• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

State of the Hawks at the Break!

Wurider05

Even though we are the worst team in the league (arguably) we are not involved in any of the trade rumors I read about involving teams that are already better than us I know that BK likes to play it close to the vest but it is about time that they let us know for sure that they are trying to improve the product. I mean I would not as a fan have had a problem with Artest for Al. I really don't know how much more of this I can stomach before I just give up all together. I mean we are actually celebrating the fact that we have won more that 13 games this season. I watch the games on television but I will not spend one dime of my money on a ticket until we start making some real progress. I see all the other young teams make good trades and draft good players, and get effective coaches but not Atlanta. We seem to always get the players and coaches that are second guessed as soon as we get them. What was the point of trading Stephen Jackson for Al if you are either going to trade AL or let him Walker. We should have kept JT. If you knew that you didn't want AL why did you trade Antoine Walker? Why draft Marvin if you know you can't give him decent playing time and when it is quite obvious he is already the second or third best player on this team.

As a fan you look at the team performance and W-L column, and are disappointed.

The fact is we are the youngest team in the league and are in the 2nd year of rebuilding after totally dismantling our roster. To me the problem could end up being timing, rather than planning. Meaning that San Antonio drafts Tim Duncan, instead of someone like Olowakandi, the one year David Robinson is injured.

Look at the drafts. We weren't in position to draft Lebron, Carmelo, Bosh, D. Howard, or Wade, but instead in position to draft Iguodala, Deng, or Childress.

Could not drafting Chris Paul end up being the real dagger for our franchise? He is the only potential franchise player we have missed out on. Don't really want this thread to be about Chris Paul either.

Again this year we are in the hunt for a top 3 pick. No one is projecting a Lebron, Duncan, or Shaq at the top. However next year is the year Oden cometh, again we're missing the franchise player one year short.

as to the rest of your points

a) i believe BK will trade Al, but it may be this summer; either way is fine tho i prefer now, but if he doesn't get a deal as good as what he believes he can get this summer, then he'll wait

b) we have shown great improvement...we are on pace to more than double last year's win total...we have also gone like 40 something % since opening 2-16...so that's big improvement just this season

we were 5/6 before we lost those last two games! if we had beaten seattle like we shoulda, then it'd be 6/8 now instead of 5/8...if we beat lakers tonite, we'll be 15-35 (30%) or 16-34 (32%)...we will have also gone 13-19 (41%) or 14-18 (44%) since our 2-16 start...if we go 42.5% (take the middle here) the last 30 games after the allstar break, then we will win 12-13 more games, giving us somewhere between 27 and 29 wins...so my 27 prediction is very doable and represents more than doubling last year's record

if we hadn't had that 2-16 start and just did 44% for the year (so for predicting next season if core stays), then that'd be 36 wins...so if we get some good pieces here this deadline/summer and keep everyone sans al and keep improving, 40-45 wins is very possible for next year...

remember, smoove/chill/ivey are the longest tenured players on our team...so no players on our team have been here more than 134 games ago...half of our rotation came last year (smoove/chill/ivey/al/lue) and half this year (jj/marvin/slim/zaza/batman)...that doesn't make for good records, and especially good starts, as we saw with the 2-16 (tho we were close in many of those first 18 games, losing some in the final minute and some to refs)

so the state of the hawks at the break is that we have shown vast improvement both in play and in record from last year and have reason to believe our future is bright, tho we know it'll take getting a true pg and a defensive rebounding center in here before we can think about contending in a few years if everyone develops properly and the right moves are made

Quote:

but it is about time that they let us know for sure that they are trying to improve the product.

they have; they went after and got jj and booted belkin, showing they are trying to improve the product...yes we have to trade Al to improve the product, but if they came out and said that, his value would go down

Quote:

I mean we are actually celebrating the fact that we have won more that 13 games this season.

it's 15-16 before the break, so around 27-30 for the season...which is double last year

Quote:

I watch the games on television but I will not spend one dime of my money on a ticket until we start making some real progress.

we are in the 24th MONTH of rebuilding; u don't rebuild overnight...we rebuilt and had a 13 year season and followed it up with a 27-30 win season

Quote:

I see all the other young teams make good trades and draft good players

we signed zaza to a great deal

we traded for jj, who is an all-star caliber player and who will be a top-5 sg as soon as we get him a real pg

we drafted marvin, who has the most potential to be a superstar (which we need to contend) and slim, who has been in top 10 rookies all year even tho he was drafted in the 2nd round

Quote:

We seem to always get the players and coaches that are second guessed as soon as we get them.

only second guessed because we are the new clippers to the media (but by next year that will change)

Quote:

What was the point of trading Stephen Jackson for Al if you are either going to trade AL

al was a 6th man for a good team putting up great numbers...sjax was leaving for nothing (UFA) so we got back a good player who it turned out has deficencies that we can't cover for, so we will have to trade him for something else...but if we didn't trade sjax for him, sjax was walking for nothing

