• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Insider on the Hawks pick with trade talk

Admin

Hawks: A number of teams have been calling the Hawks trying to pry away the No. 2 pick. With Bogut's looking like the Bucks' choice, the Hawks are faced with a serious dilemma. Do they take the best player, Marvin Williams, or do they take the guy they need, Deron Williams or Chris Paul?

If they draft Marvin, the the Hawks will have to do some major retooling this summer. Players such as Al Harrington and Boris Diaw would probably be traded and the coaching staff would likely have to play Williams a little out of position at the four.

If they draft Deron or Paul, the Hawks get help at a crucial position. Their point guard situation is an absolute mess. They could try to steal Earl Watson via free agency, but everyone on the Hawks feels Deron and Paul are much better prospects.

Everyone from the Blazers (they offered No. 3 and Darius Miles) to the Hornets (No. 4, No. 33 and Maciej Lampe) to the Bobcats (Nos. 5 and 13) to the Jazz (Nos. 6 and 27) have made their best offers.

The Bobcats' willingness to part with the Nos. 5 and 13 picks is the most intriguing. The problem is the Hawks feel neither Williams nor Paul, who is also high on their list, will be there at 5.

IMO, someone is going to have to blow Billy away to get him to pass on taking the best player in this draft.

New Orleans needs to step up with more than the 4th pick, the 33rd pick, and Lampe. Lampe is nothing but a throw in trash player.

Charlotte has a good deal, but the problem with that deal is that Atlanta likely misses out on both point guards.

Utah is definitely a no go, because there isn't a chance in hell that Atlanta gets Williams or Paul that low.

New Orleans either needs to throw Jamal Magloire into the equation, or throw in an unprotected first round pick in 2006 into that deal.

I hope that BK is just playing it safe so he can pick Marvin at #2 and then if Deron or Paul is there at #5 and if someone like Bynum or Petro is there at #13 he can make the trade then, i have that if Charlotte takes a bigman at #13 like Petro that would be a good sign a trade with the Hawks will be announced soon after

Quote:

Hawks: A number of teams have been calling the Hawks trying to pry away the No. 2 pick. With Bogut's looking like the Bucks' choice, the Hawks are faced with a serious dilemma. Do they take the best player, Marvin Williams, or do they take the guy they need, Deron Williams or Chris Paul?

Everyone from the Blazers (they offered No. 3 and Darius Miles) to the Hornets (No. 4, No. 33 and Maciej Lampe) to the Bobcats (Nos. 5 and 13) to the Jazz (Nos. 6 and 27) have made their best offers.

The Bobcats' willingness to part with the Nos. 5 and 13 picks is the most intriguing. The problem is the Hawks feel neither Williams nor Paul, who is also high on their list, will be there at 5.

This is typical insider when it comes to BK, no info on the Hawks stance just a reference to the " most intriguing" (which is ESPN's thoughts not BK's)

You got three teams coming after Marvin=you have four scout teams who think he is ALL THAT! Plus what your scouts have said. No way Marvin gets away from me if I am GM.

We are a 13 win team, arguabley the worst and least talented team in the league with only Billy Knight's draft picks and Al Harrington to look at as possible building blocks. We have the opportunity to take the guy who has the most potential of any player in this draft....a guy who has the elite ability to be a true superstar player in the NBA.....a guy that several teams are willing to move up to get.

And some of you want to pass on that player?

I really wonder what some of you will be saying three years from now when Marvin Williams is putting up numbers like 23 ppg, 10 rpg, and 5 apg while shooting 50% from the field.

Good Stuff. Looks like if the Bucks take Bogut, than the Hawks would take Marvin. But Portlands pick becomes interesting because if they take Green(even though they might trade out) then that would leave Paul or Williams at #5(where the hawks would pick if they traded with Charlotte.) So the hawks would be in a good situation. Then they wouldnt have to deal with the logjam at forward that chad ford and this board has previously talked about. All the hawks would have to think about is who to take at #13. Andrew Bynum, Fran Vazquez? No matter what trades are made or not made, I fully expect that Atl comes away with a point guard and big man from this draft.

Quote:

We are a 13 win team, arguabley the worst and least talented team in the league with only Billy Knight's draft picks and Al Harrington to look at as possible building blocks. We have the opportunity to take the guy who has the most potential of any player in this draft....a guy who has the elite ability to be a true superstar player in the NBA.....a guy that several teams are willing to move up to get.

I really wonder what some of you will be saying three years from now when Marvin Williams is putting up numbers like 23 ppg, 10 rpg, and 5 apg while shooting 50% from the field.

Could happen, but then again let me remind you of other former top prospects taken 1 or 2 in the draft and ask yourself if you really would be kicking yourself now if you passed on them: Kwame Brown, Glenn Robinson, Darko Milicic, Pervis Ellison, Sam Bowie, Michael Olowakandi, Stromile Swift, etc.

