• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

is there a PG upgrade in the second round?

ggp

Nate Robinson doesn't fit what the Hawks want to do, and Luther Head is not a true point guard.

Be patient. The Hawks don't have to fill every need they have in this one offseason. This isn't a quick turnaround situation.

The Hawks will be very happy with getting Marvin Williams and Randolph Morris out of this draft.

Billy Knight is possibly looking at Joe Johnson as a potential point guard for this team.

I feel Gilchrist would be an upgrade at point guard over what we have now. He's played pretty good in every workout he's been in. Of course, it's not really a between the lines thing with Gilchrist as much as it is a between the ears thing. I've read he's been compared to Rod Strickland. I feel thats a pretty good parallel.

I am not stating I want us to draft Gilchrist, I like DWil, Paul, Felton, Ukic & Jack in that order.

Yea Hughes is a nice choice. Here is a list courtesy of about.com. Some decent talent here and a lot more talent to choose from than with free agent PF's and Center's. I assume that no comment besides a players name means unrestricted.

Free agent point guards:

1. Marko Jaric (Restricted)

2. Sarunas Jasikevicius

3. Antonio Daniels (Player Option)

4. Gary Payton

5. Brevin Knight

6. Earl Watson

7. Damon Stoudamire

8. Jeff McInnis

9. Chris Duhon (Restricted)

10. Damon Jones (Player Option)

11. Nick Van Exel (Team Option)

12. Dan Dickau (Option Declined)

13. Tyronn Lue

14. Darrell Armstrong

15. Jacque Vaughn (Team Option)

16. Howard Eisley

17. Tony Delk (Player Option)

18. Steve Blake

19. Keith McLeod (Restricted)

20. Milt Palacio

21. Travis Best

22. Frank Williams (Option Declined)

23. Erick Strickland

24. Jannero Pargo (Restricted)

25. Rick Brunson

26. Kenny Anderson

27. Tierre Brown

28. Keyon Dooling (Player Option)

29. Anthony Carter

30. Jamison Brewer

31. Eddie Gill

32. Andre Barrett

33. Luis Flores (Restricted)

34. Lionel Chalmers (Restricted)

35. Junior Harrington

36. Mateen Cleaves

37. Omar Cook

38. Quinton Ross

39. Mike Wilks

40. Anthony Goldwire

Free agent shooting guards:

1. Ray Allen

2. Michael Redd (Player Option)

3. Larry Hughes

4. Joe Johnson (Restricted)

5. Cuttino Mobley (Player Option)

6. Eddie Jones (Player Option)

7. Bobby Jackson (Team Option)

8. Kerry Kittles

9. Latrell Sprewell

10. Do not know what happened to their tenth pick?

11. Willie Green (Restricted/Early Bird Rights)

12. Jon Barry

13. Casey Jacobsen

14. DerMarr Johnson

15. Juan Dixon (Option Declined)

16. Lucius Harris

17. Raja Bell

18. Keith Bogans (Restricted/Early Bird Rights)

19. Maurice Evans (Restricted)

20. Kareem Rush (Option Declined)

21. Shandon Anderson

22. Dajuan Wagner (Option Declined)

23. Anthony Peeler

24. Greg Buckner (Player Option)

25. Matt Carroll

26. Damien Wilkins (Restricted)

27. Richie Frahm (Restricted)

28. Ron Mercer (Player Option)

29. Eddie House

30. Laron Profit

31. Erik Daniels (Restricted)

32. Tamar Slay (Team Option)

33. Romain Sato

34. Steve Smith

35. Wesley Person

36. Horace Jenkins (Restricted)

37. Qyntel Woods

38. Adreian Griffin

39. Kedrick Brown

40. Dion Glover

Web Site Link:

http://probasketball.about.com/od/newsrumo...reeagents05.htm

Thanks jamesdcrockett for that list. The ones that I like and feel we have the best possibility of getting are...

Free agent point guards:

6. Earl Watson - Haven't really followed him, but Deisel sure pumps him up a lot.

8. Jeff McInnis - I've always liked him. If we don't get a PG in the draft I'd really hope for us to go for him.

12. Dan Dickau (Option Declined) - I feel he didn't really get an opportunity with us the first time around but last year he showed some good in a few games. I'd get him for a backup role, maybe more.

39. Mike Wilks - He won me over from day one out of the NBDL. Hard-nosed and defensive minded. Good stuff here.

Free agent shooting guards:

3. Larry Hughes - He could 'realistically' be our PG even though he's truly a SG. I've always liked his game and it would be sweet to have him in ATL.

