• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My 2 cents on Bogut

MikeJ

Well here's my bit on Bogut. I've been reading all these posts for months now. I have a bit of info about Bogut as I have played against him as a junior. It wasn't formal competition, just pick up games at Monash University in Melbourne. I'm not going to comment on his game as he was a 14 year old playing against my 19 year old friends. As a 14 year old, he was very much a small forward in an underdeveloped body. He has had to translate his game into a big mans game as a result of his growth spurts. Anyway, as a young boy, he had good handles and passing skills but was really an oustanding shooter. He hasn't lost that touch, he just doesn't use it as much. His place is obviously in the paint with his size. That's about all I can say about his game as it's changed somewhat since I saw it last.

What I can honestly comment on is his attitude. He is motivated, tenacious, vocal and the best bit is, he will not back down from anyone. As a 14 year old playing against 19 year olds, I'd be pretty timid, I probably wouldn't go in for the rebounds or take the body contact. He did every time. Ans now he's got the body to back it up.

When I look at the Hawks, when I look at our big men (Collier, Drob) I feel that I could drive it in with confidence. We neeeeed someone who wont invite anyone into the paint. I'm not saying he'll block everything. What he might be like is Brad Miller (remember when he fronted up to Shaq) or Bill Laimbeer. Just a tough bastard who teammates can stand behind and not feel so small. I think that's what we need in the middle. Not to mention all the other attributes that he'll bring to the game.

Guest Walter

MikeJ,

Let me just add, it's good to know that Bogut developed as a Sf as late as age 14. IMO that and his international experience are big pluses. Given he's been playing inside for only a few years now and is just now learning the US game, he will only learn to use his body better (scary) and the US game more given time and opportunity.

Big pluses.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

The first time Alleyne entered the game, Bogut called for the ball in the high post in an attempt to use his quickness to dribble to the basket, but Alleyne rejected the shot for one of his two blocks.

"You're not going to find many people in the United States as big as Shagari," Hayes said. "He is a freak of nature.
Bogut hasn't played against anybody that tall and long. When Shagari blocked his shot, it set the tone."

Alleyne's block marked the first of five straight misses for Bogut in the first half. UK used that time to build a 21-11 lead.

Quote:

Bogut finished with 20 points and 12 rebounds, right at his season averages, but he made just 8 of 19 shots and 4 of 11 free throws. The contender for National Player of the Year honors had been shooting 62.5 percent from the field.

Quote:

Bogut finished with 20 points and 12 rebounds, right at his season averages, but he made just 8 of 19 shots and 4 of 11 free throws. The contender for National Player of the Year honors had been shooting 62.5 percent from the field.

Yeah, and if I remember correctly Bogut started the game 2-11 or something like that, BUT he was able to solve whatever problem the Kentucky big people were giving him and had an overall good game. Except for his free throw shooting of course.

If I can play gm for a moment, I would take a big man over a similar little man anyday of the week. For some reason people seem to believe that Bogut is a finished product, when he is actually far from comlete. I like how some people on this board like to point to one or two questionable performances by Bogut, but will overlook the one or two questionable performances by Paul. I would be happy with either player, but if I'm Billy Knight I'm looking at the Hawks lack of rebounding big people and I'm taking Bogut.

After looking at all the post from everyone including someone who has known him since a teenager I think the smartest choice is Bogut. Unlessen he just bombs at the Chicago Predraft camp or does poorly on our indivual workouts this is who I would pick at #1. Now if we get the 2ndpick then I would entertain in trading down with Utah. If Utah ended up in the 4thpostion then I would give them the 2ndpick for their 2picks. Utah would still be happy to get Chris Paul because they don't have a star pointguard since losing Arroyo. Sloan's team will be able to cover up Paul's defensive liabilites(sp). I think Deron Williams is worth a look after the 2ndpick but no earler than that.

If the Hawks don't get the first pick then I rather they just pick the point guard they think is best at 2, whether that is Paul or Williams. Both will likey be gone by the 4th pick, which means the Hawks would be left to sift through alot of questionable talents.

Quote:

If the Hawks don't get the first pick then I rather they just pick the point guard they think is best at 2, whether that is Paul or Williams. Both will likey be gone by the 4th pick, which means the Hawks would be left to sift through alot of questionable talents.

btw, most mocks and other team fans have deron going more like 7-10, not 1-3...the hawks fans are high on him, but the general population isn't quite so optimistic about his abilities...

draftcity has him at 11 (they aren't doing for need yet, tho)

nbadraft.net does have him at 4, but only because 4 is utah and if paul and bogut are gone, then utah would take deron most likely (they are doing for need)

also they have felton at 10 and jack at 28!

(draftcity has felton/jack at 6/12)

bogut/jack is definitely a possible outcome of this draft

Guest Walter

If the "luxury" is not playing against 7'3" centers in college then just about every college center in the last 10 years at least is guilty as charged.

Paul played againt one 6'5" Pg and Marty Collins scored a career high 25 points against Paul. Paul's gonna see that kinda height night in and night out in the NBA. YIKES!

Do I need to post the heights and weights of the centers averaging 8 PPG or more for the season Bogut did play against for the third time this morning or are you gonna play nice?

W

• Moderators

Diesel - Can you name a single player in the NCAA who is 7'3'' or taller and has an 8'0'' wingspan or longer? Shagari is a freak in terms of size, both in height but especially in wingspan. I'm not sure I know of anybody in the NBA with as big a wingspan as Shagari so it is no surprise about Bogut not having seen that before.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Diesel - Can you name a single player in the NCAA who is 7'3'' or taller and has an 8'0'' wingspan or longer?

An 8' wingspan! I had no idea and have never heard of such a thing.

I wouldn't be suprised if all the existing NBA centers combined have never played against an 8' wingspan. Anyone know what Mark Eaton's wingspan was? Geeze.

W

• 3 years later...
Diesel - Can you name a single player in the NCAA who is 7'3'' or taller and has an 8'0'' wingspan or longer? Shagari is a freak in terms of size, both in height but especially in wingspan. I'm not sure I know of anybody in the NBA with as big a wingspan as Shagari so it is no surprise about Bogut not having seen that before.

Heard of Kenny George before?

That guy is 7,7" (barefoot and 7,9" w/ shoes), 360 lbs, and his wingspan is an unbelievable 8,5"!!! That guy is almost unreal! He can basically stand flatfooted and dunk!

But how in the world can he let somebody 6,9" dunk on him? If you watch closely his hands are clearly above the rim while he's still standing on the floor!