• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Future of Josh Smith!!!!?????

LastDon

Josh Smith has an opportunity to become one of the future stars of the NBA when you take into consideration that guys like Jermaine O'neal,Al Harrington, and Rashad Lewis were all guys who entered the league very raw offensively.

However, I think that a decision has to be made in the early stages of his development about what positon he is going to play in the league. If the hawks aren't quick in recognizing where his skills are best suited for we could be looking at another Al Harrington, a guy who lacks a true position.

If we want Josh Smith to blossom into the player that many of us believe he can be we must rid ourselves of the log jam that we have created at the 3/4 spot. The hawks must find away to rid themselves of Al Harrington for a solid point guard like White Chocalate or maybe for an young underachieving big like Kwame Brown or Eddy Curry.

Once Al is traded away the 4 spot should be filled by Josh Smith. Smooth has the wingspan and athletism to make up for his lack of height for the position. I think that with a full season under his belt at the 4 that he could develop into the next Larry Johnson before the back injury or maybe a shorter version of Shawn Kemp in his prime.

Josh's future is at the 4 spot and we should start developing him as a 4 immediately!!!!!!!!!

Josh is still in the very early stages of his development and his game needs to get better all around. We also don't know if he's through growing. KG played a lot of SF and PF as his game developed and he has turned out just fine. Rashard Lewis and Big Al did the same thing. We have plenty of time for Josh to just develop his game. At some point, it will become apparent whether he belongs at SF or PF.

Josh Smith has enforcer type skills and attitude. I see him as a definite PF. Marvin has more athletic skills with the ball and should be our SF. Trading Harrington for a Center would be the move to make. Magloire is the most likely candidate...he is unhappy in NO.

Signing Joe Johnson would be a really nice addition. His handling skills would mesh really well with Salim. I see Childress as a player that can be worked into the rotation of SF and SG.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Playing him at PF is a huge mistake. He is a wing, and will soon be a Top 20 NBA player. As will Marvin Williams be, as a wing. Both are wings. Neither are posts.

What defines a "wing" in your estimation?

All of Josh's skills and gifts (athleticism, shot blocking, strength, height, rebounding) translate BETTER at the PF spot.

The exact opposite could be said about Marvin.

Quote:

Quote:

Playing him at PF is a huge mistake. He is a wing, and will soon be a Top 20 NBA player. As will Marvin Williams be, as a wing. Both are wings. Neither are posts.

What defines a "wing" in your estimation?

All of Josh's skills and gifts (athleticism, shot blocking, strength, height, rebounding) translate BETTER at the PF spot.

The exact opposite could be said about Marvin.

You've never heard of a SF who is athletic, strong, long, can board, and is a good shot blocker? Just because he has the ABILITY to play PF, doesn't mean you put him there. He could be a PF, but he could be an even better SF.

Josh is NINETEEN years old! Who knows what his best position will eventually be? He is still in the infancy of his basketball development. He might continue to develop his handle and jumper and become a terrific SF OR he might grow a little, develop his low post game and become a terrific PF. I think his final best position will depend upon what part of his game develops the most naturally. I think he will always be able to play both SF and PF because of his tremendous athleticism.

When you talk about guys like KG and Dirk, most see them as PFs but either of them would be a top 5 SFs in the game. When you talk about T Mac and Vince Carter, most see them as SFs but either of them would be top 5 SGs in the game. When you talk about Tim Duncan, Jermaine O'Neal and Amare Stoudamire, most consider them PFs but any of them would be top 5 Centers in the game.

The bottom line is that it really doesn't matter what position Josh starts at for us, he is likely going to be effective at either SF or PF and which position he plays the most will depend primarily on his development but will also depend upon team needs.

I really think getting Big Eddy will make us a lot better and sooner rather than later. I think his presence would more quickly translate to wins than the presence of Chandler, Dalembert or Brown.

Chillz, Marvin, Smoove and Diaw are all very good rebounders and I think they will pick up any rebounding slack that might exist with Curry. I really think that Woody could get him to be more aggressive on D, certainly to the point that he would not be a liability.

"Chillz, Marvin, Smoove and Diaw are all very good rebounders and I think they will pick up any rebounding slack that might exist with Curry."

Wow - if a body THAT big can't rebound, why would we want him? Josh, Marvin, Josh, and Salim can score, too. So don't we really want defence and rebounding. If he can't do THAT, we should use Al and Collier. (OR sign someone else.)

low post. I don't think any of those guys are capable of putiing up 20 ppg next year but I think Curry is. Time will tell how those guys develop over the next few seasons but Curry can score in bunches now. As for Al and Collier, neither of those guys can score in the low post ANYWHERE NEAR as well as Curry and while Curry's D needs to improve, he certainly won't be as bad as Collier without doing ANYTHING. Comparing Collier to Curry is like comparing Dalembert to a young Dikembe. There is NO comparison.

I posted this the other day as part of a larger post and got the number of days wrong. It was a 10 day sampling.

In 29.8 minutes per game over his last 10 games before the heart trouble. Yes fellas, in only 29.8 minutes per game, not the 35 he'd get from us.

19.8 points

6.1 rebounds

1.1 block

2.0 TO

3.5 fouls

42/56 Free throws for 75%

78/131 FG Attempts for 59.54 %

Tell me what other center option we have that can put up 20/6 and a block a game with reasonable turnovers and fouls, shoot 60% from the floor and shoot 75% from the free throw line and in only 29.8 minutes a game.

In my opinion, this should end the discussion.

Quote:

I really think getting Big Eddy will make us a lot better and sooner rather than later. I think his presence would more quickly translate to wins than the presence of Chandler, Dalembert or Brown.

Chillz, Marvin, Smoove and Diaw are all very good rebounders and I think they will pick up any rebounding slack that might exist with Curry. I really think that Woody could get him to be more aggressive on D, certainly to the point that he would not be a liability.

Strong Low Post?

Shaq=25PPG yes

DUncan=23PPG Yes

Garnett=24PPG Yes

Amare=26PPG Yes

Curry=16PPG NO

Quote:

I posted this the other day as part of a larger post and got the number of days wrong. It was a 10 day sampling.

In 29.8 minutes per game over his last 10 games before the heart trouble. Yes fellas, in only 29.8 minutes per game, not the 35 he'd get from us.

19.8 points

6.1 rebounds

1.1 block

2.0 TO

3.5 fouls

42/56 Free throws for 75%

78/131 FG Attempts for 59.54 %

Tell me what other center option we have that can put up 20/6 and a block a game with reasonable turnovers and fouls, shoot 60% from the floor and shoot 75% from the free throw line and in only 29.8 minutes a game.

In my opinion, this should end the discussion.

10 game periods don't mean jack.

Center and PF respectively to EVER play the game and both Garnett and Amare are destined to be HOF players. No one here is even faintly suggesting that Curry is on par with any of those guys but he is still a very good low post scorer. Let me know when one of those guys becomes available and I'll be sure to let BK know that he should go after him.

Quote:

Center and PF respectively to EVER play the game and both Garnett and Amare are destined to be HOF players. No one here is even faintly suggesting that Curry is on par with any of those guys but he is still a very good low post scorer. Let me know when one of those guys becomes available and I'll be sure to let BK know that he should go after him.

Some have made the guy out to be so great in the

post that it takes away all the things he doesn't

do. That simply isn't the case. I feel 16PPG is

not worth no rebounding and little defense. I'd

rather just get somebody there that can grab some

rebounds, block shots and play good defense and

spend the money elsewhere.

The Alan Houston of centers isn't going to win you

a title. He might be worth it at a decent price, but

not the max or anywhere close to it.