• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A few thoughts on Gay,Aldrige and Hawks Draft

thescout5

Adam Morrison...

I'm curious if he'll be able to defend in the NBA... He'll probably be another Kyle Korver... NBAdraft.net says, "has the legs of a 40 year old..." lol

Everytime I see him though, he's giving a 110%... Unfortunately, doesn't fill a need for the Hawks other than that he's a hard worker which we need more of...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Morrison is going to surprise a lot of people and be a legit pro. You don't score in the 40's in college (against very good teams), and not have some skillz. He can flat out put it in the hole.

Only concern I would have is his health. He's diabetic, so I'm not sure what impact that would have on his health long term.

and I was impressed with Aldridge. The dude is very long. He is a combo of Camby and Bosh. He will never be heavy enough to play the 5 but he is a pure 4. He showed some decent post moves including a hook shot. His length bothered alot of shots as well. He needs to become more aggressive on the boards and to gain some lbs. IMO ,he will likely be the #1 pick in the draft and would look good in a Hawks uni. The point guard, Gibson, out of Texas looked terrible. There was some talk of this guy being a top 10 pick which surprises me. Maybe he was just having one bad game but he had difficulty dribbling the ball and was a turnover machine. His D looked poor and was actually outplayed by his backup. Shelden "Mongo" Williams looked solid and Reddick was on fire. I think both these guys will be solid pros regardless of where there are picked in the draft.

The BPA argument is being taken to the absurd extreme. I hear we (arguably) "took the BPA in Marvin over the bested needed player available (BNPA) so that next year we can get a lesser BNPA (Rondo) in lue of that year's BPA" and from you KB I hear "stay the course" Bushisms about drafting Rudy Gay if he's avaiable next year.

None of this makes sense! Marvin was a worse player than Paul and Deron and wasn't a better prospect, especially on our team. Moreover, the Pg position is harder to fill and more imprtant than the non-position of "swing" player.

We'll be lucky if MW is ever as good as Paul now, period. We will be fated if Marvin Williams is as good as Paul is now prior to his contract being up.

W

Precisely how was Marvin not a better prospect than a too short, no defense, flipper armed point guard and a too slow, overweight, unathletic point guard?

The Hawks got the 6'9", super skilled, super athletic Marvin Williams instead. Marvin was clearly the best player available in the entire draft, and it wasn't even close in terms of potential. Marvin will be the player from this draft that goes on to average 23 points and 7 rebounds a game, while most of the others will top out at around 16 points per game.

do you really think he will "top out" for the rest of his career at what he is doing 20 games into his rookie season, and on a bad team? Thats some serious hypocrisy. Not only is Paul scoring 16.5 ppg, but he is also pulling down 6 rebounds and dishing out 7 assists. Thats are incredible numbers for a PG. When was the last time a rookie PG came into the league and put up numbers like that? I can EASILY see Paul averaging 20+ppg and 8-10apg once he gets more adjusted to the NBA and gets better players around him

If Marvin never gets better than 23/7 with his size and skills, I would be EXTREMELY disappointed in his selection over Paul, even more than I am now that we passed Paul up.

Your personal bias against Paul is clearly clouding the FACT that Paul is already the leader of his team and doing amazing things already as a rookie. He is doing much better than I thought he would this year, but I can clearly admit that he is having an incredible season and you should too.

Quote:

do you really think he will "top out" for the rest of his career at what he is doing 20 games into his rookie season, and on a bad team? Thats some serious hypocrisy.

actually, there was a list of some pgs' rookie stats posted here in the past few weeks...the pgs were not ones that we would consider great pgs or anything, yet their rookie stats were on par with paul's right now...so paul may actually not average as good as he is now during the rest of his career, much less 20/10

anybody know where that post is?

So far, after 20 games, this is what Paul is averaging.

Rebounds: 5.9

Assists: 7.1

Minutes: 37.1

---------------------------------------------------------

Now, this is what Jason Kidd averaged his rookie year.

Rebounds: 5.4

Assists: 7.7

Minutes: 33

Now, this is what Andre Miller averaged his rookie year.

Rebounds: 5.8

Assists: 3.4

Minutes: 25.5

Now, this is what Steve Nash averaged his 3rd year (first year he got significant minutes).

