• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Need a center

DrReality

Lot of talk about a big, but if it is a power forward won't that add to our log jam with JS. Wouldn't the best thing for us in the draft be to get a center, a true center. Someone who can play with their back to the basket, have low post moves, defense the lane. If so, who is the best 5 for us and how do we go about getting them.

The Landlord is really a 4 as is Bargnani. Simmons may be more of a five along with Splitter, (contract issues) O'Bryant, Gray. Most of them are not worthy of a top seven pick? Who is the man and how do we get him?

agreed. Pretty much everyone wants a 5 and is ok with settling with a 5. Splitter sounds great to me, but with both he & Bargnani it depends on how good they look up close. If we end up trading down for Splitter, I'd be absolutely fine with it.

• Premium Member

The only true c to be mentioned in this draft is Obryant and Gray... I don't think a whole lot of either one.

Your type of thinking is the exact type of thinking that will ruin this franchise.

You want to make our draft decision based on where you want Marvin and Smoove to play... and really it's out of position. So instead of getting a fix... Landlord would be a really good PF.. You want to go looking for a second hand C. Somebody said OBryant may translate to Battie. I think he will be another Arujo (sp).. I think some team will pick him up like fools gold and hate that they ever did it.

before it comes to that.. I would rather trade the pick to Seattle for one of their Centers and their pick... and I'd still take the Landlord or Simmons or Smith.

one idea is to find out the status of Randolph Morris since his college career is over and he cant re-enter the draft if the Hawks could sign him as a free agent that would give the team more flexibilty in the draft and with trading or keepin harrington, he is a serviceable big man with potential, at the worst he would be better than some of the other stiffs the team signed throughout the course of last season

I agree with you on Splitter. In fact I'd rather do the sure thing and take him high to be sure I get him. If we trade down, what do we get - - probably another bench player. And I think we have some good talent on the bench already. We don't need more bench players - just some starters at 1 and 5. We aren't going to get a top 1 or 5 in free agency -- unless we can sucker a Babcock. Just an upgrade on the bench. If we have a quality PG and center, then I think eveyone would be happy with Lue,etc and Zaza coming off the bench.

So, I'd go for Splitter or Roy first. They are sure things. Then Bargnani or Aldridge. I'd settle for them despite the fact that they aren't really centers - then there really aren't many true centers around. But that's my opinion, YMMV.

Agree mostly - only problem is it seems like it will be harder to come up with a quality center than it would be to get a quality PF who could improve us immediately (and still use Zaza/Batista at center). That's not a perfect fix, but a strong PF could help enough inside to give us a shot at the playoffs.

+++++++++++++++++++

Light travels faster than sound...this is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

• Moderators

Quote:

Agree mostly - only problem is it seems like it will be harder to come up with a quality center than it would be to get a quality PF who could improve us immediately (and still use Zaza/Batista at center). That's not a perfect fix, but a strong PF could help enough inside to give us a shot at the playoffs.

That is pretty much my opinion as well - particularly after seeing Al and J. Smith play some decent minutes at center last year. If a good PF could play a few minutes at center I think that could be some real help along with Zaza in the middle and continuing to improve at his young age.

Having a true center is overrated. Where is the true Center on the Phoenix Suns right now? Boris Diaw? Please. This is not the 80s or early 90s. The game was dominated by big men before Jordan came in the league. A lot has changed since then.

We just need TALENT down low. For instance Patrick O'Bryant may be the best true center but his upside is not nearly as great as the top 3 big men in this draft. If you can defend down low or score who the hell cares if you're a true center or not?