankees might be requiring a 3rd opinion, so the Braves could end getting Wright back.

Perez has been hit and miss since he left. One day he'll look great, the next he won't make it out of the 2nd or 3rd inning. Marquis had a lot of wins last year, but he was helped by a great offense. I wasn't that impressed with Capellan last year. He has a great fastball, but he can't control it, and he has no off spead pitch. Apparently, he's had trouble developing one, and he's getting lit up in the Dominican league. I'm glad Smoltz is starting again. If he had started Game 1 or 5 against the Astros, the Braves would've won one of those games. I hope they get Brown, and I'm sure they'll get a RF. Maybe Jacque Jones from the Twins, or maybe someone else. But they'll get somebody.

Now the report is that the Braves have offered Kevin Millwood a 1 year deal in the $3-4 million range.

Hah...the master plan is almost complete. Braves trade Millwood to get a big contributor in Estrada, Millwood sabotages Philly, comes back to Atlanta to become the ace he was supposed to be under Leo's guidance.

I dunno...if we get Millwood, our rotation doesn't look to be in too bad of shape. Smoltz/Ramirez/Millwood/Hampton/Thomson.

Capellan has a high velocity fastball, but it is a straight fastball. His offspeed pitch is one he is working on, but it isn't major league ready yet. His curve ball is a nasty pitch and is his out pitch. Capellan used his velocity and his curve ball to post a lot of strike outs in the minors last year, but his straight fastball hurt him in his short stint with Atlanta at the end of the season.

He was highly regarded within the organization, but the Braves felt he was a future reliever/closer rather than an ace starter. They were higher on Kyle Davies and Daniel Meyer as starters. Davies is considered to be the top pitching prospect in their system by the Braves brass, and a guy who is rising up that list fast is lefty Jake Stevens. Stevens will be in Myrtle Beach next season.

Davies has great stuff. His fastball topped out at 96 mph last year with movement. His change up is major league ready, and he throws a slider as well as a curve ball. His control really picked up last year, as he garnered a lot of strike outs and walked very few in the amount of innings he pitched. It was enough to get the 20 year old righty on the 40 man roster, and Bobby says that he has a chance of winning the fifth starting slot this season.

Meyer is a control lefty who tops out at around 93 mph. He relies on control and movement, and he is a typical Leo style of pitcher. He knows how to pitch yet doesn't have overpowering stuff. Most people see him as a potential #2 or #3 starter at the major league level.

Stevens is a lefty with a power arm and great control for a young age. Many were surprised by his season last year, but most within the organization weren't. Stevens had a string of 30 something innings where he didn't give up a single earned run last season. He was dominant at the low A level, and the Braves have high hopes for him.

Another guy they like is Chuck James, but he is a little overaged for the level he is at. He does make some within the organization think of Tom Glavine though with his mound demeanor and his control.