• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Duke vs LSU

exodus

• Moderators

Was your favorite part the blocks or when Thomas outran the Duke defense and jammed while they were trying to intentionally foul him? Reddick didn't know how to deal with not getting every call whenever he drove the lane.

I like where Thomas broke away and jammed, that was awesome. I think McRoberts acted like a punk! This guy was fouling like crazy without getting called for it and whining like a baby when he did get called for it. Did you see how Josh McRoberts climbed up Davis' back going for a rebound, he didn't get the rebound so he came up and grabbed Davis? looked like he had narcissistic rage coming down the stretch good grief..

Thomas is athletic but he is not very skilled. I am sure he can play at the NBA level but unless he develops some skill he won't be anything more then a Stromile Swift.

Big Baby is a player though. He would be a good fit with the Hawks because of his low post skills.

I think all 3 improved their stock.

Thomas reminds me of a cross between Hakim Warrick and Marcus Camby. He is raw and he is not very strong yet but he plays VERY hard and he is a great athlete. I think he has the frame to get up to at least 235 in a few years(assuming he's 215 now) and if he does, he could be a very good PF. I think he plays with more intensity on D than Stromile ever did.

Big Baby reminds me of Zach Randolph though not quite as good yet. For a man of that size to move like that is incredible. Man would I love to have him at left tackle for the Falcons! I also like how he was able to refocus himself after getting in foul trouble and be a major factor down the stretch.

I also thought Williams did a GREAT job. He is not a great athlete but he gets a lot out of what he has and he battled hard against LSU's big front line all night. I think he can be a decent PF in the NBA but I don't think his upside is as high as Thomas' or Big Baby's. I think he could be another Nick Collison and that is pretty solid.

I think JJ Redick may have hurt himself a bit. He clearly struggled against LSU's athletic, quick guards.

I got an entirely different opinion on Thomas from being at the game.

He is a tremendous shot blocker, that much is obvious. Didn't really see him try to bang in the post that much. Good rebounder.

But, halfway through the 2nd half, I believe he was still sitting on 0 points and 4 fouls. All of his points came off tip dunks or the one breakaway he had there at the end. His offensive game is nonexistant.

Davis is an interesting case. He moves well, but he has to realize that his place is down on the block. I think he got called for a couple of offensive fouls, which got him into trouble. (Props to him and Thomas for playing much of the 2nd half with 4 fouls) For his size, it looked to me that he was getting pushed around a bit by Williams.

Williams was impressive. Duke really should have fed him the ball more. LSU was so worried about Redick (as they should be), that Williams was getting position easily in the post, Duke just wasn't looking for him 1st each time. Williams is definately a PF in the NBA, probably along the lines of Collison, like Trace said.

Redick...wow. I was amazed last night when a friend came back from seeing a monitor in the restroom and told me that Redick shot 3-18. I knew his percentage was bad, but I didn't think LSU gave him enough room to get off 18 shots. Fantastic defensive effort by the Tigers.

As for the other game...

We need LaMarcus Aldridge in a Hawks' uniform. Desperately. Gibson struggled. Nobody from WVU will do much in the NBA.

When I say he is raw, that is primarily referring to his offensive game. He displayed virtually no offensive moves whatsoever. Still, Marcus Camby and Hakim Warrick didn't have any moves as freshmen either. On the defensive end, Thomas could be an effective weakside shotblocker (ala Josh Smith) and a solid rebounder relatively soon in the NBA. I don't know how effective he would be as a rookie because he needs to put on some weight but at some point, I think he would be a better JYD at worst and maybe a Camby clone at best.

Williams was getting away with murder on the inside though. In the NBA, he's not going to get no calls on throwing as many shoulders and elbows as he did in that game. It was almost ridiculous.

I thought Big Baby tried to do too much with the basketball. He shouldn't be out on the perimeter handling the ball and trying to penetrate. He needs that big backside of his firmly planted on the low block. I still believe he is a better NFL prospect than NBA prospect, and he doesn't even play football. I'd draft him and develop him as a left tackle, because he's got great feet.

Tyrus Thomas changed that game. His offense is limited to put backs, alley oops, and run outs right now, but he actually has pretty decent ball handling skills for a guy his size. He can get out and run the floor like a deer. His presence in the lane is a game changing quality though. He's got the ability to be what everyone thought Stromile Swift was going to be. That may not sound good, but the only thing that has kept Stromile from becoming that type of player is the fact that he doesn't play smart at all.

That was a nice play. He's not a ballhandler, though. Someone needs to pound that into his head.

In the final three minutes of the game, it was Thomas and Davis that controlled the inside and won the game for LSU. I give most of the credit for the win to LSU's perimeter defense, though. Something they struggled with all year and they defended Redick almost flawlessly.

I didn't really have much of a rooting interest in any of the teams last night. I bought the tickets back in January, just as a basketball fan. I sure as hell wasn't dissapointed with either game.

Kind of nice that Duke lost, though. Their fans left in stunned shock after that game. I got to stretch out and enjoy the 2nd game with very few people around me. And if anybody wants to grab a ticket for tomorrow, I'm sure there's plenty of folks in blue selling them. (Hell, I might even have one to sell, for an unrelated reason.)

I felt so bad for the WVU fans leaving last night. They all just looked so sickened.

Yeah you're right - he's no point-center smirk.gif That play was kinda like watching a runaway train with no brakes. I expected the worse (likely a sure turnover) and feared for any poor Dookie who tried to take the charge. But give the defense credit, they took him on and he still made it to the hoop.

That said...in the future he should definitely find a guard, then head back to the post where he belongs.