New Signings

Safetyboi

Finally some new signings to report by the ajc.com

Hawks add three to roster

Sign Tyronn Lue, Salim Stoudamire and John Edwards

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/29/05

The Hawks finally added three more players to the roster Monday with the re-signing of veteran point guard Tyronn Lue and the signing of rookie guard Salim Stoudamire and free agent center John Edwards.

Lue, who started 46 games for the Hawks last season, will serve as the primary backup to recently signed free agent Joe Johnson. Terms of a three-year deal were not disclosed.

"The Hawks were very diligent about the process and we're very appreciative of how things finished," Lue's New York-based agent Andy Miller said. "There was a lot of time between the first conversation and getting a deal done. But in the end, they followed through on everything we discussed at the start of the process."

The 6-foot-1 Stoudamire served notice that he was ready for the challenge with a 39-point outburst in his final summer league game last month in Utah.

He signed a three-year deal that will pay him $675,000 in the first year, which is well above the rookie minimum of $400,000.

Edwards, a 7-footer who spent his rookie season in Indiana, gives the Hawks another big body to add to a frontcourt rotation remains a work in progress. He signed a two-year deal worth a little over $2 million.

• Admin

I am not impressed with the Edwards signing but I am glad we finally got Lue on the roster. I feel much more confident with our Point Guard situation. I still think we need a center. Zaza was a great signing but as a backup for the C/PF positions. We need someone who can start. If not someone who will make a worthy platoon with Zaza and Collier at the C.

I agree 100%. Great to have Lue and Stoudamire team. I feel like we've transitionned from a couple of good young prospects to a bad NBA team, which is a big step up for us. Now we only have one glaring hole, and it isn't quite as glaring with big daddy zaza in the house grin.gif

On a side note, the Spurs have signed ... Nick van Exel! I know they needed a backup PG, but it seems like an odd fit. He is everything the Spurs aren't. I suppose he can come in and give them a scoring spark off the bench when they get into one of their occasional playoff droughts.

Guest Walter

Teams have since released or bought out several big players, others remain available, and rather than try out our big man in training camp we've all but eliminated competition.

Jared Homan, Calvin Booth, I think we also missed out on Dwayne Jones from St Joe's who signed with Minny. The 6'11" guy averaged 10+ PPG, 11.6 RPG in the Atlantic 10, and 3 BPG as a Jr. I just don't get the signing. We needed legitimate defense and rebounding in the post and Edwards doesn't bring that. He's just big and talentless. One doesn't discourage competition or not wait until teams make cuts to lock up a player of Edward's caliber. Shame.

W

• Admin

There is no reason we can't send him to the NBADL team. I think we should grab Booth while he is available. He will bring rebounding, blocks and toughness to back up Zaza if Zaza has to start.

That would be a nice platoon at Center Zaza/Booth/Collier.

i dont see how you are so 100% certain that Edwards would still be available by training camp time?

could be he had more than one offer

still not sure how we amassed all this talent, and yet the Hawks scouting team and BK have SO TOTALLY dropped the ball with this signing

the dude has to have done something to get 2 million bucks wink.gif

According to Inside hoops/ and this article other teams were interested:

"One major reason former Kent State star center John Edwards was able to land a sweet free-agent deal with the Atlanta Hawks, after spending last season with Indiana as an undrafted rookie:

" Edwards dominated Andrew Bogut, the No.1 pick in the June draft, during a Summer League game, which led several impressed NBA teams to start pursuing him. Bogut became so frustrated at being clowned by Edwards that he started a fight with him. Edwards signed a two-year, $2 million-plus deal with the Hawks." Cleveland Plain Dealer

But I do agree we should bring in another big for competion sake.We have the space and it will only make us deeper.

• Moderators

A nice summer game against Bogut is nice but not worthy of too much, IMO. What I am most impressed with is that Edwards took up a roster spot on a very talented Pacers team. Of course, he didn't exactly dominate once their bench got real short. In a best case scenario, that can be attributed to the relatively short time he has been playing the game.

Well Foster and Harrison were healthy and not suspended most of the year weren't they? that could explain some of his lack of opportunity...he must have shown something else in the SL besides that one game against Bogut...I'm sure every game he played in was scouted by our staff.

I don't understand BK's fascination with John Edwards.As Walter mentioned I would have gone after Dwayne jones or Jared Holman.At least sign a guy who has a legit chance in the league even though a prospect.A center who can block shots and score is all we really need but other teams seem to get them not the hawks.

I see alot of folks jumping on the Zaza bandwagon very early. While I am trying to be optimistic about Zaza and Edwards I am not so certain Zaza is an upgrade over Collier or Edwards (which is low praise indeed). My lasting memory so far of Zaza is watching him last year get dunked on repeatedly by JSmoove. While Collier has already hit his low "potential" ceiling lets hope Zaza and Edwards have a much higher "potential" ceiling that neither have come close to yet. I am afraid that many posters are soo hungry for a solid center that they are looking at the Zaza signing with rose colored glasses.

• Premium Member

Quote:

fascination? he simply signed the dude....

Logic will not be tolerated here. This is your final warning to desist.

Heretofore, you are expected to exaggerate, whine, and completely warp the reality of the Hawks' roster situation.

Quote:

I see alot of folks jumping on the Zaza bandwagon very early. While I am trying to be optimistic about Zaza and Edwards I am not so certain Zaza is an upgrade over Collier or Edwards (which is low praise indeed). My lasting memory so far of Zaza is watching him last year get dunked on repeatedly by JSmoove. While Collier has already hit his low "potential" ceiling lets hope Zaza and Edwards have a much higher "potential" ceiling that neither have come close to yet. I am afraid that many posters are soo hungry for a solid center that they are looking at the Zaza signing with rose colored glasses.

Saying Zaza is an upgrade over Collier isn't really accurate. They might both be centers, but totally two different games. Collier is more of a perimeter threat. He can draw the center away from the basket, while Zaza will be more likely setting screens down low. So that guards can drive by, shedding their defenders with his screens.

Here is a glimpse at comparisons, when these two met head to head last year:

Collier will turn 28 in September.

Zaza is 21, and his b/d is in Feb.

March 8th 2005......Collier Did Not Play (coach's decision)

Zaza had 5 rebounds and 1 block shot in 12 minutes

February 12th 2005.....Collier had 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block shot, and 6 points

Zaza had 8 rebounds (led all Bucks), 1 assist, 3 steals, 3 blocks, and 11 points.

January 11th 2005.......Collier had 6 rebounds, and 12 points.

Zaza had 8 rebounds (led all bucks), and 8 points.

I just think Zaza is more like the typical NBA Center. He can be much more effective around the paint than Collier. So call me wearing rose colored glasses, but I think for what we are lacking at center, he is a rosey look, comparing him to a Jason Collier.