• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al loving on the Bulls again

tmac13

Might as well paste it;

Harrington not hiding that he's Bulls material

April 13, 2006

ATLANTA -- Because there will be no quality centers on the free-agent market this summer, the player who probably makes the most sense for the Bulls to pursue is forward Al Harrington of the Atlanta Hawks.

Harrington made it clear Wednesday night that he's definitely interested in the Bulls.

"Obviously, the season is still going on, and I'm still an Atlanta Hawk,'' he said before the Bulls and Hawks played at Philips Arena. "But I am going to free agency unrestricted, and I'm looking at every situation out there.

"What's going to be the biggest thing that's going to help me decide where I go is the winning factor. I'm definitely trying to get back to the playoffs.''

Harrington, 26, has been keen on the Bulls since the end of his time in Indiana. He reportedly asked the Pacers to trade him to the Bulls but instead was shipped to Atlanta in July 2004.

"The No. 1 thing is their tradition and their history, and then you look at the steps they're taking to get back to that level,'' Harrington said when asked why the Bulls are attractive. "Right now, I would love to be in the situation they're in, where they're fighting for their lives for a playoff spot and they have a very good chance of making it.''

His interest in the Bulls is more than just passing. He has told friends around the NBA that he admires coach Scott Skiles' system and likes the Bulls' style of play. Harrington, who's averaging 18.6 points and 6.9 rebounds this season, even went so far as to consider how he would fit in.

"I look at the way they play and they don't have any inside presence,'' he said. "That's something that I think I can fill for any team I go to, and definitely [for the Bulls].''

Because Harrington -- who didn't play Wednesday because of a bruised left hand -- still is under contract to the Hawks, the Bulls are not able to comment on whether they'd be interested in him. But it's no secret the team had an eye on him going back to his days with the Pacers.

Regardless of where he ends up, Harrington is happy the decision will be his to make.

"I can choose my own destiny now,'' he said. "My thing is that I just want to win. Whatever the best situation is where I can get back to the playoffs and start competing for a championship, that's what I'm going to do.''

yeah I don't care. Why should he have to shut up? It seems overwhelmingly likely that we're going to SNT him elsewhere (or just lose him to chicago), and he does always preface by saying that right now he's a hawks and he wants us to win. We don't shut up about the fact that most of us want him gone. I don't think athletes should have to lie. If he's really thinking about other places, he should admit it. Now let's see what we can get in return for him...

transparent.

4-7-06

“Succeed or fail, this stuff right here is why I like JJ and this seperates him from guys like JT and Al.

JT and Al talk about sick of the losing and how great it would be to be on a winning team. Everytime Al is in Indiana NJ NY Chicago he talks about how great it would be to play there.

Guys like JT and Al don't have the courage or game to try to help rebuild and turn around a franchise, they want the easy way out...let me ride to backs of better players on better teams.

JJ understands the situation and has not backed down from trying to help turn it around, succeed or fail...u have to respect a man like that.”

“I would want my GM to be reading that I think ATL is a great place to be ....how I think we are going in the right direction and how I want to stay and help continue to turn it around.

Instead of...man look at the talent this team has ..I think I would fit great in NY...blah ....blah..blah...if teams want AL they will make him an offer.

Why would a GM pay a player who really did not want to be there. If he wants to get paid and he wants to stay in ATL...why does he continue to talk about playing anywhere but ATL?”

Al wants to be on a winner but does not have the courage nor game to help build one in Atlanta....he could have stayed in Indiana and rode the backs of JO and Artest.

I think he realizes he is not the player he thought he was...good role player for the right team but definately not a focal point of any good team.

Two things..Its not about the fans caring, he should have more respect for his teammates and Billy who has stuck by him..Secondly, Chicago has plenty of cash to just sign Al to a contract, they don't need trade with us...Yes they can only sign him to a 5 year deal, but I don't know if anyone will go 6 with his legs anyway, and he is definately not a max guy..

It's not like the guy is holding press conferences. Everywhere they go, every night they play, there are reporters in his face asking him how he feels about such and such franchise, and whether he would consider playing for them. So he says a few nice things. So what? His only two other options are to lie and say that he would never think about that, or to categorically refuse to answer any questions about his future. I don't see why he should be forced to do one of those. It's no secret anyhow, I don't see why he should be silenced. He's also said many, many times that he is a hawk, that he loves it here, and that he'd like to stay here if the conditions are right (i.e. money and a belief that we can win). It's not like he's said that he's leaving. He just usually is asked how he feels about other teams, and he says a nice thing or two. I just don't see it as being that disrespectful. Was it disrespectful of BK to talk to many many teams to possibly trade Al before the deadline? No. It's business.

