• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Workouts will change a lot about this draft.

Diesel

• Premium Member

After the workouts...

I believe S. Williams will move up.

I believe T. Thomas will move down.

I believe Roy will probably move up.

I believe that Rondo will move up.

I think there will also be a thought about Europlayers not coming over that may effect the draft position of Bargain Man.

I think the most overlooked player in this draft is:

Riddick?

Why have nobody uttered a word about Riddick being a high draft choice?

Both Draftexpress and nbadraft.net has this guys as #11.

He's the NCAA POY... He holds the ACC scoring title. The guy is super clutch. How is he not ranked higher?

I am going to assume you mean JJ Redick and the reason that he isnt mentioned higher is that he isnt athletic enough to be a high lottery pick. At best he will be another Mike Miller, which in a normal draft is not worth considering in the top 10.

You guys crack me up. Redick averaged 27 ppg in the ACC for chrissakes. Just because he got shut down by a very athletic LSU team completely focused on stopping him doesn't make him less of a player.

I remember another CPOY who got shut down completely in his last college game. Fortunately Jordan got over it. Duncan went out with a whimper too.

Obviously Redick isn't anywhere near Jordan's level but i find it funny when I see people make a big deal about Redick or Aldridge having poor last games.

People always say "but (whoever) won't be able to do all that in the pros" but everyone forgets that he will also be playing WITH pros so the other team won't be able to focus their D on him.

• Moderators

Quote:

You guys crack me up. Redick averaged 27 ppg in the ACC for chrissakes. Just because he got shut down by a very athletic LSU team completely focused on stopping him doesn't make him less of a player.

I remember another CPOY who got shut down completely in his last college game. Fortunately Jordan got over it. Duncan went out with a whimper too.

Obviously Redick isn't anywhere near Jordan's level but i find it funny when I see people make a big deal about Redick or Aldridge having poor last games.

People always say "but (whoever) won't be able to do all that in the pros" but everyone forgets that he will also be playing WITH pros so the other team won't be able to focus their D on him.

I agree that he won't face the pressure from team defensive schemes that he did in the NCAAs but the fact is that he is an unathletic, undersized SG. He will be an effective scorer in the NBA but can you imagine him trying to check Joe Johnson or Kobe or Iverson or Jason Richardson, etc.? There have been plenty of college POYs that didn't exactly dominate on the pro level. Reddick's game has major question marks about how it will translate due to his size and athleticism.

Even in college, though, he was never a particularly good passer, defender or ballhandler. I can't see why that would improve in the NBA.

• Premium Member

One game does not a career make.

I suppose that same unathletic shooter moniker was put on Reggie Miller too. The point is this guy is more competitive than M. Williams yet because he doesn't possess overwhelming height.. he's not considered higher?? That's a joke.

• Moderators

Quote:

One game does not a career make.

Agreed.

Quote:

I suppose that same unathletic shooter moniker was put on Reggie Miller too.

Reggie was a 6'8'' shooting guard. Reddick is a 6'3'' shooting guard.

Quote:

The point is this guy is more competitive than M. Williams yet because he doesn't possess overwhelming height.. he's not considered higher?? That's a joke.

No it isn't because it isn't a matter of him not having overwhelming height - it is a matter of his height and athleticism being way below average for SGs in the NBA. There is a reason guys who are undersized and underathletic for their position aren't considered good pro prospects in general.

• Moderators

Quote:

If you also recall...

People talked about how Chris Paul was too short and how he had bad games against Big Gaurds...

Well.. Look at him now.

LOL They aren't remotely comparable. No one questioned Paul's athleticism. There were questions about his height - no doubt that factored into his fall. However, he plays PG and there are a lot of short PGs. If Reddick could play PG then his height wouldn't be an issue. I would be interested in a list of the 6'3'', unathletic SGs who would have been worthy lottery picks in the NBA.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

it is a matter of his height and athleticism being way below average for SGs in the NBA.

They said the exact same thing about Sam Cassell.

Sam Cassell is the same height as Reddick and PLAYS PG, not SG!!

PGs guard people like Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd not people like Kobe Bryant, Jason Richardson, Joe Johnson, etc.

6'3'' at PG is fine height.

6'3'' at SG is aweful.

• Premium Member

Wow, I guess that means that Dwayne Wade was a mistake.

He's 6'4".

The point.. What's the purpose of the height??

Is it something offensive?

Redick scored 27.5 ppg in the ACC. That's almost unheard of.

Is it something defensive?

Wade is in the league playing SG and he's 6'4"...

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Sam Cassell is the same height as Reddick and PLAYS PG, not SG!!

Cassell played the 2 in college. Nobody saw him as a pg. Charlie Ward was the PG on that team and Sam was asked to score so that is what he did.

He was drafted as a PG. It was recognized that both Ward and Cassell had PG skills.

• Moderators

Quote:

Wow, I guess that means that Dwayne Wade was a mistake.

He's 6'4".

The point.. What's the purpose of the height??

Is it something offensive?

Redick scored 27.5 ppg in the ACC. That's almost unheard of.

Is it something defensive?

Wade is in the league playing SG and he's 6'4"...

Key words -

height & ATHLETICISM

Wade is a superior athlete. If he was not super-athletic his height would be a huge problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reddick didn't end up about like Mike Glenn did from my old alma mater. Glenn seriously lit it up in college and I was excited that he would become a star for the Hawks. Problem was that he just wasn't quick/athletic enough to get his own shot consistently. He had a good run but never got to the status I thought he would.

Of course NBA teams don't play defense these days the way they did back then so Reddick may have a better chance

First of all Riddick is that cat Vin Diesel played in that Movie "Chronicles of Riddick", but anyways, I personally don't think Reddick will be a "star" NBA player. He'll be a good shooter that can provide instant offense like Salim does for the Hawks. Many experts believe he can be an effective NBA player though if the offense runs plays for him similar to that of Rip Hamilton, where he's coming of screens and curls.

Best collegiate player doesn't always translate into good or even serviceable pro players. Different sport, but remember Charlie Ward won the Heisman Trophy while at FSU and didn't even enter the NFL draft. He played in the NBA instead.

Quote:

He was drafted as a PG. It was recognized that both Ward and Cassell had PG skills.

That explains why Cassell fell to the 24th pick...not.

Fact is he was seen as an undersized, unathletic 2. Sura showed more pg skills than Cassell did in college.

Kenny Smith was running the point in Houston when Sam got there and again Sam was asked to score. He didn't start playing the point full time until he went to NJ.

actually...there's only one 'd' in redick, and it isn't much of one relative to defensive abilities.

Redick has improved grealty in his time at Duke but I don't think anyone considers him to have the capabilities to play the pg (he's not Henrich)...

Redicky will be a fine pro in my best estimation, one that has a similar role to that of Salim (Redick is arguably the more athletic and has a better ability to create his own shot, both at the pro and college level)...

he's go in the mid teens, borderline lottery depending on draft order and team need. Many teams that draft projects ahead of him will regret this move (as they over-reached on vaunted potential) but he will not have an NBA career that in any way resembles his college resume.

good plyaer, and I'd be fine with him in a Hawks uniform...if salim were traded that is (i do think that Redick is more versatile than Salim).