• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

talent that has passed thru Phillips/the Omni....

flava

as I surveyed some of the games across the league today, I couldn't help but be reminded of the talent that has worn Hawks uniforms since the late 90's (in no particular order)....

Pau Gasol (never wore the uni)

Jason Terry

Antoine Walker

Rasheed Wallace

Steve Smith

Nazr Mohammed

Toni Kukoc

Joel Prysbilla (sp?)

Theo Ratliff

Shareef Abdur Rahim

Steven Jackson

Boris Diaw

Jim Jackson

Lorenzen Wright

Gary Payton (never wore the uni)

DerMarr Johnson

Dekembe Mutumbo

I just feel like we got so little for these players. In particular, we got no young talent (although we did get draft picks which = younger talent).

With just a little more yield from these deals, we could have the talent we need to get over the top (one PG and one C).

Add ill conceived trades to the list of things plaguing the Atlanta Hawks....

flava

yeah but you traded some of those players for some other players on this list. So you can't just look at it and say I wish we had them all.

We traded the rights to Pau for Reef, who we traded (with Theo) for Rasheed, who was traded for the rights to Josh Smith I believe. Yeah it would be nice to have Pau, Reef, Rasheed, and Josh Smith, but that's not how it works, you can't have all the players involved in the trade.

Besides, even with that extensive list that you wrote, the only player who can really carry a team is Pau Gasol, and we never had him, we traded the rights before the draft. We have never had a number one option

Priest Lauderdale or Ed grey anyone, cmon we never gave them a chance to develop. Can anyone notice the irony that is currently going on with Al being just like JT. When he was here nobody wanted him. He was bashed on here like a red headed step child. We get rid of him and he plays well and then everyone wants him back. It will be the same way with Al everyone points the finger at the spokesman for the team, and finds an escape goat.

not everybody wants jt back

most that do want him back only because they think we finally found his compliment in JJ, not because jt has 'played better' for dallas

but many of us don't want jt back since he's not a true pg and we need a true pg...same reason we want al traded; he's not a true pf and can't defend well enough to take us to contention (unless he'd become a 6th man again)

• Premium Member

Quote:

Priest Lauderdale or Ed grey anyone, cmon we never gave them a chance to develop. Can anyone notice the irony that is currently going on with Al being just like JT. When he was here nobody wanted him. He was bashed on here like a red headed step child. We get rid of him and he plays well and then everyone wants him back. It will be the same way with Al everyone points the finger at the spokesman for the team, and finds an escape goat.

I've gotten used to it over the years. If we are having a bad season, we always seem to bash our best player as if he is the only reason for our lack of success. Examples include JT, Toine, Reef, and Big Dog. True they were all flawed players but so are most of the players in the NBA. The problem with this is that we overlook the real problems like bad drafting, trades, and coaching.It's not that Al is a bad player, it's just that he happens to be arguably the best player on this team right now aside from his defense. I agree with the statement that "Dumb teams look at what a player can't do while smart teams look at what a player can do". To overlook Al's obvious talent and then chastise others for not recognizing Marvin's potential is almost hypocritical. But don't worry, we'll be bashing Marvin or JJ in the next few years and will attempt to trade them both for Kendrick Perkins and Delonte West or Andrew Bynum and Smush Parker.

That was my point, its not the players is the franchise that Knight took over. When you have an orginazation drafting John Konkack over Karl Malone. Now nobody has a cyrstal ball, but we havent drafted an All-Star since Pistol Pete. (Nique came from Utah). So how do you expect to turn a franchise around over night. You can't blame AL for not getting a PG in the draft to get the ball to everyone that can finish. Smoove and Chill can finish they just cant create their own shot. So lets just trade the best player on the team, and not to mention a guy who has come out time and time again saying he wants to be here and build something for a rental like Artest or Francis. You know neither will stay when their contracts are up up. Yes AL will ask a lot this off season and he deserves it, but dont go offering him to any team for reasons out of his control. Everyone knocks his turnovers, well how many of those come when he gets the ball with 3 seconds left on the shot clock because we cant get in our offensive set. So he is forced to go into the double team and try and create or it will be a shot clock violation. How many turnovers because Chill and Smoove are young and stand there and dont cut, causing the defense to collapse and giving Al no outlet. Everyone points at the negative, but nobody points out he is one of the best SF in the game, is only 25, and wants to be here. Give him a PG and watch how he and JJ will take off.

• Moderators

Quote:

The Hawks Welfare mentality would find a way to bash Kobe, TMac, and KG if they were here...

All I can say is JJ, you're next.

I hope not. JJ is a very good but not great player. No shame in that and he'll be very good for us for a long time.