• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OK... your name is Billy Knight.

sick_five

You are the GM of the Atlanta Hawks. You have two first rounders (we'll say #1 and #17). You have a ton of cap room. After trading away Antoine Walker, your young team showed a lot of heart and promise against Portland, but it is obvious that the team needs a big man in the middle and some outside shooting. All the elite high profile FAs don't want Atlanta; they want to contend for a championship immediately, and don't feel that can happen in Atlanta.

What do you do?

Assuming this could all happen . . .

Draft Bogut and Jack

Trade Harrington for Jason Williams

Sign Kwame Brown for three years starting at $4 mil

Sign Dalembert for five years starting at $8 mil

Resign Delk for one or two years starting at $2 mil

Resign Lue for one or two years starting at $1.5 mil

Keep Donta Smith and Royal Ivey for the Injured list/spares

Start Bogut at pf, Dalembert at C, Smoove at sf, Chillz at sg, and jason williams at the point. Give each 32 min/pr/game.

Kwame (pf), Drobs ©, Diaw (sf), Delk (sg), and Jack (point) each get 16 min/pr/game.

Collier and Lue are back-up back-ups.

We'd have about $1- $2 mil in cap space left over.

Just my thoughts . . .

• Premium Member

Quote:

You are the GM of the Atlanta Hawks. You have two first rounders (we'll say #1 and #17). You have a ton of cap room. After trading away Antoine Walker, your young team showed a lot of heart and promise against Portland, but it is obvious that the team needs a big man in the middle and some outside shooting. All the elite high profile FAs don't want Atlanta; they want to contend for a championship immediately, and don't feel that can happen in Atlanta.

What do you do?

Focus on getting the best big men available anywhere without a trade. I would draft big with both draft picks and worry about little guys as they become available. Wouldn't sign kwame Brown! That kid is no good.

#1- Andrew Bogut

#17- Jarrett Jack/Guillermo Diaz (Both of these guys won't be available at #17 if they both come out so who ever is left over)

Save Our Money! I'm sorry but just b/c we have it, doesn't mean we should spend it. I will say that Chandler at PF sounds interesting, he could play C while Bogut develops. Kwame sounds intriguing but it seems that he carries baggage which is something we don't need. I'm banking on Bogut being an above average scorer, so PF being a strong scorer isn't a necessity. The question is, what is fair value for Chandler? I don't want to get into a bidding war, that's why I didn't even mention Swift. He's going to New Orleans. I think Chicago wants Curry. And he will demand a hefty amount.

-Retain Kevin Willis as developmental coach (Bogut/Chandler)

-5 yr./37.5M for Tyson Chandler

-1 yr./2Mfor Tyron Lue

-1 yr./1M for Obinna Ekezie

Jarrett Jack/Tyron Lue/Royal Ivey

Josh Childress/(Diaw)

Josh Smith/Boris Diaw/Donta Smith

Al Harrington/Obinna Ekezie

Tyson Chandler/Andrew Bogut/Peja Drobnjak

I think we all need to realize that in 2-3 years, we are going to have to resign 4 guys that might command a lot of money. (Jack/Bogut/Chill/Smoove) We need to stay in good financial shape til then. That is our core so why spend a bunch now on guys just to make us deeper now?

Jack/Chill/Smoove/Al/Tyson/Bogut is a nice, nice core.

I'd be willing to give Kwame a chance, but not at the price of $4 million starting out. Kwame won't get that much on the open market. He's going to have to sign a minimum contract and prove himself. I personaly feel a change of scenery will do him good, and I think he would probably want to come to Atlanta.

• Premium Member

I make some trades....

I trade #17 and Harrington to NY for Kurt Thomas and their #1.

I move Kurt Thomas/2nd to Dallas for Devin Harris/Armstrong.

With #1 overall I take Bogut.

With #8 overall I take Gerald Green.

In the second round I take either Channing Frye or Taj Gray...

In FAcy, I take Swift.

My Lineup going into the season is:

Bogut/Swift/J-Chill/Green/Harris.

I find ways

rationales:

I like Chillz. I think he's the leader of the Hawks.

I think we need big men and Bogut and Swift are certainly that.

I think Swift gives us a defensive presence in the frontcourt.

I think we have the versatility to play several lineups...

One with Swift/Smoove/Chill/Green Harris.

One with Bogut/Swift/Smoove/Chillz/Harris.

One with Bogut Swift/Chillz/Green Harris.

