• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

On the way home from work...

Watchman

I turned over to 680 the Fan hoping for an update. I caught the tail end of a report that someone at the station was making, and they said that the owner's group factions were filing suit against one another.

Anyone heard anything about that?

Seems like in all likely hood that would kill the

deal. How can anybody possibly be signed when this

is going on in the ownership. It's partly the other

owners fault aswell. You would think they would

have a better idea of some of Steve intentions.

Honestly, can't his motives be alittle questionable

with him being a big Celtic fan and being such a

businessman? He seemed strange from the start.

• Admin

The bitter battle within the Atlanta Hawks' ownership group escalated Thursday when one of the owners took his partners to court and got a restraining order against them.

The order, sought by Steve Belkin in a Boston court, temporarily prohibits the majority of the Hawks' owners from removing him as the team's NBA governor — a position Belkin has used this week to block a trade his partners want to make with the Phoenix Suns for guard Joe Johnson.

Thursday's legal salvo is the latest setback for a troubled franchise that has struggled for years to win games, fans and credibility.

The Boston-based Belkin filed the lawsuit against his partners after they called a meeting for Friday to vote on removing him as the Hawks' governor.

One of Belkin's partners, Atlanta businessman Michael Gearon Jr., responded to the court action: "We are aware of the lawsuit filed by Steve Belkin in Boston. We will not allow that to deter us from building a winning team in Atlanta."

In an e-mail to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Belkin wrote: "Some of my fellow co-owners took action to prevent me from doing what I believe is in the best interests of the franchise, consistent with my role as NBA governor. There was no option but to seek legal protection."

It's hardly the first clash between Belkin and his partners in the nine-man group that bought the Hawks, Thrashers and Philips Arena operating rights from Time Warner last year. At the time, Belkin and the others professed confidence that the far-flung group — which would work well together.

But barely a year later, in late April, Belkin and two of the other principal owners — Gearon and the Washington-based Bruce Levenson — were summoned to New York for a meeting with NBA commissioner David Stern and a league committee to discuss discord within the partnership.

At the time, Belkin said the league's message was: "Hey, you guys, work it out."

Thursday, the league refused to address the worsened situation.

"All we're going to say is, this is an internal team matter," NBA spokesman Brian McIntyre said. "Due to the pending litigation, we decline comment."

Dominique Wilkins, former Hawks star and current team vice president, did comment: "This is real damaging. This can't work if everybody is pulling in different directions."

At the center of the dispute is a proposed trade that would send guard Boris Diaw and two future first-round draft picks from the Hawks to Phoenix for Johnson, who would sign a five-year, $70 million contract to play for Atlanta. The trade is favored by the Hawks' management and all of the owners except Belkin.

Belkin's lawsuit, which seeks a permanent injunction prohibiting his removal as governor, contends that his partners "seek to oust [him] . . . merely because they disagree with [him] over the day-to-day management of the Atlanta Hawks, because Belkin has been unwilling, based on prudent business considerations" to approve the Johnson trade.

A hearing is scheduled for 11 a.m. Tuesday in Suffolk County Superior Court in Boston. The court ordered that "in the meantime" the defendants "desist and refrain" from removing Belkin as governor.

Belkin has declined to be interviewed this week about the situation, but in an e-mail to the Journal-Constitution on Thursday, he said he wants Johnson on the team but is opposed to the proposed deal because he believes the Hawks would be giving up too much in return.

"As NBA governor . . . I have the responsibility to manage the business and affairs of the team and to look out for the best interests of the team," Belkin wrote. "In that capacity, I am charged with authorizing any player signing or trade. Like my fellow co-owners, I have supported signing Joe Johnson for the Hawks under contract terms proposed by general manager Billy Knight.

"However, I cannot support, in my capacity as NBA governor, a sign-and-trade that involves two first-round draft picks and a quality player, which I believe would be giving up too much of our future. I remain hopeful that Joe Johnson will be wearing a Hawks uniform next year, and that a deal can be completed in a manner that allows us to build around Joe in the future."

Said Gearon: "My other partners and I will continue to commit our financial resources, as evidenced [this week] by the signing of the biggest free agent in the history of the Thrashers, Bobby Holik."

Gearon expressed hope that a trade for Johnson still might get done. Belkin's e-mail seems to suggest he'd be open to a variation of the proposed trade - perhaps one that gives up fewer first-round draft picks.

Phoenix CEO Jerry Colangelo told reporters in Phoenix on Thursday the Suns would only agree to the current deal with the Hawks.

Under an agreement struck between Belkin and his partners when their Hawks-Thrashers purchase was consummated last year, he was given a five-year term as the team's NBA governor. The agreement allows for his removal "only on two narrow and explicit grounds," according to the lawsuit filed Thursday. Those grounds are identified as casting a vote at an NBA Board of Governors meeting that does not reflect the wishes of a majority of the Hawks' owners, or taking any action that legally binds the team against the wishes of a majority of the owners.

Belkin's lawsuit contends that his position on the Johnson trade does not meet either of those grounds for removal as governor.

Belkin holds a 30 percent stake in the ownership group, while the Washington-based partners — principally Levenson and Ed Peskowitz — own 40 percent and the Atlanta-based partners - led by Gearon and Rutherford Seydel — own 30 percent.

Belkin doesn't make sense trying to stop this trade.Someone needs to tell him " look fool if we don't give the 2 no1's and diaw we don't get johnson" comprende? Do you know Belkin this would be the first quality star to sign with the hawks in years.Also the organization is at the bottom of the barrel and this is the kind of thing that will set back the franchise having hawk fans and the NBA in general wondering why can't they get there act together.Sounds to me belkin wants to be the rebel of the group. Whether we sign johnson or not clearnly belkin is not on the same page as the rest of the partners and I hope is relieved of his top dog status.

If I were Billy Knight, I would resign. As long as this @sshole is around, he has no power. What a tool. He knows about the deal, allows it to be finalized, then makes this franchise even more of a laughingstock.

From the sound of things, JJ won't be playing here in Atlanta, and we can fuggetabout any FAs as long as j@ck@ss is on board.

Total BS....from Babcock.....to the McDavid thing .....now this....and we wonder why nobody wants to play here.

We really might as well have JJ sign the offer sheet....see if it is really worth it to the Suns to match.

Really the only option.

...I doubt the Suns will wait around for that fkin punk btch to decide what is too much for what....I guess we will have to go sign all the other top free agents beating down our door.

What really chaps my ass is you know Belkin will tie this thing up in court as long as possible to keep the deal from happening. The rest of the league is laughing at us... again.

BTW, we hadn't made the national media yet, but I bet we will now.

Hoo-Frickin-Ray - More negative news about the Hawks.

• Admin

this could very well be the thing that gets him out of here completely. Because legally, you'd think that since they have a contract taht says if 2 of 3 principles agree, then the deal is done. Belkin tried to supercede that by not signing off on it. He broke the contract. I think in court he would lose with little arguement.

Why didn't this C--ksucker Tell Bk and the partners he didn't like the trade before it was agreed too? We are going to screw around and lose JJ...The Suns management will just match and trade him for expiring contracts and draft choices later in the season..What a damn fiasco.

You're right.

Even though, we might agree, "We're giving up too much,"

the damage which is being done to the Hawks, in the long

run, will cost a lot more than any immediate savings

that happens because of this.

Oh well, we still hope that things work out. Right now,

it doesn't look too good, does it.

blush.gif

If I were Joe Johnson right now I'd be at the point of just saying the hell with it and resigning with Phoenix. This is just ridiculous, and it's pretty insulting to him to leave him waiting around like that. Just an absolutely bullshit way for a franchise to operate....