• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone wish we did not trade for JJ?

jumpshot

I definitely thought they gave up too much. I thought they should just sign him and hope the Suns wouldn't match. However the way JJ has been playing I can see why BK didn't want to take that chance.

There are only so many places on a playing rotation and extra picks don't help if you can't turn them into production. This team isn't that far away from having it's rotation filled with young, quality players. I think this summer BK should be able to complete his rebuilding.

Then it will be up to the players and coaches.

If we can only fill our Pg need this offseason like we should have last the deal becomes better. JJ is a menace at the 2. With a true Pg and JJ we would have an unselfish, dominate backcourt.

W

Quote:

If we can only fill our Pg need this offseason like we should have last the deal becomes better. JJ is a menace at the 2. With a true Pg and JJ we would have an unselfish, dominate backcourt.

W

We're close. The JJ signing was a must. It's looking better week by week.

It is easy to say we overpaid for JJ but you have to look at who we were/are. To get a player to come to ATL you have to pay more more than average because he is playing for a miserable team, such is life.

For ever Spurs team there is a Hawks team. The Spurs get good players at a discount while the Hawks have to pay a premium. Its no different for any other profession. Plus, Boris is putting up some numbers in PHO now but nobody would have argued he was worth much in ATL. I just wish that if we draft somebody abroad and the Spurs ask for that player in a trade, we either keep the guy or get more in return for what we gave up (draft before last). The spurs obviously know what they are doing when it comes to scouting internationally.

2 picks that we dont need. We can only have so many young guys on the team, even if they are all good. In 3 or 4 years, they'll all come up for contract renewals anyhow and we wouldnt be able to afford all of them.

I hope we keep Al.

Merry Xmas

Saif

Did we overpay? Yes. But rarely do contracts work out to ensure you have a player in his prime. JJ's health, all around game, our need to claim a top FA, and the front office debacle further justify it.

Problems: JJ was never a Pg and our team's strength/

potential was at JJ's 2/3 positions. I hope Chill doesn't go off to become a 20 PPG/7 RPG player (at say $6 mill per) for his next team (as he is effectively frozen out because of JJ).

W

Gotta throw my 2 cents in here....

I love JJ's game. He is the most complete player the Hawks have. He can score from anywhere, he can create shots for others, he can defend, and he can board if you need him to. He can guard a number of different types of players which makes him incredibly useful on defense. I know we paid a ton, and I know we gave up quite a bit, but I love having Joe on the team. He's better than any player we have drafted possibly since the Hawks moved to Atlanta (we didnt draft Nique. Lets hope JJ can help us keep the wins coming and that he continues to help assist the development of our young players.

I love having JJ here, but I still don't think there's anyway Phoenix would have matched the offer, especially when you consider that there was a huge up front signing bonus in the deal and with the Suns already having Amare, Marion and Nash on the payroll. The draft picks would have been nice trade assets for this season. But, alas, not having him here would have been absolutely disastrous so I can't feel that bad about it.

right, but unlike the sign-and-trade that was eventually worked out, if you match an offer sheet you can't just trade that player right away. you have to wait a few months, which would have pushed them into the start of the season. so, they would have been "stuck" with him (if that's a good word to use ) until after the season started.

• Moderators

I am glad we got JJ but stick by my point of concern thinking we should have gotten more protection on our own 1st round pick in the deal. I think if we offered Diaw; the Bos/LA 1st rounder and our pick with the following protection that they would have gone for it: 2005 lottery protected, 2006 top 10 protected, 2007 top 3 protected.

Quote:

I am glad we got JJ but stick by my point of concern thinking we should have gotten more protection on our own 1st round pick in the deal. I think if we offered Diaw; the Bos/LA 1st rounder and our pick with the following protection that they would have gone for it: 2005 lottery protected, 2006 top 10 protected, 2007 top 3 protected.

You have to remember that at the time, the deal looked more like this:

PHO gains from the trade:

- two draft picks

ATL gains from the trade:

- Joe Johnson

- the subtraction of Diaw

It is a surprise to everyone (except probably BK and some ludicrously insane 'Squawkers) that Diaw isn't still a complete bust.

finishing my last post, which I screwed up and was cut off from completing, he still would have been a base year compensation player, which would have hurt his trade value and makes dealing him quite tough, not to mention the PR of trading your likely 1 or 2 scorer away midseason for a clearly lesser talent. but we're dealing with hypotheticals anyways.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

You have to remember that at the time, the deal looked more like this:

- two draft picks

ATL gains from the trade:

- Joe Johnson

- the subtraction of Diaw

It is a surprise to everyone (except probably BK and some ludicrously insane 'Squawkers) that Diaw isn't still a complete bust.

I think Diaw was still an asset in the deal but agree he wasn't considered very much. I'd rewrite the deal to be:

- two draft picks

- scrub player with unrealized potential

- don't have to pay 4 max players

ATL gains from the deal:

- JJ

I think the one in bold was a major consideration in the deal for Phoenix. Given that they wanted to move JJ once the max offer came, I think we could have had him for the same deal but with more protection than top 3 2007 (considered a potentially great draft) and 2008 unprotected.

I don't think we maximized our leverage but that Phoenix did.