• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves playing well!

chillzatl

• Admin

Went to the game on sunday. Smoltz is lights out. Even on an off-day, when he didn't have his usual stuff. He was killing guys with the mental game. He's really pitching on a different level so far this year. To have had an 11 somethign ERA after one game and to be back under 3 after 5, that says A LOT.

The offense has been pretty ugly. But fortunately the pitching is there. I thik the offense will pick up too. Furcal, Andrew , estrada and Giles will all pick it up as te season progresses. I think Jordan will be solid as well.

I'm a little worried about Jordan (and Mondesi obviously.)

They hit juuust timely enough to keep their roster spots. I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the prospects is in LF and/or RF by midseason. Or at least platooned.

He's raking the ball at Richmond right now. Many Braves scouts have felt for a while now that he was one of the better hitting prospects they have in the minors. Johnson is posting of OPS that is pushing 1.000 at Richmond right now. When they first got him, they compared his swing to Chipper's. I think you may see him in left field some before the year is out. At the latest, he'll be the starting left fielder in 2006, IMO.

Mondesi and Jordan have both been poor. Jordan has been slightly better, but I think he's only hitting .230 or so. Mondesi just doesn't have the same quick bat he used to. You really have to serve him one for him to hit it.

If Mondesi is not hitting .250 by June 15th, I expect to see him cut. Marte or Johnson will be playing right field. They couldn't do much worse. It's hard to win a division with two outfielders hitting .200 with very little power. We did it with one (Reggie Sanders in 2000, I think) before, but it will be tough with 2.

well where are we going to find room for johnson,marte,farncouer, and langerhans. langerhans is impressive and marte and farncouer are already being touted as superstars. chipper and andrew arent going anywhere.

also does anyone got any info on how Brian McCann is doing? some people said he was like johnny bench and estarda is leaving alot to desired offensivly

Last time I looked, McCann had hit 5 home runs in around 80 at bats. His average was close to .300, and his slugging percentage was around .650, which is remarkable at any level.

Miguel Bernard is another catcher that his absolutely killing the ball right now. Bernard is overaged for his level though. His defensive skills have kept him in the system, but it wasn't till last year that he started hitting the ball well.

This guy really came into his own last year, making the Southern league All-Star team. This year, he's hitting over .380 in his first 90 AB at Richmond. I do believe he's 22....at most 23.

Supposedly, he's quite sound defensively, too. Looks like the Braves have a trio of talented catching prospects. I think McCann projects the best, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Pena as Estrada's backup next year. I like Eddie Perez as an individual, but I've never liked his slow bat.

Braves are in a good situation with 2 top outfield prospects, 2 good shortstop prospects, 2 top catchers (Bernard is a middling prospect), a stud at 3rd base, and 3 top pitchers (Davies, Stevens, Lerew) that I know of. There might be more pitchers...can't keep up with all the levels.

.....the Braves also have a young catcher named Jarrod Saltalamacchia who has a very bright future. His future may not be behind the plate though. He's about 6'4", 210 lbs right now.

Also, Clint Sammons has the reputation of being a great defensive catcher.

I thought Billy McCarthy might make the team this year out of spring training if we kept 5 outfielders, which we almost never do....

The Braves don't like to rush higher level prospects, so Kelly Johnson may get a full half season in at AAA or more. When they cut Mondesi (soon, please?), we might see McCarthy called up. Cox likes him a lot. He's a solid hitter...lots of line drives. He'll probably never hit 20 homers in a season the bigs, but I think he has a good shot at being a .300 hitter.

We have far too many options to keep Mondesi on the big league club. His .198 average is really wearing on me. He's had 150 at bats or so to figure it out. Every other hitter who was struggling has gotten it together (Laroche, Jones, Estrada, Jordan). Mondesi just doesn't have it. I say "ADIOS! VAYA CON DIOS!"

My prediction: he is cut on June 5th. Step right up and make your prediction. We'll start a pool. When will Mondesi be cut?