One with Bogut/Smoove/Chillz/Green Harris.

One with Bogut/Swift/Smoove/Green/Harris.

But notice the things that the team are:

1. versatile. We can throw several lineups on the floor and each forward can play 2 positions.

2. Defensive. Smoove, Chillz, Swift and Harris are good defensive players.

3. Atheletic. This is a run and gun team. Everybody can pass. We have several players with good court vision.

if we get the #1 pick: 1st thing I would do is Draft Bogut and best available of Jack/Gilchrist/Diaz/Williams at 17 (if we got it).

2nd round pick would be best available regardless of position.

if we don't get #1 pick: draft best available regardless of position, and go big with the 17th pick if we get it.

2nd thing I would do is make an offer to Stromile Swift and an offer to Tyson Chandler in FAcy.

• Premium Member

I think Paul is good enough, however, if we can get Jack or trade for an equal PG like Harris, then why not take a C. Taking Bogut is depending on how he looks in the tourney and personal workouts.

I think once Utah plays some real competition we will get a better guage.

I think based on his size and potential, Kwame will easily get $4 mil a year. A 6-11 athletic (and young) PF/C.

The good news is that Kwame will want to come down to Georgia (the home of his roots) for less than he'll be offered on the open market - and as a franchise we should take advantage of that!

flava

That's just absurd. You should start off by making more reasonable claims. It's just as absurd to say Bogut would be the best center to ever play the game.

Generally, when guys are busts as big men, it's because they're not very athletic, or they have a poor work ethic, or they're injury prone. None of those things are true of Bogut. He may not be a dominant center, but it's very unlikely he'll be a downright bust.

OK, here we go...

The draft

#1 I probably take Bogut

#17 In this order, if they're gone then I go to the next, I believe these players will be selected around that area.

-Raymond Felton (would be shocked if he fell that far)

-Gerald Green (him too, don't think he'll drop this far)

-Deron Williams

-Jarrett Jack

-Guillermo Diaz

-Daniel Gibson

-Charlie Villanueva

-Ronny Turiaf

-John Gilchrist

-Rudy Fernandez

Free Agency

1. I go hard after Sromile Swift. The problem is that New Orleans has publically stated they plan on going after him hard also. If it gets above 8 mil a year, they can have him. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him close to a max deal.

2. I put the heat on Philly. I offer Sam Dalembert a deal starting in the 6-8 mil/year range. If they match, then I offer Kyle Korver a contract in the 2-3 mil/year range. If they match & keep him on Bird Rights then I just move on. They'll be so far off in luxury tax land by then, it won't be funny.

3. I put the heat on the Bulls by going after Tyson Chandler. I'll offer him somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 mil/year over 5 years. If the Bulls match, then I go after Curry.

4. I offer a contract to Damon Stoudamire for 2 years @ 4 mil/year. Team Option 3rd year. If we don't get a point guard in the draft then I may offer more years.

5. If we don't get Stoudamire, I offer Jeff McInnis a contract similar to the one I proposed for Stoudamire.

6. I'll check out the bidding for Joe Johnson. If it's above 7 mil/year, I stay away.

7. If Cuttino Mobley opts out of his deal. I go after him hard. I doubt he wants to play here though. I would offer in the 6-8 million dollar range.

8. I make a play for Larry Hughes. I feel pretty sure Washington will match anything reasonable and retain him under Bird rights. If nothing else, I'll drive the price up on Wahington.

9. If my previous attempts at centers have failed, then I go check out the Kwame situation. Because he is scheduled to make over 7 mil with Washington, we would have to offer at least that much. That is unless Washington opts not to pick his option up, especially if they had to overpay to keep Hughes. If they do not pick up th option, I make him an offer in the 5-6 mil/year range. I think he will be a next year trade deadline player for Washington because I can't see anyone offering him big money.

10.Those are the bigger moves I make. I would also consider the following players to fill out the roster.

Desagana Diop

Derrmarr Johnson

Marco Jaric

Tierre Brown

Dan Gadzuric

Marcus Pfizer

Eddie Griffin

Travis Best

SAR

Bobby Jackson

Donyell Marshall

Anthony Peeler

worse than Olowokandi or Joe Smith?

actually, there's a nice question...if you could have Olowokandi or Joe Smith, at their 'primes', which one would you take?

I don't want Bogut. Haven't reallly seen his game...but I'm not trusting it. We need some size and athleticism...nothing resembling Yao or a Euro Center...