Quote:

If I understand you correctly, you want Al to leave, as do I (correct me if I'm wrong). So why is it a problem that a guy that we want gone is talking about leaving? That's what I don't get

Especially at this point in the season. People arguing about Al's trade and Josh Smith's position...it's not like we are salvaging anything here. And let's not bash Al, because he is not trashing our team at all. He's a FA...he has every right to talk about places he might end up.

yeah exactly. And look at what he says exactly.

First he always prefaces with a statement like

Quote:

"Obviously, the season is still going on, and I'm still an Atlanta Hawk,''
he said before the Bulls and Hawks played at Philips Arena.
"But I am going to free agency unrestricted, and I'm looking at every situation out there.

"What's going to be the biggest thing that's going to help me decide where I go is the winning factor. I'm definitely trying to get back to the playoffs.''

Then, he is asked why the Bulls are attractive.

Are you telling me that he's supposed to say they are unattractive, a sh!tty team he wants nothing to do with?? Of course not. So he complements their tradition, their building, and restates that he wants to win. Big deal

I doubt kings fans are complaining that Artest said nice things about us because he was almost traded here.

The problem I have is when fans on this board want BK give this phoney a ton of money to stay here....for what?

Wait til the end of the year to start talking about places you want to play...not when your teammates are having a slug fest (with nothing to play for) with the Bulls.

He does this all the time.

Not very professional.

Before the all star break he was saying I'm a Hawk right now...the rest will take care of itself....now he is doing the Al Harrington please sign me tour.

Notice to Al...GMs know u r a free agent!

U soft punk.....had to get that off my chest...LOL

• Moderators

It is possible he has discussed this with BK and has approval to do this to try to increase his S&T value. Just throwing that out there as a possibility. Clearly, no one from the Hawks has demanded he shut that dog and pony show down.

Who knows....but why promote this dude as a leader on a young team when for half a season he has talked about the great escape to a winning team.

Obviously he does not see Atlanta as a playoff contender anytime soon, or we would not hear all the talk about going to a playoff team.

Just get the impression he feels he has served his time now he is about to be free.

• Premium Member

I think you fail to see that even as the season was pronounced dead it was Al who said " it's still possible for us to win 30." It was Al who said just the other day that we out to play harder down the stretch so that we can win these next few games. Like it or not, Al has been very loyal when he didn't have to be. He didn't pout when he wasn't traded to a winner at the deadline.

Do I fault Al for promoting himself to the team with the most money to spend? NO of course not. There's nothing left to play for so you are basically saying he should have lied.

I think when you consider character, the route that he went is better than what you suggest.

Quote:

It was Al who said just the other day that we out to play harder down the stretch so that we can win these next few games.

Link? I don't remember that, but Al was the one who said they should stop worrying about it and just have fun

Quote:

"We need to start having fun, start smiling and remember that this is more than just business because we love the game," the co-captain said, making sure to point out that he was speaking about and on behalf of all his teammates. "We've got nothing to lose. Let me say that again, so you know exactly what I mean. We've got nothing to lose. We need to start playing like it.

• Premium Member

Link

Quote:

That's easier said than done when there are just five games left in the season, when the focus and desire tends to drift no matter how hard the Hawks try and maintain.

Dreams of a 30-win season were dashed with Monday night's loss in Orlando. But the Hawks (24-53) insist they still have goals that are attainable.

"We just want to double our win total from last year," Hawks co-captain Al Harrington said of last season's 13-69 finish. "Over these last five games we have to find a way to win two or three of them. I think that is our focus right now."

He also said they need to have fun... I guess there was some contention involving the record..

link2

Quote:

nstead of manufactured motivation, though, Harrington has come up with a new approach.

"We need to start having fun, start smiling and remember that this is more than just business because we love the game," the co-captain said, making sure to point out that he was speaking about and on behalf of all his teammates. "We've got nothing to lose. Let me say that again, so you know exactly what I mean. We've got nothing to lose. We need to start playing like it.

"We need to smile and enjoy playing these last 11 games together, because we're doing everything else but winning games right now. And maybe if we loosen up and stop pressing, we'll break through at the end of some of these close games we keep losing."

The Hawks are playing plenty hard enough, as the recent epidemic of unsolicited opponent testimonials would attest.

Indiana coach Rick Carlisle and several of his players praised the Hawks' hustle and perseverance after they wrapped up a season sweep of the Pacers Wednesday night at Philips Arena.

New Jersey All-Star Vince Carter spoke in reverent tones about Hawks coach Mike Woodson and his team after the Nets escaped Atlanta with a 91-88 win and their NBA-best 11-game win streak intact Friday night.

"It's unfortunate they don't have enough wins to get into the playoffs," Carter said, "but [Woodson] definitely has them playing extremely hard. They come at you from start to finish. We expected that, and we knew if we wanted to continue the streak, we had to keep playing, take that first blow and keep competing to get the win."