• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Med school and other occupations

Jdawgflow

• Premium Member

I am just curious, but it seems like a large percentage of members on this board are in/preparing for/completed with medical school or some other professional career. Is this assumption correct or am I way off base? My reasoning for this is based on the comments by members here and also the quality of the content on this site.

Another reason I ask this is because I am in the process of attempting early admission for medical school and I was curious who all here was going/applying to any schools in GA, AL, or TN.

Well, here's what I know, and it's limited, about Mercer (which is funny, cause I grew up not far from there, my dad works very nearby there).

I don't know about the teaching. I know that they prefer/focus their training on family practice/gp stuff more so than academic/bigger schools.

A few years back (probably eight or so now), they had to really scramble to fill their enrollment lists because they set their sights (MCAT scores etc) too high, and too many people were using them as a 'backup.' Since then, or at least when I was applying a few years back, they tended to take more 'middle/lower' mcat people/mact's didnt' matter nearly so much as an interest in general or family practice.

Don't know about the reputation. It's in a nice part of town, right on the perimeter.

that's about all I know!

• Premium Member

Thanks a lot Weez, I appreciate the info. My secondary application came in today and I am hoping that completing it goes without much problem. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have an interview for early admission which would definately make my senior year of school less stressful.

I'm a 2nd year at Duke. I'm about 18 months removed from sending out all those applications. Let me know if you want some advice from a person who was interested in the research opportunities in medicine.

If you're interested in doing research in med school, you should look at Duke (they have the whole 3rd year set aside for research) or one of the many schools that has a 5th year research option OR an MD/PhD program at one of the many institutions that offers that.

I always forget ~

Duke interns...short coat or white pants (it's vice versa with Hopkins, just can't remember which is which).

I'm not applying there for residency, but also out of curiousity...does this apply to 1st year path residents who 'technically' aren't interns?

ugh. you like Duke medical?

I'm a second year medical student as well, and I'm probably the only one here that goes to an Osteopathic school.

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine has opened up a campus in Atlanta, or just north of Atlanta. This year is its first year in existance, so I don't know much about it.

I attend Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine in Pikeville, KY. If you have any questions about D.O. programs, feel free to ask.