• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Defense

gsuteke

I cannot see the games for the most part because I am at work until 9. My question is who in the world was on the floor when Milwaukee put up 39 in the 4th quarter?

The box score says Salim had a good game. However if he was on the floor for the majority of the 4th then that is obviously not the case.

The team has got to get a defensive guard and an enforcer down low. Here's a crazy idea for head coach. Bill Lambeer.

Realistically the 4th quarter wasn't the problem since it was sort of garbage time anyway. The problem was the 34 they gave up in the 2nd quarter.

Not coincidentally Josh Smith was on the bench a lot during that quarter after playing the entire first quarter.

How good has Childress looked lately, have you noticed that? He really has the ability to be an upper tier defender and his ball handling has improved tremendously as well. Honestly I would like to see him start at the 3 with Smoove at the 4 and see how they do. With JJ providing good defense from the 2 we should be a much improved defensive team. The problem of course is still the 1 and 5 positions, but we cant do much about that this year. I think that Childress is ready to be our 3 and that if we move Al he will be able to fill in quite nicely. If we can just solidify the 1 or 5 by moving Al I think it will make us a much better team overall. If the rosters stay the same next year we would have Chillz and Marvin and probably Donta Smith all ready for bigger roles with the team next year and hopefully we can fill the 4/5 position in the draft so I think finding an upgrade at PG for Al would be our best move. Not sure whats out there, but thats where I would start looking.

I think Childress' role will be off the bench, probably for most of his career. However he has been playing better.

My main concern about him last year was his poor man D but he seems to have improved it quite a bit.

Offensively he actually fits this team because he scores mostly going to the basket, which is what the Hawks need. They have a lot of guys who like to shoot jumpers and need someone to take it to the basket. If he can just make the wide open jumpers, which he has been, he can be an effective role player.

Between him, Smith, Marvin and Salim I think the Hawks won't lose much scoring if they deal Harrington.

Quote:

How good has Childress looked lately, have you noticed that? He really has the ability to be an upper tier defender and his ball handling has improved tremendously as well. Honestly I would like to see him start at the 3 with Smoove at the 4 and see how they do. With JJ providing good defense from the 2 we should be a much improved defensive team. The problem of course is still the 1 and 5 positions, but we cant do much about that this year. I think that Childress is ready to be our 3 and that if we move Al he will be able to fill in quite nicely. If we can just solidify the 1 or 5 by moving Al I think it will make us a much better team overall. If the rosters stay the same next year we would have Chillz and Marvin and probably Donta Smith all ready for bigger roles with the team next year and hopefully we can fill the 4/5 position in the draft so I think finding an upgrade at PG for Al would be our best move. Not sure whats out there, but thats where I would start looking.

finally someone gives a little credit to chillz! i think he looks great! i honestly think he has the potential to be a solid player. he probably won't be a superstar, but he'll be a player that's worth having on your team for a long time.

about the defense thing, check this out from 82games.com, 82games.com per. just look at the per of the opposing guards, that's insane! even on a good night, joe johnson's per is maybe a 20, we're losing a lot at the pg position

I was at the game tonight. This Hawks team made the Bucks look like division leaders, and they played as poorly vs the Bucks as they did vs the Pistons. It looked like noone was trying.

there was an older guy behind me and he said Woodson should be fired, he isn't providing adequate leadership to the team. This guy was a season ticket holder and he said he was told at the meeting that he could voice his opinion to management if he wanted so he is going to vouch for Woody's exit.

I only got part of Brandon Leak's talk show following the game on 790 the channel faded out as I drove away from the perimeter. mad.gif But the first and only 2 callers I heard call in were saying Woody should be fired. I'd like to know if anyone heard the other callers. and what they said.

I don't think personnel on D is as much a problem as the scheme. I can't believe I'm saying this. Woody's forte is supposed to be defense. But this team is not defending the screens and pick and roll at all.

