• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is JT a FA This Off-Season?

If he is I would love to bring him back, I think he would fit in well with what BK is trying to build. Would he want to come back? I think it depends on who we draft and if we commit to re-signing Al Harrington.

At this point, it looks like we are top 5 pick bound once again mad.gif but the only plus of that is Tiago Splitter staring us right in the face laugh.gif which as you see I am happy with. I want us to win as much as possible, but I just dont see us getting less than a top 5 pick.

I think re-signing Al is key. Him, JJ, and Smoove are what we gotta build around. I would give him a 5 year deal for sure. But Al...PLEASE PASS OUT OF THE POST ONCE IN A WHILE!!!!

JT

JJ

JSmoove

Al

T-Split

6. Marvin Williams

7. Zaza Pachulia

8. Josh Childress

9. Tyronn Lue

10.Salim Stoudamire

That's a playoff team....can a guy dream?

• Premium Member

Quote:

i love jt; he was my favorite hawk before he was sent off. i would love to have him back.

I feel the same way. Unfortunately, not many on this board share our opinion. JT was extremely talented and easily the Hawk's best draft pick over the last few years. He had the tools to become a top 5 PG in this league, but the lack of stability as far as coaches and teamates pretty much stunted his development. I still like his game and think that he would be a great fit in the backcourt alongside JJ.

It is a shame that for 3 years we searched for the perfect 2 guard to bring out the best in JT.

We were looking for a 2 guard who could play defense, has size, and has better than average ball handling and passing ability. Joe Johnson has all of the above and is a terrific scorer.

Isn't it ironic we have the piece we were looking for, it just came 2 years too late.

I totally aggree that JT would be a great compliment to our current squad.

To bad he is 29 next year. His best asset (speed) should diminish soon. I would be hesitant on a 4 to 5 year contract for a 29 year old who relies on speed.

while I agree that JT would be a pretty damn good complement to JJ, let's not get carried away. I don't think he is better than what Marvin will become, and he did not have the tools to be a top 5 PG. He certainly had all the physical tools, but he did not have the mental tools. He has no court vision and poor decision making. I mean he certainly didn't have access to the NBA's finest coaches, but when you haven't adressed that and you're pushing 30, you've got a personal problem. He just doesn't have the mind of a PG, and that's a big part of being one.

That being said, I loved his attitude while he was here although I didn't like him badmouthing us after his departure. I wanted him gone as much as anyone because he prevented us from getting a true PG. If I had known that we would not be getting a true PG, he might as well have stayed... Hopefully we'll get one this coming offseason (or sooner)

• Premium Member

I heard the guys talking about JT last night. Mainly about him not playing defense and fitting in so well in Dallas. I think that's probably not the way we should go. I think we need more of a defensive player who can run the offense.

I say we build our template around Lue, JJ, Sf, Al, Zaza and then we find that PG in the draft and or Off-season.

Quote:

Quote:

i love jt; he was my favorite hawk before he was sent off. i would love to have him back.

I feel the same way. Unfortunately, not many on this board share our opinion. JT was extremely talented and easily the Hawk's best draft pick over the last few years. He had the tools to become a top 5 PG in this league, but the lack of stability as far as coaches and teamates pretty much stunted his development. I still like his game and think that he would be a great fit in the backcourt alongside JJ.

Lack of stability? More like he lacked point guard skills. Plus he was a complete clown in his comments after he was shipped out. [censored] him in the [censored] goat ass for all I [censored] care.

• Premium Member

Quote:

while I agree that JT would be a pretty damn good complement to JJ, let's not get carried away. I don't think he is better than what Marvin will become, and he did not have the tools to be a top 5 PG. He certainly had all the physical tools, but he did not have the mental tools. He has no court vision and poor decision making. I mean he certainly didn't have access to the NBA's finest coaches, but when you haven't adressed that and you're pushing 30, you've got a personal problem. He just doesn't have the mind of a PG, and that's a big part of being one.

That being said, I loved his attitude while he was here although I didn't like him badmouthing us after his departure. I wanted him gone as much as anyone because he prevented us from getting a true PG. If I had known that we would not be getting a true PG, he might as well have stayed... Hopefully we'll get one this coming offseason (or sooner)

I don't think that is entirely true. I watched this guy torch Baron Davis in a Pac-10 game the season before he got drafted. It's kind of hard for me to believe that he couldn't have been a lot better than what he is now under different circumstances. JT seemed to be on the right path under Lenny Wilkens' guidance. After Lenny was fired, JT was asked to be the primary scorer on a very bad team and responded by doubling his ppg average. However, his assist total did not improve much at all.I feel that if he had better coaching/mentoring during his earlier years in the league, he could have been something special. Don't get me wrong, I never believed that JT would be a pure PG but that he would have been a high scoring PG with better playmaking skills than what he has now. As far as him bad mouthing the Hawks, I think I've read worse criticsm of this team and organization as a whole on this board.

but when you say scorching Davis, I'm assuming you mostly meaen outscoring him. I agree that he is a fantastic 1-on-1 shooter with amazing footspeed and a great handle. I just don't think he has it in him to be a good distributor. Maybe he could have been groomed into being adequate instead of being bad. But most people either have court vision / distributing skills by the time they get to the league, or they never really will.

I suppose we'll never know what he would have become under better coaching