• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chris Paul is the right fit for Hawks

criss_cross

Think about it, drafting Chris Paul would not only make the Hawks more exciting, he would make them a much better team next season. If the Hawks draft Bogut, I don't think he would fill seats as much as Paul would. The Hawks would really benefit with a run n gun type of offense because most of the players offense is raw. If they draft Bogut, they would have to slow the offense down and play alot of halfcourt offense which would not be a good thing for the Hawks. Even ESPN knows the best way to improve a team is to take a legit point guard. Look at what happen in the NFL, Alex Smith wasn't the best player or the biggest potential, but he went no.1 because the 49ers knew the best way to get better is to draft a QB. Why don't we just offer Eddy Curry(or Tyson Chandler) big money because I think he's about to breakout soon. With a talented roster, lots of money, a point guard to get him the ball, and a beautiful place to play for, who would not wanna sign with the team.

Lineup:

pg.Chris Paul- he's ready to run the show at A-town

sg.Josh Childress- This guy just keeps getting better.

sf.Josh Smith- lots of people would come to watch the Paul and Smith Show.

pf.Al Harrington-He will provide a much needed inside presence.

c.Eddy Curry- This is gonna be the season where he breaks out. Why do you think the Bulls would do everything to keep him.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

sorry, unless he's a 30ppg scorer, which he WILL NOT be or he plays above the rim, A LOT, he won't fill the seats in the Phil.

Oh yah, offer Eddy Curry lots of money when nobody knows when or if he'll ever play again.. good one.

Got to love fan homers.

• Premium Member

But Vick was not a consensus #1...

The Chargers could have had him but thought that he might burn them the way that Leaf did.

click.

Now, there are a lot of people who have said that Paul was the best college player ALL year and he lived up to a lot of the hype, but Draft time is coming and just like the Chargers, people are getting cold feet about Paul?

Sounds like Vick's story to me.

Quote:

sorry, unless he's a 30ppg scorer, which he WILL NOT be or he plays above the rim, A LOT, he won't fill the seats in the Phil.

Oh yah, offer Eddy Curry lots of money when nobody knows when or if he'll ever play again.. good one.

Got to love fan homers.

He'll be a stranger for along time, if he keeps talking like that, right?

smile.gif

We do need a PG who can push the ball on the break. But you know who can do that? About 95% of NBA point guards.

In Bogut you get a passing big man who can get his own points and get smoove and chill shots in rhythm as they slash through the lane. And you get a big man who is an excellent rebounder, and can throw the long outlet pass to get the break started. Those are much more rare than a PG who can run.

Also, our main goal should not be to put fans in the seat. That's what AOL tried to do, get so called big names to appease the crowds. Our goal should be to be the best team possible in a couple of years, to eventually contend. Fast break teams don't usually contend. They end up folding in the playoffs. You NEED a good half court offense to have any chance at contention. And that relies on a talented big man.

I feel much more confident that we can find the PG of our future as a FA or in next year's draft, than I do about us finding the C of our future out there. That is why we need Bogut.

Start building a winner and people will come. Hell Josh Smith alone got people coming alot more after he won the dunk contest. All we need is for people to start seeing that the hawks are progressing and finally doing things the right way for the crowds to improve

We do need a good outside shooting point since our other core pieces really arent outside shooters. We also seem to want to run. Paul is perfect for that, but he probably will be a defensive liability. I'm actually not sure that he'll be much better than Lue. If BK drafts him I'll figure he's better than I thought or else we slid down outta the top two picks. I want to see us slide down in a trade with Charlotte and take Deron Williams and Green or Taft or maybe an international player like Splitter. If we dont slide down, I trust BK to make the right decision but I really would want Paul the least of the big3.

Chris Paul is Brevin Knight with a better jumper. Paul does not have the athletic ability to penetrate and finish in the lane in the Pros. He regularly had his shot rejected in the lane in college. Paul is not a bad player at all but he is simply not worth a top 3 pick and IMO he is not a better player than D. Williams. Williams is bigger, a better defender, and better passer. Williams is not as quick as Paul but is big and strong enough to finish in the lane. Williams' jumper is slightly behind Pauls but he is improving. Both guys are good leaders. Williams is excellant at running the break and making the quick pass up the court and would fit in very well here with the Two Js. While I am not sure that either Paul or Williams is worth a top 4 pick, I do believe Williams is a better choice for us.

Quote:

Now, there are a lot of people who have said that Paul was the best college player ALL year and he lived up to a lot of the hype, but Draft time is coming and just like the Chargers, people are getting cold feet about Paul?

Sounds like Vick's story to me.

If you cut and paste a small part of Vick's story you might find a resemblance to Paul's. Vick was on the top ten highlights almost every week when he played in college. Vick is/was a freak athletically. Paul would have to be the next AI or greater to be compared to Vick. My take is that Paul is a little more Earl Watson than Allen Iverson.

Please don't compare Paul to Vick.

• Moderators

Quote:

But Vick was not a consensus #1...

Yes he was. The Chargers did not want to take on a high contract quarterback but Vick was absolutely the consensus #1 pick in the draft. There was no way any other player would have gone #1 overall that year - that is a consensus #1.

Paul is not a consensus #1.

Moreover, Vick had unseen physical skills sufficient to redefine his position. He wasn't without risk but the upside was through the roof. That isn't Paul either.

That said, I do agree with the idea that Paul would do a good job running a fast break team in the NBA and that he would help Josh Smith become a bigger star with his distribution skills.

