• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is BK's dream being realized?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I was watching the Hawks/Nets game and I was noticing that the Hawks most effective lineup is:

JJ, JC, JS, Al, Zaza. Sometimes they trade off Zaza for Marvin. However, when you watch this team play...

JJ and JC handle the ball as PGs.. JC looks like a SG. JS has a little stroke that he can hit in the midcourt. Al plays post offense.

Is this the dream being realized??

Offensively, our team is pretty good. Over the past 10 games, we're shooting 45.8% from the floor. I think we'll probably do much better than that in days to come. When you watch us, if we get into our offensive set, we have ball movement and good scores.

I can see us signing Harrington/Cato and maybe picking up a Big man Josh Boone or Aaron Gray and going with that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Point out to me one instance when BK has said specifically that he wants us to be a very strong defensive team. I don't think BK has ever drafted or traded for a player and mentioned defense.

He has said: Long, Versatile, and athletic.

Hell, he traded Diaw.

He didn't resign Pryz.

• Premium Member

BK has said that he wants this team to be modeled after the old Indy teams. None of those teams were strong defensively.

I'm a bad boy fan and I love strong defenses... But that's not what BK seems to be building.

Adding a shotblocking, rebounding big man or two would go a long way towards decreasing our average points per game, and make those long, athletic swingmen seem a lot longer and more athletic, not to mention a better defensive team. Still missing key pieces two years into the plan, but we are on our way.

Quote:

Point out to me one instance when BK has said specifically that he wants us to be a very strong defensive team.

Point out to me one instance when BK has said specifically that he wants us to be a very strong offensive team.

He doesn't care if we score or play defense, just as long as the team is long and athletic! lol. He did say in the offense this team was built to run opponents out the gym. Of course, that too is open to interpretation.

• Premium Member

If you look at why BK wants the players he wants.

I think BK loves the idea of having all 6'9 or above players who are athletic..

That causes mismatches for other teams defensively. It's the same thing that happened when the Pacers had Rose, Reggie, McKey, and the Davis boys with Smits. All players long... Both forwards versatile enough to be either PF or Sf or C.

BK wants Long players

I think BK wants the players Long because if you have length, you can cover the passing lanes. This is much more different than a defensive minded player. I think BK doesn't want a defensive stopper.... not as a starter. That's a waste of offensive output to get one defensive role player.

BK hired a defensive coach

This was to give the team a framework on where to be on defense. BK could have kept Stotts otherwise. BK wanted a defensive mastermind who could build a defense without a strong defensive player.

BK wants Versatility

This is about Matchup again. Notice how BK normally categorizes players wrongly by convention. Chills = SG. Diaw = PG. JJ = PG. He does this because in his mind, I believe he sees these players playing offense and defense against the convention.

I don't think BK's plan should fail this badly, however, I think Woody is having a time trying to do what he did with players in Detroit with out of position players here in Atlanta. Our offense shows that we can overcome convention offensively... However, defensively, it's going to be hard. We don't talk about it here but Small guards torch us. I think JJ has a problem controlling small driving guards. I'm kinda happy that we went to a zone. I don't know why AL is up top, but after watching the nets game, I guess it's because he moves his stays in front of guards better than JC and JC is a better rebounder??

I think what is required is more time and BK has to buckle and get one defensive stopper. Preferably a C.

• Premium Member

You are still a newbie.

Ask any old head squawker my feelings about team.

I loved Mookie, Laettner, Deke, Smitty... because of the defense we played. I hated that Babcock dismantled that team. But Luefan, you got to realize that BK has gone out of his way to get players that fit his mode and have not really looked for Defensive players other than Diaw... who also fit the mold.

Quote:

Quote:

Point out to me one instance when BK has said specifically that he wants us to be a very strong defensive team.

Point out to me one instance when BK has said specifically that he wants us to be a very strong offensive team.

No one probably can. BK has only said he wants a long, versatile, athletic team. He has made no reference to actual results with that long, versatile, athletic team.

Here is how the top teams rank on offense and defense, taking out the pace of play.

Defensive ranking offensive ranking

Dallas 9, 1

Detroit 3, 2

Phoenix 4, 3

San Antonio 1, 11

To win games you have to play well on both ends of the ball. That isn't going to change regardless of what BK's plan is.

Hawks 26, 12

• Moderators

I think it is. Sure we're bad on defense but that's because we lack effective big men and our guys are young. You can't expect great team defense in the nba with 20 year old guys. But they are learning.

BK has successfully built a competitive team that has long atheletic players at at least 1-4. Now they just have to take it to the next level. They'll need a big center and they need to get better on defense. Dallas did it. They went from bad defense to good defense with basically the same team.