Point is, plenty of players that are deemed uber prospects turnout to be nothing more then average, and certainly have not led their teams to a championship.

The Hawks could just as easily be kicking themselves for passing on Danny Granger or Gerald Green. Impossible to predict.

It loosk like the Lakers will get the Portland pick. THey will then take either Paul or Green. If they take Green, then Paul or Deron will be available at #5. BK should just take MWilliams and then tell Charlotte that we'll talk when we see what's available at #5.

If Portlands swaps picks with the Lakers, it looks like they'll use #10 to take Bynum, which is too bad that he'd be gone at #13.

Quote:

Be another draft pick to add to the list of "Players we missed out on". Marvin may be better in the long run than Bogut. But I would take either at #2 and not blink and eye.

Inside,

I heard about the lakers deal also. Allegedly, they have been wanting Green for a long time and feel that hes closer than any of his high school peers to play this year. Hopefully that would hold up if the trade went through. Also, if Portland slid back I hear they really like Martell Webster. Its all speculation to this point but I think we can all agree that Atlanta is in a great position if the Bucks take Bogut.

Quote:

Could happen, but then again let me remind you of other former top prospects taken 1 or 2 in the draft and ask yourself if you really would be kicking yourself now if you passed on them: Kwame Brown, Glenn Robinson, Darko Milicic, Pervis Ellison, Sam Bowie, Michael Olowakandi, Stromile Swift, etc.

With the exception of Glen Robinson, who by the way was no where near the bust the rest of these characters where (he did make a all star team or two did'nt he?), all these guys are bigs. Judged not on just skills and talent but also on strenghth and size.

SF/SG/PG have to have the talent more than the size to be considered the best player in the draft. Marvin Williams could very well be the best talent (not prospect) since LeBron.

And yes I am saying a better talent than Howard and Okefor.

Quote:

Quote:

With the exception of Glen Robinson, who by the way was no where near the bust the rest of these characters where (he did make a all star team or two did'nt he?), all these guys are bigs. Judged not on just skills and talent but also on strenghth and size.

SF/SG/PG have to have the talent more than the size to be considered the best player in the draft. Marvin Williams could very well be the best talent (not prospect) since LeBron.

And yes I am saying a better talent than Howard and Okefor.

No way he is a better talent then Howard, absolutely no way be cracks the top two in last years draft if he had decided to come out.

Glenn Robinson was not an outright bust, but he is not a guy you build a championship team around either - even during his best years. Remember, a team with Glenn, Ray Allen and Cassell could get no traction in the playoffs.

Other examples of "non-bigs" who have been top picks but failed to materialize into franchise players include: Jay Williams, Keith Van Horn, Kenny Anderson, Mike Dunleavey, Darius Miles, Jerry Stackhouse, Billy Owens, Shawn Elliott, Dennis Hopson, etc.

The fact of the matter is that there is not an extensive history of small forwards being drafted in the top two picks of the draft. Outside of Larry Bird and Michael Jordan there are no teams in the past 25 years that won a championship where their featured player was a small forward or shooting guard. Every other championship team was led by a dominate big man (Duncan, Wallacex2, Shaq, Hakeem) or point guard (Issiah, Magic).

jdcrockett, you make a good point about how scouts feel about Marvin. The only problem is that a Center or a PG would have the greatest impact for this team.

When the right deal comes along, BK should make it and draft his PG to lead the team for the next decade.

Marvin Williams sounds like a star to be, but no one knows whether he is the next MJ. He would have to be that kind of player to outweigh the impact of a very good PG.

That's another thing...I think Marvin will be a 4...in the sense that is so strong around the basket at this early age...he will probably put on 5-10 more pounds rather quickly and his mid range game will help him at the 4 like it helps KG....Karl Malone...CWebb ....Timmmy D.

What scares me about Marvin is he only measures 6'7 1/4" without shoes so he is going to HAVE to grow at least another 2 inches to be a full-time PF. Otherwise he and JSmoove will be competing for playing time at SF. I'd still take him though and let the coaching staff figure that out. At this point we need to take the best player on the board so I'm cool with Marvin at #2.

I agree KB. Every team and their mama wants to move up to get Marvin. Marvin is argueably the prize of this entire draft and we have relatively untalented team (only three players of some potential - 1 only being a proven player). Chillz and Smoove have a long way to go.

I can see if 50% (at least 6 players) of our team was in place and we knew they were proven. I definately would move down and get a guard, but people we are not even remotely at the point right now. This will not be an overnight fix even if we drafted Deron or Paul. We still have to get much more talent.

BK HAS TO DRAFT MARVIN at this point.

The people on this forum who are saying pass on him will be the same ones complaining about the choice that BK made in the 2005 draft when Marvin is starting to make All-Star games and putting up double doubles everynight!! Mark my words those same people will be complaining.