• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Clips Refuse to Send us Maggette?

Lascar78

Quote:

"In the meantime, an L.A. source reveals my Paper Clips, rather than give in to the temptation to turn over chronically injured Corey Maggette (averaged 59 games in seven seasons) to the Hawks in a three-pronged package that would've netted them Artest (with Al Harrington returning to Indy) asked Sam Cassell to reach out to his former T'wolves' teammate. I'm unsure if contact was made. Sprewell apparently now represents himself and isn't the easiest guy to track down; he's believed to be back in Milwaukee." New York Post

Not sure what to make of this. I didn't realize Maggette was injury prone.

• Premium Member

BK would not have trade for Maggette just to trade Maggette again?

Maggette's Agent would have never gone for this. The Hawks would be the most hated franchise in the game (by FAs).

I think you have to look at what value BK is placing on the young guns.

Maggette is surely a talent, though. Although this deal is an obvious random rumor, it wouldn't be totally off in that Josh Smith is a PF. Until he can dribble like an average NBA player and create off the dribble, he can't be an every play SF. This deal gives us a player that will allow us to still compete some this year. Maggette is a valued player in this league, I'm sure. We could move him when Marvin is ready. Maggette, IIRC, has a very affordable contract. I could be wrong on that, though.

magette would be our sg and joe johnson would stay at point guard...getting a sg was something i mentioned before as a possibility and i got bashed by everyone...not saying this is going to happen because it probably won't coming from those sources but it still resonates in the mind to not be surprised if we get a sg...

it's not what YOU think of joe johnson position-wise, it's was BK thinks.

Quote:

BK would not have trade for Maggette just to trade Maggette again?

Maggette's Agent would have never gone for this. The Hawks would be the most hated franchise in the game (by FAs).

I think you have to look at what value BK is placing on the young guns.

I think BK would do just that by putting Cory into the future plans and seeking a trade down the road. Hawk fan have the value for Al Harrington too high and think they will get a high return for him. BK could only be so lucky to get Ron Artest or Cory for Al Harrington. I'm not expecting big things for Al Harrington, but I can dream like the rest of the Hawk fans, and at the end of the day I'm a realists.

If the Clippers agreed to trade Maggette (which I don't think they will trade him) BK would seek better options for the team and Maggette. BK's not the type of GM to trade anyone to a place they don't want to be and he would consider the best interest of Maggette's.

Anyways, the Clippers won't trade Maggette, so it's not likely to happen, and BK needs to focus on moving some of our young guns

Quote:

it's not what YOU think of joe johnson position-wise, it's was BK thinks.

I've been suspecting for awhile that BK hasn't abandoned the JJ as pg theory. If you look at the deal in that context it actually makes good sense.

The Hawks have a lot of jump shooters but nobody who drives to the basket and finishes/gets to the line frequently. Cory gets about 9 ft attempts per game.

This rumor may be legit but still looks unlikely.

• Moderators

Quote:

It makes no sense to trade Al for another forward. None.

Unless that forward is better than Al or a better fit for this team than Al. That would make sense, wouldn't it?

Quote:

Quote:

Unless that forward is better than Al or a better fit for this team than Al. That would make sense, wouldn't it?

No. What do you do with the legions of small forwards the team already has? You would be left with the same problem that currently exists. Plus, Maggette is not a great fit for the team because he is not a good passer.

he is a guy who doesn't fit because he doesn't play D and therefore will have to go at some point. Plus he will want more than he is worth to stay here. That is why he will be gone.

What you could argue is that some want him to go NOW as opposed to THIS OFFSEASON to give the young guns more PT to learn from

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No. What do you do with the legions of small forwards the team already has? You would be left with the same problem that currently exists. Plus, Maggette is not a great fit for the team because he is not a good passer.

Maggette isn't a better fit for this team than Al and isn't noticably better than Al and so doesn't meet the above criteria. However, if you could trade Al for another forward who is better and/or a better fit for the team like Chris Bosh or Dwight Howard or (somewhat more realistically) Channing Frye, etc. then why wouldn't you do that?

I understand not trading for another small forward but even then it would be worth the deal to land a better player like Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony, etc.

While I understand the hesitation on Maggette, I just don't get the blanket statement saying there would be no point to trading Al for any other forward.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maggette isn't a better fit for this team than Al and isn't noticably better than Al and so doesn't meet the above criteria. However, if you could trade Al for another forward who is better and/or a better fit for the team like Chris Bosh or Dwight Howard or (somewhat more realistically) Channing Frye, etc. then why wouldn't you do that?

I understand not trading for another small forward but even then it would be worth the deal to land a better player like Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony, etc.

While I understand the hesitation on Maggette, I just don't get the blanket statement saying there would be no point to trading Al for any other forward.

You are talking semantics now. Obviously if a Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh or LeBron James is available you make the trade. But none of those guys are available and no one is going to trade a similar talent for Al Harrington. That is the reason it makes so much more sense to acquire a point guard or legit big man.