• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Webber in lots of Trouble....

emeans

Webber, Rose, Robert Traylor, and Mo Taylor all received $$$ from Martin... and the only person who denies it is WEBBER.

Its better to just say the TRUTH in court... worse case, they violate NCAA rule.

His failure to tell the truth can hurt him, but hey this is the US. If u have the $$$ to hire the BEST LAWYER (which we all know Webber is capable of doing), u can pretty much get away with anything- if u dont believe me, ask OJ!

This wont be an articulate post:

F--- the NCAA. They rip atheletes off. Schools use them to make money. Myself included. For what an education that cost 10K/yr @ most and some free atheletic department clothing. Players should get paid. That would get rid of boosters. Glover said it himself even 20K would be way more than enough. College atheletics will continue to decline until title 9 is re evaluated and atheletes from money making sports are paid more than perdium.

Hell a lot of students get 5 to 8K per semester in academic scholarships/stipends/assistantships atheletes could easily recieve the same deal. But many schools block this because it could cause NCAA investigations.

Im kinda neutral in this debate...

I dont think college athletes should get paid. I mean, good ballers can go to ST JOHNS/DUKE/UNC and get a full scholarship with a guarentee to be on the team- hell thats good enuf!

But whats unfair is that STUDENTS with academic success are allowed to get ALLOWANCES FROM UNIVERSITIES. I know couple people who get a monthly allowance from GA TECH just cuz they're smart.

So i do understand BOTH SIDES of the argument... but i cant quite agree on 1 side.

Dont get me wrong. I'm not against smart students getting money from the school, the schools are screwing enough kids who are paying full tuition at a state funded institution. It gives students extra incentive to go to a GA Tech or U.Florida over Harvard.I am all for someone getting a good deal. Hell I cant complain I'm going to get a nice little check myself from my MBA program this fall, I just pray they dont find out how much I make so I dont lose it.

Is that I have to pay $1,000 per class, which comes to $20,000 a year before interest. If thats not bad enough, the state of Texas says that students at schools like mine (The Art Institute) must take extra bullsh*t classes just so they COULD transfer the credits to a state university if they wanted. Big problem here is that no state university has a grad program in multimedia and web design like I am studying so no way would I be transferring anyways. So to clear room for these 4-5 extra classes we have to take now they cut out some very important classes for web designers, which means I have to join the grad program our school has an take night classes, at $1,500 a class. Talk about getting the screw job.

• Premium Member

I agree with BHD. Atheletes should get paid. Period.

Until there becomes a system for the athletes to make it to the pros like Euro players make it... Athletes should be paid to go to College.

The bottom line for me is that I see how Athletes BRING MONEY into college. Major Money.

I went to Va Tech for Grad School and while there, I saw how Beamerball BROUGHT MILLIONS AND MILLIONS Of dollars into the school. Must have been over 12-15 million in 4 yrs. The State can't match that kind of money. Almuni doesn't match that kinda money. That money was made on the Backs of the football program. In other words... The school enlisted Slaves.

So you say... Well they got an education.

That's fine. BUT HOW many of these people on ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIP help bring in 12-15 million in 4 yrs? They get a stipend, why should athletes?

(Don't get me wrong, I had an academic scholarship for undergrad.... So I can talk from that side as well).

The collegiate system is getting over. They have a system of Slavery.

The remedy is for the NBA to offer an alternative to college basketball. Make a real developmental league that can compete against colleges for TV contracts and what not. If you were to do that... and give the player coming out of HS a choice to persue academics or to make money playing basketball with the opportunity to go pro.

YOu would see a lot less illegal things going on... And you would see: UNC, DUke, FS, VATech, UVA, Mich, and many other schools crying at D. Sterns doorstep.

Guest Walter

While I appreciate both sides on this issue, given your racist history here it is no surprise which side you are on and why. What I don't get are the overt sexist overtones that accompany your post.

In reply to:

"College atheletics will continue to decline until title 9 is re evaluated..."

I'm not sure what "re evaluated" means to you but in the context of "so atheletes from money making sports are paid more than perdium" suggests that to you it means getting rid of women's sports (as they are not money making save UT and UConn's BBall programs) so that the moderate number of men's sports that make money will see all their money remain in their sport and for their team.