Quote:

We should have kept JT.

no; same situation as al; we couldn't contend with him and we'd have to get players just to compensate for his deficiencies

Quote:

If you knew that you didn't want AL why did you trade Antoine Walker?

we traded toine because he was a FA and we didn't wanna keep him...so we got value for him instead of nothing for him (saved us from using a 2nd one of our own picks to get jj)

Quote:

Why draft Marvin if you know you can't give him decent playing time and when it is quite obvious he is already the second or third best player on this team.

wait...marvin is already the 2nd/3rd best player on this team, yet you said we don't draft good players?

also, he does get decent playing time (22.6mpg)...and he'll get more as he earns it and as he improves and once al is gone...and again, we drafted him for his potential to be a superstar that we need to contend

he's also already getting more pt as that 22.6mpg is an average...he's gotten 30/29/23/21/19/29/27 in his last 7 games (over 25mpg)

• Premium Member

All too often, HSkers want BK to trade Al for a bag of oreos and a meat lovers pizza. WHY? Because they believe Al is holding Marvin back.

The secret is that AL and Marvin plays different positions. Al is not keeping Marvin off the court. Marvin could be a starter right now. Right now, Marvin could log 30 mpg and it would not be at Al's expense at all.

So the question is where is Marvin's playing time going. Chillz and Smoove. Neither Chillz and Smoove are capable of playing PF. I have come to this conclusion as have BK and Woody probably. Smoove can be on the court for short times when we go small and run but you don't want that as your primary team.... If you doubt it, pull out the tape of the Seattle game. When Seattle was playing Collison/Swift together in the frontcourt, Smoove could not answer the call. Moreover, Offensively, without Al, we have no post player. I think BK/Woody realizes that too. That has been the downfall of many teams that play Small ball.... Like the Suns of old.. without a post presence, you will lose everytime you play a halfcourt oriented team.

So what is Atlanta to do..

Trade Al for a PF? That doesn't help Marvin/Smoove/Chillz logjam...

I think what the blind HSkers are going to have to realize is that one of these three young guys is gone and the other will be bench fodder. That's with or without Al.

You should watch the Slam dunk contest very closely. If Smoove Loses, that might mean a move for him.

That's still not suggesting that Al won't get traded, we can trade Al for Francis right now. BUt we will still need a Big man to play PF.

and Smoove is a PF. Al was asked to play the 3 this year so that Smoove could move to the 4 where is probably more naturally suited to play. Marvin is a 3. He will be a 3. He wont get anymore playing time this year than he is getting with Al here ... however, I dont think he needs anymore time right now as he has clearly hit the rookie wall. The problem isnt this year, its in the coming years.

Oh and one last thing, please stop being a whiny little hypocrite about anyone talking about trading Al when you know for a fact you have proposed more trade Al crap than any 2 people on this site.

Quote:

Neither Chillz and Smoove are capable of playing PF. I have come to this conclusion as have BK and Woody probably.

a) Smoove is DEFINITELY a pf...he's the same height and as athletic as amare who plays center...he's, at worst, gonna be the next kmart at pf (when in nj)...but hopefully he'll be better than that

and bk has stated many times that smoove will be a pf

Quote:

You should watch the Slam dunk contest very closely. If Smoove Loses, that might mean a move for him.

wow

you really believe the dunk contest will determine smoove's fate? he is our pf of the future...half of our marvelous/smoove forward tandem...he's not going anywhere, even if he gets last place in the dunk contest

• Premium Member

Quote:

it will go a long way to solving the Hawks defensive problems.

ONE player is not in control of a whole defensive scheme. I would love for Al to have to miss the next three games so that we can put your theory to an open shame.

Quote:

Yeah, if you believe that Diaw is actually a Pf, then I guess you can believe that Smoove is really one too. Until he plays against real Pfs.. .You know Brand, Duncan, KG, Wallace...

well, i saw him play Brand excellently...keeping him to one of his worst games all year

i saw him play kg excellently

he got 3 or so blocks on dirk in one game as well

smoove is the same height as brand/amare/al/toine/etc and only a little shorter than many centers like ben...and his jump makes up for it...he blocked kg face-to-face at the HEIGHT of kg's jump...so even tho he may give up 4" to kg, he can outjump him by 4+", so he can still guard him

my eyes show me he can guard the elite pfs...and he's only in his 2nd year...he'll only improve

Quote:

...All too often, HSkers want BK to trade Al for a bag of oreos and a meat lovers pizza. WHY? Because they believe Al is holding Marvin back...

Trade him for the Oreos, send me the meat lovers pizza for lunch, and let's see what Marvin and Smoove can do as a 3/4 combo. Heck we already got more wins than last year so the season is already a success grin.gif May as well see what we have with the younguns!

(actually I would recommend trading Al for the best deal available - not food)