Rebounds: 2.9

Assists: 5.5

Minutes: 31.7

Now, this is what Kenny Anderson averaged his 2nd year (first year he got significant minutes).

Rebounds: 4.1

Assists: 8.2

Minutes: 36.5

He kept this up for about 7 years where he was an excellent PG before he started to tail off.

Now, this is what John Stockton averaged his 4th year (first year he got significant minutes).

Rebounds: 2.9

Assists: 13.8

Minutes: 34.7

Now, this is what Stephon Marbury averaged his rookie year.

Rebounds: 2.7

Assists: 7.8

Minutes: 34.7

Do I need to list any more? Its CRYSTAL CLEAR that Paul belongs on this list. Only the great Stockton blows Paul away with assists, but Stockton is considered by some as the best PG ever.

Oh and please elaborate on why you think Paul will regress from this years stats because I would love to hear that since I cant think of any instances where a player had a rookie season like this and got worse in the following years.

i don't think he will regress

i said it's not "serious hypocracy" to suggest that he may regress, as others stated

there was a list on here of some average to above average pgs and what they did their rookie season yet they never got to be more than average to above average...i can't find it tho

paul looks to be solid and should be a good pg for a long time so long as his defense isn't too bad and he isn't injury prone...if he stays uninjured, it was a good pickup by the hornets

however, if marvin becomes the next mashburn/tmac/etc then i'd rather have that than kenny, marbury, dre miller...so long as we can find a good pg elsewhere (draft this year, trade, fa, etc) then we'll be ok...if we never end up getting a decent pg, then this will have been a bad move

but again, i'm gonna judge this draft (and the facy moves and trades) on how good we are in 5 years, not in 5 months...i'd rather suck for longer and then be better when we contend than get better faster but never get outta the 1st/2nd round

"too short, no defense, flipper armed point guard"

who is PRODUCING, and early favorite of Rookie of the YEAR

vs

"super skilled, super athletic Marvin Williams" who isint producing, and early favorite of BUST OF THE YEAR.

while, im willing to give Marvin more time. PAUL is clearly the better player now and would help us more NOW than marvin would anytime soon. as for the future? we shall wait and find out.

but as of right now, im thinkin "D@MN"

Quote:

I cant think of any instances where a player had a rookie season like this and got worse in the following years.

damon stoudamire

rookie year: 19 points, 9.3 ass, 4 reb, 1.4 steals

5th year: 12.5 points, 5.2 ass, 3.1 reb, 1.0 steals

still a good player and pg, but not what they were hoping for after he put up 19/9/4/1 as a rookie

Quote:

Quote:

I cant think of any instances where a player had a rookie season like this and got worse in the following years.

damon stoudamire

still a good player and pg, but not what they were hoping for after he put up 19/9/4/1 as a rookie

Okay, theres one...

Quote:

Quote:

damon stoudamire

that's actually a really good analogy. Stoudamire was also a little guy and came in and did great on a poor team (toronto). In the long run, he didn't live up to expectations though.

I do think that Paul is vastly overrated right now by people who are already comparing him to all-time greats, but there is no denying that he is having a great start to his rookie campaign.

Gorget Paul's stats - which are undeniably excellent for a rookie point guard, especially one that is 20 years old. Rather, look at the Hornet's record - right around .500.

A .500 record with that collection of youngsters and journeymen is pretty darn impressive don't you think? Heck, they may make the playoffs.

Marvin may one day lead the Hawks to the playoffs, but I think we can all agree that that day is several years away.

there isn't a chance in hell that they'll make the playoffs. They're 8-12 (.400) and they have the 2nd longest losing streak in the league. Also, as bad as their record was last year, that team has a lot of talent.

P.J. Brown

Rasual Butler

Speedy Claxton

Maciej Lampe

Desmond Mason

J.R. Smith

Kirk Snyder

are all pretty damn good. They have some young stars in the making like us, but unlike us they went out and got some role players like speedy and rasual butler.

To tell you the truth, I think they came out with a chip on their shoulder to represent their devastated city kind of like the saints in the nfl, and it's starting to wear off.