• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Worse Hawks Deal Ever?

goingallout

Our record wouldn't have changed at all with or without him actually. There was no way any other bad team would have as bad a record as us.

Did you enjoy getting nothing for Antoine? Because I sure didn't. I don' like paying a guy $5+ million that can do some stuff and losing him for the same price of junk

-----

What I'm saying is, we should have tried to get more for him.

Quote:

Yea, lets win a few more games with Rasheed, let him walk and not have Josh Smith.

I'd rather do that, and get a guy like Iguodala, Al Jefferson, or even Luol Deng.

Josh is great, but how far has he taken us? How consistent is his jumpshot? Did he help us win 16 games?

If you have traded cars several times, one thing always

seems to remain the same.

Whatever you want is expensive, high priced, desireable.

Whatever you have to trade in is a piece of junk and not

worth half what you thought it ought to bring.

Same thing goes here. If the players we traded away were

so valueable, someone would have come along and offered

us a lot more for them - - The fact remains, it didn't

happen. Sure, the other teams got a real bargain!

Just like my old car I traded in. It's a great almost

new car to the next customer and a real bargain at

twice what they gave me for it.

Whether it's cars or players, we always feel that we got

robbed in the deal. Best we don't look back. Take what

we have from the deal and be happy. Besides, I really

like that "New" car or I wouldn't have done the deal.

tongue.gif

please. We would have done what we did every year. Come together when it's too late, win meaningless games, and slowly fade away from the top picks in the draft.

If we wouldn't have won any more games, what good would keeping him have done? We got a first rounder for him which is probably about as good as we could do

None of the deals you mentioned approaches some of Babcock's gems. We got Josh Smith for Rasheed. We get a mid round pick for Antoine. SAR had a huge contract. Those deals were *good* deals, in my opinion.

Here are the candidates for worst Hawks deal. Please feel free to vote, all:

1) Dominique Wilkins for Danny Manning

*This gets my vote b/c Nique was the face of the franchise and we had a number one seed in the East that year. I think we would've played for the championship if we hadn't made this deal. How can you top that???

2) Steve Smith for Isaiah Rider and Jim Jackson

*This trade is the one that turned us into the pits of the NBA. Maybe you can top the Nique deal.

3) Pau Gasol for SAR.

4) #8 draft choice and Kukoc for Glenn Robinson

5) 2 1st round choices, including a #8 overall for Lorenzen Wright.

#1 is the sentimental pick.

3 us pretty bad too, and 5 is down right horrible when you look at what happenned to those picks.

Even though it might not really be the worst, 5 pisses me off the most. My favorite BK characteristic is that he acquires future first rounders instead of trading them

dont forget we also gave up Brevin Knight and Lo Wright in addition to Gasol, to get Reef. Can you imagine how much better we would have been last year with Lo and Gasol in the post and BK running the team like he did Charlotte?

This is definitely for the old-timers and pre-Atlanta. The worse move the Hawks will ever make as I can't see us ever trading a Hall-of-Famer for 2 good players.

Sad part about it is that the trade wasn't made because team management under estimated Russell's skill and impact but because he was Black. That's also the reason that the team was eventually moved to ATL - St. Louis wouldn't support an all-Black team.

I think every city has it's own list of screw-ups. My favorite was Seattle hiring Jim McDaniels (the ABA MVP) to play with Spencer Haywood. McDaniels came to town to talk contracts and when they didn't agree - he offered to play in one game to show them what he could do (would never happen now). So he played in a Sonics game - scored 40+ points, grabbed 20 rebounds, and blocked some shots. - The owner then signed him to the FIRST million dollar a year contract. - - - After that McDaniels averaged 5points/4rebounds.

• Premium Member

Actually..

We were robbed of Dr. J. He was drafted by us, but would not be allowed to come to the Hawks because of the Va Squires of the ABA. I think they took us to court and won his rights. We had Dr. J. and David Thompson taken from us like that...

I think CBA Reject's list is about as good as it gets. The only bad trade in recent years was giving Nazr Mohammed away, but that is not a franchise crippling trade like the Nique, Gasol, Steve Smith, Glenn Robinson, or Lorenzen Wright trades were. Notice that a few of these trades had to be corrected by other trades.

Think of this we traded 2 #1 picks for Lorenzen Wright then traded Wright and a top 3 pick for SAR who was making $14 million/year. That means we essentially traded 3 #1 picks plus Lo Wright and Brevin Knight for SAR. No wonder we had a 13 win team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

3) Pau Gasol for SAR.

4) #8 draft choice and Kukoc for Glenn Robinson

I don't think either of these trades were as bad as you think...

First off, Pau for SAR. Say what you want about SAR, he was as advertised... A Fringe All star who will put up 20/10 every night. Like it or not, those type players are hard to find. Al can't do it, Walk didn't do it either.

2nd... Grob... Was brought into a bad situation with us and Philly.

If you get Grob, you need 2 things. #1 - a great PG. #2. A first option that demands the ball...

I think Grob is in his best situation in SA. ( And he got a ring).. He's there with Duncan.. A Pf who demands the ball on the inside and can kick it out. He had something similar in Milwaukee with Ray Ray.. Ray demanded the ball and attention and allowed Big Dog to work. Also with Vin Baker, it was the same way...

However, look at how bad our blueprint was...

1. We had a PG who couldn't run an offense. HE often deferred to Grob.

2. We had a Post player in Reef who couldn't pass out of the double team. Neither was there anybody ever moving and our PG couldn't do much to help because he didn't know how to hold the ball until Reef got his spot.

3. Our PG was our only shooter from outside.

That was a mess!

I hate to say if..

But if the NBA gods would have found favor on us, we could have had:

Andre Miller at the Point.

Wesley Persons at the 2.

and Kept Deke in the C.

Deke/Reef/Grob/Persons/Miller.

That's a team that wins all day... Because we would have had every element that we needed to win.

I hope Reef goes to Houston.

I hope Grob stays in San Anton.

I hope JT stays with Dallas...

Those are the best situations for all those guys!

I don't believe you have anything good to say about Glenn Robinson.

You're right about one thing, he's in a good place now in SA. Good for him because he doesn't have to play and can win championships.

In my mind Glenn Robinson was totally exposed when he came to Atlanta. In Seattle he had Ray Allen and Sam Casell to play with and got a lot of open looks. It became clear in Atlanta he had no way of creating his own shot. Glenn Robinson putting the ball on the floor was a nightmare, remember all of the turnovers?

You think the SAR trade was acceptable? Not a bad player, but think of it this way. Would you trade our #2 pick tomorrow night and two decent players for a $14 million dollar contract on a borderline all star?

If you think those were good trades you have to wonder how that team was a thirty win team year after year.