The Vick/Paul comparison is not a good one at all, IMO.

good centers are harder to find even more than points...Bogut is special and we need to grab him..Sure, we'll still need a point, but heck, that's all we'll need because we'll have other positions filled...we can use free agency to build depth at all positions and maybe try to get another point that has a bit more potential and can provide depth..

• Premium Member

I think good PGs are harder to find that Centers.

Or better yet, the drought for a big time C is so huge that finding one is irrelevant.

Name the teams that have true Cs (Good; Starters) in the league?

Let me try this:

Miami = Shaq.

Utah = Okur

Cleveland = Big Z.

Chicago = Eddy Curry

Houston = Ming

Golden State = Foyle

Dallas = Damp

Lakers = Vlade

Kings = Miller

Portland = Pryz

From this... Only 5 of those teams made the playoffs and only 2 of those teams are still playing.

A team like Chicago wouldn't have gone anywhere with their combo PG. Same with the Kings and Bibby.

Quote:

Or better yet, the drought for a big time C is so huge that finding one is irrelevant.

Let me try this:

Miami = Shaq.

Utah = Okur

Cleveland = Big Z.

Chicago = Eddy Curry

Houston = Ming

Golden State = Foyle

Dallas = Damp

Lakers = Vlade

Kings = Miller

Portland = Pryz

From this... Only 5 of those teams made the playoffs and only 2 of those teams are still playing.

A team like Chicago wouldn't have gone anywhere with their combo PG. Same with the Kings and Bibby.

Hell if you are including the likes of Foyle and Pryzbilla, then where is Brendan Haywood, Chris Kaman, Dalembert, Lorenzen Wright?

• Moderators

Quote:

Let me try this:

Miami = Shaq.
playoffs

Utah = Okur

Cleveland = Big Z.

Chicago = Eddy Curry
playoffs

Houston = Ming
playoffs

Golden State = Foyle
sucks

Dallas = Damp
playoffs

Lakers = Vlade
Didn't play this season

Kings = Miller
playoffs

Portland = Pryz
played better than average for the first time this year

• Moderators

Quote:

Good PGs (ranking not really done or important): 14

Steve Nash

Jason Kidd

Allen Iverson

Baron Davis

Gilbert Arenas

Mike Bibby

Stephon Marbury

Kirk Hinrich

Sam Cassell

Steve Francis

Andre Miller

Tony Parker

Chauncy Billups

Jamaal Tinsley

Arguable: 10

Lebron James (position?)

Dwayne Wade (position?)

TJ Ford

Shaun Livingston

Jason Terry

Jason Williams

Damon Stoudemire (16/6)/Sebastian Telfair

Jameer Nelson

Chris Duhon

Good Cs: 9

Shaquille ONeal

Ben Wallace

Yao Ming

Jamal Magloire

Zyndrunas Ilgauskus

Marcus Camby

Brad Miller

Eddy Curry

Samuel Dalembert

Arguable: 7

Amare Stoudemire (position?)

Memhet Okur

Joel Pryzbilla

Eric Dampier

Nenad Krstic

Vlade Divac

Chris Kaman

24:16

Add in this year's draft class and it is pretty obvious which position is easier to fill with a competent player.

• Premium Member

Sorry to tell you this but...

Wallace is a PF converted to C.

Camby is a PF converted to C (sometimes).

Stoudamire is a PF.

Now... take al the guys that are left and tell me what difference have they made?

Shaquille ONeal -Helps make the difference for his team but they didn't need him to win last two vs. Washington.

Yao Ming - He didn't make the playoffs last yr.

Jamal Magloire - His team finished with a bad record but injuries...

Zyndrunas Ilgauskus - His team didnt make playoffs.

Brad Miller - Made playoffs. Didn't do much, but he does make a difference.

Eddy Curry - Chicago is just as good without him .

Samuel Dalembert - He's important, but 76ers don't live and die on his play.

Memhet Okur - Comeon.

Joel Pryzbilla - Good but has he ever been in the playoffs?

Eric Dampier - Come on?

Nenad Krstic - Don't know how much of NJ's success to pin on him?

Vlade Divac - Come on?

Chris Kaman - Come on?

Now, look at the PGs...

Steve Nash - Phoenix would be nothing without Nash.

Jason Kidd - NJ would be nothing with Kidd.

Allen Iverson - 76ers would be nothing without Iverson.

Baron Davis - Look for GS to do better next season.

Gilbert Arenas - Washington would do nothing without Arenas.

Mike Bibby - Sac-Town would struggle without Bibby.

Stephon Marbury - Marbury is NY.

Kirk Hinrich/Duhon - Bulls would be the Hawks without these guys.

Sam Cassell - Last years playoffs said it all. when Cassell got hurt, Minny chances shrank.

Steve Francis - He carries his team.

Andre Miller - Denver could maintain without him but they would miss him.

Tony Parker - TP is a vital part of the Spurs.

Chauncy Billups - Billups is a vital part of the Champs.

Jamaal Tinsley - Is a vital part of the Pacers.

Dwayne Wade - Flash is just as big to the Heat as Kobe was to the Lakers.

TJ Ford - Speaks for itself. Last year with Ford, Milwaukee was a top team....

Shaun Livingston - Give him time.

Jason Terry - Dallas would function without JT because JT is not a true PG.

Jason Williams - Hmm? With earl Watson, Memphis can move on.

Damon Stoudemire (16/6)/Sebastian Telfair -Hmm?

I think it shows the importance of both positions but a PG is more important.