• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks may get Deron Williams

RAHMOR

During the game one of the game announcers said the hawks were taking a good look at Deron Williams from Illinois. He said they like him because he's a big guard at 6'3.

If the hawks get the #1 pick and trade down with Utah so they can get Bogut would Utah be willing to give us both of their first round picks? Then we pick up a big man in FA.

Man, it is going to be a tough choice between Chris Paul and Deron Williams if we are going after a point guard. Chris Paul is such a great playmaker on offense. He knows when to score and when to distribute. Deron Williams has the better all around game. But there is just something about Chris Paul offensively that makes him a unique player. Our team right now does not have a go to player on offense, so I give a very slight edge to Chris Paul right now. But Deron Williams is right there.

In the NBA particularly in the East a big man is a rarity and a big man that can play even moreso. While Deron and Chris Paul would improve the Hawks what will the Hawks have at Center Drob. and Collier again which is atrocious at best. But if you stay with Lue, Delk and Ivey at PG and add Bogut IMO you look a lot better. Lue and Delk are not great but with good players around them they would look significantly better and both can score if you need that element --- if we could get 2 first rounders for our #1 and maybe our #2 I would consider it but I think the Bigs are critical.

What is all this about 'Do you think Utah would GIVE us their 2 1st rounders for our #1 pick?'

First off, I guess you're assuming we get the 1 and Utah gets the 4 pick.

What the thunder? Since when does the team holding the #1 pick have to hope that the team with the 4th pick might give them their 25th pick to move up???

SINCE WHEN is a #4 and a #26 worth a #1?

That's like asking if a pair of 3s and a pair of 8s is worth 3 aces. Um...no.

UTAH should be begging us to give up the #1 for that crummy package.

Do you remember when GS had to give up the #3 (Hardaway) AND THREE ADDITIONAL first rounders to move up to get #1 (Webber)???????

I would agree with you, but not in the case of having the number one pick. If we draft on need, I think we will be doing ourselves a big disservice. Andrew Bogut is a good player, but does he have the upside to be a superstar? That's the question you have to take into account, considering that this will probably be the #1 overall pick.

IMO, you don't pass on a guy like Marvin Williams for Andrew Bogut.

The 4th pick and 25th pick look very attractive if Mr. Knight's main intention is to draft Deron Williams. It's not a given that the 2nd or 3rd pick would want Bogut. Knight could get his guy plus another first round pick. Package his early 2nd with the 25th and get in the top 15 or 20.

I would like to see the Hawks draft Marvin Williams. He is young, wants to learn, his is quiet but he doesn't back down or lose his temper if you saw the MSU game when they tried to goad him into a technical. He is a beast on the glass as well. With the early second round pick, Maybe if his stock keeps dropping Knight could select John Gilchrist or trade up a few spots for him. And then go all out for Samuel Dalembert as a FA

PG: Tyronne Lue, John GIlchrist

SG: Josh childress, Boris Diaw, FA

SF: Al Harrington, Josh Smith

PF: Marvin Williams, Tom Googs

C: Samuel Dalembert, PDrobs

Reason I put Al at SF is that he said he is looking to lose weight and his frame is better suited to guard SF than PF. Plus Marvin can hit a 12 footer from the top of the key giving Al the chance to still play in the post. Like to Have J Smoove starting but it's always good to have depth.

I have been very impressed w/ Deron. I think he would be a better pick for us than Bogut. Especially if we could trade down and pick up more picks in doing so. There are a few bigs available in fa so it makes no sense for us to draft big instead of going for a guy like dalmebert. I think getting a guy like williams who can distribute and defend is a no brainer.

Quote:

There are a few bigs available in fa so it makes no sense for us to draft big instead of going for a guy like dalmebert.

two things:

a) no guarantee that we can get any of the bigs...even the UFA swift may go to charlotte...

b) we need BPA, not to draft for need...

i think bogut is the better player than deron...we'll see if bk thinks so as well

While D. Williams may not singlehandedly "fix" the D he would be a great improvement over Lue. In the last two tourney games, Williams has guarded Garcia and Salim, two good O players. He basically shut both of them down. I think he would improve our D. In fact, I am not sure that any of the projected top draft picks would improve our team D more than D. Williams. Tonight against Felton will be another good test.

Quote:

i would be happy with one of two logical situations:

We draft Deron Williams via the trading thing. We signed a big man OR TWO in free agency.

We draft Bogut and sign Jaric.

I think either of those scenarios works. My personal preference is to draft Deron (thought I don't think I would do so with the number 1 pick) and sign Dalembert, because I thinke represents the potential for better interior defense versus Bogut. I realize this is the far riskier approach, because Dalembert and the other restricted free agent centers will be difficult to obtain, but I think it really fits the teams present make-up best.

• Premium Member

I think it may be pssible to fix the defense in FAcy... By overpaying some interior defender.

I don't know if trading for Williams is the answer, but if we can get Utah to take #1 for their #4, #25, and another 1st next yr, you bet cha bottom dollar, we should...

Just imagine a draft this yr of us getting:

D. Williams, Channing Frye, and Luther Head(2nd)....

Then us picking up Swift in FAcy..

We'd have:

Williams, Chillz, Harrington, Swift, Frye...

Until we found a trade for Harrington.

If we can get 3 picks out of it, I would strongly consider it, especially if it is the best of Utah's picks next year.

I'm not sold on it, still, but I'd take a long look.

No way I'm doing it for the #26 alone. We can trade up to the #26 or so by moving our #31 plus an additional 2nd rounder. What's the point?

Also, we should remember we'll have 2 firsts next year. At some point, you run out of room for these guys and have to start trading them.

Let's say we keep Chill, Smoove, Smith, Ivey. We draft 2 firsts and a #31 this year. Let's say Gerald Green, Jarrett Jack, Salim Stoudamire. That's 7 guys. Then, we draft 3 first rounders next year with the Utah and Boston/Lakers picks. That's 10 guys who are awfully young and who are going to be FA's around the same time. That doesn't count 2nd rounders from that year, either.

If we decided to sign any big men in the meantime, where did we put them? I guess we let Harrington walk.