8. Kerry Kittles - Another player I've always liked. He'd be a good teacher for Chillz.

15. Juan Dixon (Option Declined) - There is no denying it, he can score. I wouldn't mind having him be our Ben Gordon.

17. Raja Bell - I believe he'd be another combo, splitting time behind Chillz and Smoove.

22. Dajuan Wagner (Option Declined) - I think he'd be able to play PG if needed as well.

Best possibility (seeing as though we will probably draft M.Will) with FA's showing in italic...

Hughes / McInnis / Ivey

Chillz / Kittles / Head

Smoove / Bell / D.Smith

Harrington / Williams / Drob

Chandler / K.Brown / Collier

I think Will Conroy is the closest to a pure point guard that is available in round 2. He has been compared to Eric Snow. Decent size, good distributer but not much of a shooter at this point.

Gilchrist may be worth a look in round 2 based on ability but he does not seem like the type of person you want on a developing team - i.e., he is not reliable at this point.

I think Luther Head is a real option - good size for the point, excellent athlete and defender, good shooter. Negatives are he has never really been a shooting guard but he does have Gilbert Arenas/Chauncey Billups type potential.

If you want an uptempo game, Nate would do fine. But I think he is a backup PG. Bring him in to add energy and shake things up. Might fit real well with Smoove. Might be a choice at 31 depending on what happens with #2 - will not last to 59. Saw one mock draft with him going in the first round, but most say mid-2nd.

From draftExpress:

Strengths:

"Robinson is probably the quickest player in college basketball and maybe the most exciting one as well. At 5-9, he has the ability to stay low to the ground with his dribble and can push the ball from end to end as well as anyone. Thanks to his extraordinary leaping ability (his vertical is reportedly 40 inches or more), Robinson can finish with ease and is effective at either end of the alley-oop (one of the highlight plays of the first half of the season was Robinson's alley-oop dunk against Arizona). He has become a fixture on SportsCenter's Top Ten.

More than just an athlete, Robinson can shoot the ball effectively with college three-point range (37.3% this season, up from 25.7% as a freshman), and the NBA three doesn't appear to be a problem for him. Because of his speed and quickness, he can get a shot whenever he wants and his jumping ability has meant that blocked shots haven't really been a problem for him in college despite his height. When he's going well, this means he can take over a game.

Robinson's quick hands and feet make him an effective full-court defender, and he can harass opposing point guards."

Weaknesses:

"No matter how great his leaping ability or how strong he is for his size, Robinson's height will always work against him. In particular, his court vision can be bothered by bigger opposing guards, and he is vulnerable to being shot over by the man he is defending.

Robinson isn't a true point guard, splitting time on the ball with junior Will Conroy, but he can't be used as anything other than a point guard in the NBA. He averages around two and a half assists per game. Thus, he'll have to look to create for his teammates more and improve his court vision.

Despite all the easy shots he creates, Robinson is still shooting around 43%, poor for a college player. Inconsistency is a major problem; he was a non-factor during this year's non-conference play and even in Pac-10 play he's been hold under double-digits three times thus far."

---

I've seen him play and he IS fun to watch. Not big enough for 1st Round, but certainly draftable.

yeti

Monta Ellis is a 6'3'' PG prospect who is a scoring machine. But he needs to seriously put on weight to be effective in the league, and because of this mock drafts have him dropping like a rock. It may get to the point where we could actually pick him up in the late 2nd round. We aren't going to win this coming up season, so he may be worth taking a look at. Aaron Miles might also be a player to pick up at our low 2nd rounder.

To continue on with this fun little thought...

If we get Bogut and we get the bare minimum from FA...

McInnis / Dickau / Ivey

Chillz / Stadoumire / D.Smith

Smoove / Bell

Harrington / Brown / Drob

Bogut / Anderson / Collier

Money-wise (please don't mind me not getting too specific) our priorities would go...

1. McInnis - He's done relatively good throughout his career so he'd most like get the most out of my four FAs.

2. Brown - Big men are big in this years free agency. Brown still has upside; there is room for improvement. He can train behind Harrington.

3. Bell - He is right in the same range and more than likely deserves more than Brown, but as I said, big men are big... He's not absolutely neccessary but he'd definitely be a good piece to the puzzle.

4. Dickau - It's time to bring him back. He showed some PG goodness towards the end of this past year with NO and he'd be able to get some decent minutes behind McInnis.

If we can't get McInnis then we go with Dickau starting and pick-up Wilks to split time with Ivey at backup PG. I sort of like this set up. Come on Bogut.