This is NOT a solution!

You are wanting to turn the clock back 20+ years against women and you are wanting to make the NCAA even more of a "bottom line" corporation that only allows investments in "money making" sports. Small colleges, men's teams that participate in a lesser known sport, etc. will further be stamped out of existence in favor of "profit only" sports franchises. Coincedentally, US placement in Olympic sports will suffer tremendously.

The "college experience" itself, while not satisfying for BHD apparently, is extremely satisfying from millions, including atheltes. To suggest that an institution of higher learning should give up even the appearance of that noble goal in favor of higher player salaries is sickening. Not that I don't think atheltes should have the opportunity for compensation above their having the sheer opportunity to go to college when they otherwise could not (particularly, as studies suggest, those student athletes within money making collegiate sports) thanks to lesser academic entrance requirements for student athletes, significant scholarship, housing, boarding, book, etc. amounts. It just shouldn't be at the expense of sports for women (the retraction of title 9 would trickle down to HS), most non-money making sports, and outside of the framework for all (non-athlete) students to earn additional money from their state or the university.

The result is the taking of "student" out of "student athlete". These are students first and foremost whether or not they accept that as their charge upon entering an educational institution. This is not naive. People can go to college for other reasons than education. As one big singles bar, as a escape from "real life", etc. Whatever their reason for going the institution's motivation for being is to educate.

So how do students and ALL (not just male, money making) student athletes receive the same opportunity to receive and/or make additional money on top of the money some students have received for academic accomplishments and students athletes for athletic ones?

"Blind" scholarship and assistantship awards, the later particularly to classroom and lab experienced upperclassmen, would help some athletes. A relaxation of some outdated or overbearing NCAA work regulations would be another. Strict enforcement of the 20hr rule limiting the amount of practice time...

Similarly, athletes can garner academic scholarships. You realize, of course BHD, that any athlete who also has an academic scholariship may turn down the athletic one and accept the academic one. In the state of Georgia if you are a resident, all you need is a B average and your education to any in-state public college is paid for. The institutions encourage it because it frees up more athletic scholarship money. My thoughts? Any student athlete who works hard enough to compete as an athlete and as a student might should earn additional compensation with a primary scholarship coming from one arena and a secondary stipend from the other.

I appreciate that Dion Glover wanted to "get paid". Nothing would suggest he ever wanted anything other than that. However, I do not think women, men in non-money making sports, and the more academically deserving student population at large would appreciate his argument whatsoever or feel sorry for him for the pressure he felt in making his decision.

For those who aren't the Dion Glover's of the world, better to go to college for an education first and foremost, not for the "stipend" shirt BHD wants taken off the backs of women collegiate athletes and non-money making sports.

W

Guest Walter

That's exactly what a full scholarship including classes, room, board, books, and some expenses in some cases, while providing many athletes the opportunity to go to college otherwise, when they otherwise couldn't for academic or financial reasons, get as payment.

I suggest you look at an AD budget for a major college before you wow at the $12 million dollar figure you threw out. It's HUGE and the cost of running an athletic department is growing faster than the revenue it brings in.

I further reject the notion that student athletes bring the University more money than I guess everything else. The average cost of going out of state to UT (according to UT's web site) for one year including on campus housing, tuition, books, and board is $25,000. It takes only 100 out of state tuition students over their minimum 4 years to make up $10 million of the $12 million dollars (OVER $ YEARS) in revenue you throw in the readers face as a huge amount.

You offer no framework for HOW and WHAT student athletes can get paid OVER AND ABOVE opportunity and scholarship. You simply say they should. Well, I think the whole student body other than athletes should "get paid" too! Isn't that nice. Hell, I should get paid too for being an alumn. PULEAZE! HOW and WHAT student athletes get paid? How much? Where does it come from aside from athletic budgets which are stretched to the limit (from paying to keep up a variety of sports, pay coaches, and due to the frenzied demand of fans for winning at all costs, even ex-coaches, administrators, support staff, allow for scholarship and the lost revenue that comes with giving up class seats to non-paying student athletes, etc.)whether or not you can read a spread sheet.

I'd like to pay everybody more (including student athletes) but how and at what expense to others is all-important when deciding if one can and should.

W