• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We Never Talk about Donta Smith Why?

Highpozt

Is he that bad? or is he off the radar screen even for Hawks fans? or is it because he is a JUCO and no one knows anything about him? He is second on the Hawks depth chart as PF and had a pretty good showing against the Heat the other night. I don't even hear the coaches mention him in team analysis. However he is still on the team and looks like a 2nd team contributor. The question is will we get anything from him? --- man you talk about gravy ---- I expect Marvin and Salim to give us some good games this year, but if Royal Ivey and Donta even turn out to be decent contributors it would really pay dividends.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I don't know who you're talking about but Donta is certainly not a PF. And he's not 2nd on our depth chart in anything. It was certain that he was going to the NBDL until he had the great game against Miami. It is his first good/great game since he's been here. That's why no one talks about him. He's a 12th man type for now. Same reason no one really talks about Ivey either, and he's better than Donta.

My bigger issue is not the depth chart, but what kind of talent does this cat have(Donta)as either a SG, SF or PF --- because you never hear whether he is progressing or not, ditto with Royal Ivey --- Nevertheless both look like part of a the Hawks rotation. The Depth Chart (link below) I am sure is taken loosely or does the NBA.com know so little about him as I mentioned that they just plugged him in anywhere --- which kind of supports my question who is he from a basketball angle?

http://www.nba.com/fantasy/features/depth_charts.html

Actually Donta is 2nd on the depth chart. It's at SF, right behind Harrington. Williams and Smoove are being groomed at the PF.

The Hawks are actively trying to trade him right now. They are taking the Joe Johnson Trade approach. A guy with some upside, and future draft picks for Maglore or Nene.

I'm guessing Maglore is a Hawk before the tip in Southern California Wednesday. I think Donta will be involved. Wouldn't be surprised if Anderson, and draft picks accompany the trade.

Then the Hawks will move Marv to SF (backup), Batista backs up the PF, and Maglore and Zaza are the centers.

• Premium Member

Let's be honest.

We don't want to think of any of our Sfs as being capable or good because we don't want to think that MW was a wasted pick...

That's the truth...

We would rather talk about Donta as being a NBADL player or something, but Donta is not bad... this he showed the other night.

• Moderators

Wow. Nice job bringing why Donta is not considered good to MW being a bad pick. I love the creativity.

My guess is either Donta has shown no consistency at all in the last year in practice, or Woodson is a bad coach for ignoring his obvious potential. Right now I choose to believe the former. He had some games last year where he looked ok, but he had some where he looked awful.

why is EVERYTHING about marvin?

we don't even know where marvin will end up playing!

and donta is a sg as well

donta was not talked about much last year either, even tho we *gasp* didn't have marvin then...

we don't not talk about donta because of mw...everything is not about mw...get over it

i like donta and advocated him going to nbdl this year to get more experience because i'm not sure he'll get 10+mpg this year on the hawks and i think he needs that before he can break out...i fully believe he could be a good-great backup for us in the future

and we don't have a logjam

jj/ivey/cenk

chill/salim

marvin/donta

smoove/batman

zaza/andersen

if al stays:

jj/ivey/cenk

chill/salim

al/marvin/donta

smoove/marvin/batman

zaza/andersen

if none of al/marvin/smoove are interested in being 6th man for 30mpg in 3 years, then we'll have to trade one of them eventually...but for now, we don't have a logjam, only a POTENTIAL logjam

• Premium Member

Quote:

Actually Donta is 2nd on the depth chart. It's at SF, right behind Harrington. Williams and Smoove are being groomed at the PF.

The Hawks are actively trying to trade him right now. They are taking the Joe Johnson Trade approach. A guy with some upside, and future draft picks for Maglore or Nene.

I'm guessing Maglore is a Hawk before the tip in Southern California Wednesday. I think Donta will be involved. Wouldn't be surprised if Anderson, and draft picks accompany the trade.

Then the Hawks will move Marv to SF (backup), Batista backs up the PF, and Maglore and Zaza are the centers.

Is this a joke or what??? I have heard nothing of a Donta/Anderson/Draft picks trade...although I would welcome it!!!

It's because he is still a year or two away from being a key member in the rotation.

There is no doubting that he has a ton of ability. Billy Knight knew this when he drafted him. Donta is a long athlete that has terrific ball handling ability and athleticism. What he needs to work on is his perimeter shooting.

Donta is the one player that would probably benefit the most by playing on the NBDL affiliate this year. I see him as a guy who can contribute as a one, two, and a three in the long run.

• Premium Member

Please MacDaddy..

Once we started to talk about acquiring Marvin, the Marvin Lovers stopped all talk about the usefulness of BOTH Donta and Josh Smith. Notice, the talk of Josh Smith has been changed from being the face of the Hawks to being...2nd string Sf or PF or something. Notice that the talk of Al has been changed from being an integral part of our team to being traded for a first rounder or traded for some big man from part unknown, weight unknown as long as when you see him you say, "he's big"..

Why is it that the WHOLE League recognizes our Logjam ("the best 6'9 team in the game") and we look at it as being " versatility"! Are we that damn stupid? Marvin was a wasted pick. We had many guys who fulfilled the same role in the developing process. Our need was C and PG... And Marvin is doing nothing to prove BK right!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Once we started to talk about acquiring Marvin, the Marvin Lovers stopped all talk about the usefulness of BOTH Donta and Josh Smith. Notice, the talk of Josh Smith has been changed from being the face of the Hawks to being...2nd string Sf or PF or something. Notice that the talk of Al has been changed from being an integral part of our team to being traded for a first rounder or traded for some big man from part unknown, weight unknown as long as when you see him you say, "he's big"..

Simply untrue.

There have been those touting Smith as a PF long before the draft based on his style of play, and Al has had his detractors since mid-season of last year when some claimed that he should be traded instead of Antoine.

because people automatically assume jj and chill are sfs as well

jj is a point guard, and a top 10 one at that

chill is a shooting guard

smoove is a power forward

al/marvin are 3/4

we have 1 starting point, 1 starting sg, 3 starting forwards, 1 starting center...so we have exactly ONE too many starting caliber players, and one of them is a ROOKIE, so we have time till that's even an issue

I disagree, had we taken D Williams or C Paul then we probably wouldn't have traded for J.J. I like our chances alot better with J.J. and Marvin coming off the bench than I do with Paul or Williams starting and J.J. in Phoenix or somewhere else. I don't understand your obsession with Marvin. He was the second pick in the draft, in another thread you stated that you thought Bogut was a bust. Why draft a #3-5 talent with the #2 pick? Williams will fit in here somewhere, if Al is traded then he will start. Most games I watched this guy in last year he looked good especially the Ga Tech game.

• Premium Member

Quote:

ecause people automatically assume jj and chill are sfs as well

jj is a point guard, and a top 10 one at that

chill is a shooting guard

smoove is a power forward

al/marvin are 3/4

If we traded JC for Tony Parker, what would we do with JJ and Parker? Would either sit on the bench? Would both still be PGs?

If Orlando traded us Dwight Howard for Marvin and Al... Would Donta be our Sf and Smoove be our BU PF?

You know that's a really good question. If We could trade Marvin/Al for Howard and let's say Nelson...

Where do you put everybody? Give me your lineup then Nick. Who is coming off the bench?

tell me do you stand by what you have been saying or do you admit that what you have been saying is based on the pieces we have and nothing more?

The way I see it, it's placing the Round ball into the square hole because you don't have any round holes or square blocks... But what happens when you get the round Holes and the square blocks? Does the ball become a ball again?