There is no effort exerted whatsoever. The players look like they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off on D.

On offense everybody standing around, on some plays 3 guys on one side of the floor. A shot is often put up after one pass, with no rebounders under the basket.

We gave up way too many second chance points tonight and we left Michael Redd wide ass open all freakin night. I have said this before, Woodson has lost the team, they aren't even working hard for him anymore..

the magic wore off after the 4 games following Woodson's reprieve...

mad.gifmad.gif

I think we should scrap this entire season and play all of our young guys constantly...

Play Salim, Joe, Marvin, The josh's and Al... let them get the experience they need to really hate how it feels to be blown out.

The only way to stop losing is to HATE it and not let it happen. I see Salim being a leader, i just wish he was a true PG and wasn't so turnover prone.

Billy Knight and Mike Woodson have GOT TO GO!!!

What has Billy Knight done for this team that has been positive for us?

I think Woodson can do a better job of motivating his players. But I think also the losing streaks put a damper on their confidence sometimes so you can do all the motivating you want and it won't help.

I think it lies more along of player skills and experience. Sure we have good talented young players..But their young..And there's more than just one. The WHOLE TEAM is young and that inexperience adds up...

Personally I think we need more talent that already has played(not depending on draft again). Talent in the paint and point guard. I think Joe can be all-world at SG if we had a good point.

I hope BK sees this part. I've been a big supporter and even like his length/athleticism agenda, but you've GOT to be able to see our deficiences in those two areas.

I still think our biggest weakness other than at coach though is not having a good shotblocker at center.. our problems on offense are scheme and not so much lack of PG. There isn't enough motion and the guys aren't sharing the ball enough. because guys are standing around passes sail out of bounds...shots are forced up rather than taken in the flow.

Pretty much everything he has done has been a positive.

He took an unathletic, salary strapped team and has turned it into a young team with a lot of athleticism and potential.

He's gotten the Hawks their first legitimate potential superstar player since they had Dominique Wilkins in Marvin Williams. He's added Joe Johnson to the team. He drafted Josh Smith, who is an up and comer. He signed the steal of the free agency crop in Zaza Pachulia. He drafted the steal of the second round in Salim Stoudamire. And he's done this all in just a little over two seasons.

The team is in great shape with the salary cap and have added more talent in the past two drafts than they added through the draft in over 20 years combined.

But of course, those that believe he should have had a competitive team immediately are going to cry out saying that he hasn't done a good job.

BK has done enough in his short time here that there are a ton of GM's and Head Coaches that are licking their chops, hoping Atlanta Spirit gets impatient and fires Billy and Mike. Just like Jerry West in Memphis, those GMs would jump at the chance to inherit what BK is building in Atlanta. I don't know of a single GM in the league that wouldn't jump at a chance to inherit a team that has young players like Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, and Josh Smith to build around while also having salary cap room and a high draft pick.

Does KB stand for...Knight, Billy? I swear it is impossible to defend the things that you defend unless you are a friend, relative, or the man himself. If BK is let go, as he and his buddy Woody should be, BK will never get another GM job again. Done. Finished. Kaput. Over.

The man couldn't run a Burger King....and Woody couldn't manage one.

You're a f*cking crazy. Billy has built a team with no

real consistant talent. Athletic ability is highly overrated

by you and the GM with likely the worst career record in

NBA history.

You were one of the best posters on the board. But you've

went into denial big time. Perhaps that isn't a 100 percent

bad thing, but sheesh!

Quote:

Does KB stand for...Knight, Billy? I swear it is impossible to defend the things that you defend unless you are a friend, relative, or the man himself. If BK is let go, as he and his buddy Woody should be, BK will never get another GM job again. Done. Finished. Kaput. Over.

The man couldn't run a Burger King....and Woody couldn't manage one.

I work if Mark Cuban thought it was hard to manage a Dairy Queen.... Personally, I think it would be a bad job for Woody

because he would still be managing alot of youngsters.