• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are the Hawks doing?

tmac13

It looks like last year all over..Free agent players are going to meet with teams , starting to talk about options, teams like the Suns are already getting guys to commit quickly just like last year with Nash..We, like always are extremely quiet, no word on any free agent visits, not even a glimpse of our summer league roster..I was hoping the hawks would be bold and lay some offers on the table to force the hand of other teams..I Would force Philly to make a decision on Dalembert, I would force Chicago to make a decision on Chandler..Hell, we have not even inked Marvin..Why this laid back approach?

As far as inking Marvin, the draft isn't even a week old so I'd hardly see a need to panic.

Isn't Chandler a RFA? If we make an offer and it is matched I believe that that money is tied up for a certain amount of time (I could be wrong, they might have changed the rules).

Quote:

We, like always are extremely quiet, no word on any free agent visits, not even a glimpse of our summer league roster..

we've apparently talked to curry, ray, and several other agents

we also have offered rmorris a place on the summer league roster...and we have said that diaw+rookies from last year + this year's draftees will be on the summer league team

so we already know that at least diaw/donta/ivey/smoove/chill/marvin/salim will be on the roster, plus rmorris has been invited

that's more than a glimpse, IMO

• Premium Member

There's one concern there.

Inking Marvin should have happened well before some of these other guys were inked. I mean Bogut got 4.2 million.. That pretty much tells us that Marvin is in the neighborhood of 4 million. It's really almost set in stone and one day, the draft spots will be set in stone...

there is no reason to ink marvin yet

if we have a productive off-season and use all of our cap, it may make the difference in getting that key fa or not...

we can go over the cap to sign marvin, as we own his rights, but we couldn't to sign, say, daly

so bk likes to wait to sign the draft pick...marvin is guaranteed and knows he'll get signed...no point in signing him until we get the FAs

Quote:

As far as inking Marvin, the draft isn't even a week old so I'd hardly see a need to panic.

Isn't Chandler a RFA? If we make an offer and it is matched I believe that that money is tied up for a certain amount of time (I could be wrong, they might have changed the rules).

It is tied up for a week now. It used to be for 2 weeks but they changed it as part of the new CBA. 1 week isn't too bad if you know what you're doing.

• Premium Member

I would think you would want to ink Marvin first so you know how much you have to work with...

We can't not ink him..

I suppose the only reason to not ink him by say This fri is that he's trade bait.

Quote:

I suppose the only reason to not ink him by say This fri is that he's trade bait.

did u not even read my reason?

if we sign him now, we have 4mil less cap space...if we have 28 right now, we'll have 24 then...

if we instead wait, we can sign 28mil worth of fas and then still sign marvin, for 32mil total signings

so if we get a fa at 5mil, one at 9mil and one at 6mil, that would be 20mil..we'd only have 4mil left if we already signed marvin, but 8mil, enough for a good fa, if we wait

Quote:

Nicholasp27,

You are right, it's an excellent reason not to be in a rush. I hope that means we have some FA's lined up.

Wade

I wouldn't count on it. The bottom line is that BK has some reasons to wait, and no reason to hurry. Marvin is going to get signed. It's like when the team with the top pick refuses to announce who they're taking. They wouldn't lose much by doing so, but they have nothing to gain by doing it, so they wait till the last minute. This is just BK being BK