• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

5th is a blessing in disguise!!!

emeans

If Roy falls in our laps at 5 I will be very happy. I personally think he is the best talent in the draft.

Chillz will be expendible if we pick him up. We need to package Chillz and Al Harrington and get a big in a sign and trade and we will be much improved.

Roy steps in and plays day 1 with JJ!!

Lue/Salim

JJ/Roy

Marvin/Smoove

Zaza/??(Big man from S&T)

Quote:

I agree that we will be OK aat 5, with the possible exception of missing on Aldredge...

Main thing I see as a problem with picking 5th is that it seriously reduces out trade-down options. Of course if we had a better pick we probably wouldn't trade down anyway so I guess it's a catch-22.

I really think the Hawks need to stop admiring the sportscars in this draft and look at the work trucks. There could be an opportunity to get 2 solid bigs...that would go a long way at addressing our #1 weekness. Then just do the best they can at snagging an upgrade at PG, with TLue as the fallback guy. We've already got a top level SG who has been a model of health - no need to duplicate there.

My overall feeling on this draft is that it likley won't produce any superstars but that it very well could produce many solid nba players who will have good long careers.

There aren't many good big men in the NBA as it is, and you don't just trade Al Harrington and Josh Childress for a guy who could be a good big man or a guy that is nothing but size. If you trade both of them, you trade for an established big man. I can count on one hand how many established big men there are in the NBA right now, and I don't think any of them will be on the trading block. The best you could hope for is probably a guy like Jamaal Magloire, and I wouldn't give up Al Harrington for him alone, much less give up Josh Childress along with him.

There's a reason you see Detroit winning with a 6'8" center, Dallas winning by going small and using Dirk at center, and Phoenix winning with Shawn Marion playing most of the minutes at center. That reason is the dearth of quality big men in the NBA. Hell, Zaza is probably top 10 among centers in the league right now if you take into account the players that are "pure centers."

How could anyone support taking Shelden Williams or Patrick O'Bryant over Tyrus Thomas? It's completely unfathomable in my mind. If, by some miracle, Tyrus Thomas is on the board when the Hawks pick, there's no question that he is the player they should pick. The gap between him and the two players mentioned above is so incredibly large, there is simply no justification for passing on him to take one of those two. That's a Pete Babcock move.

Quote:

How could anyone support taking Shelden Williams or Patrick O'Bryant over Tyrus Thomas? It's completely unfathomable in my mind. If, by some miracle, Tyrus Thomas is on the board when the Hawks pick, there's no question that he is the player they should pick. The gap between him and the two players mentioned above is so incredibly large, there is simply no justification for passing on him to take one of those two. That's a Pete Babcock move.

Agreed, you take Thomas and try and trade the redundant assets to fill the holes in the roster.

Quote:

How could anyone support taking Shelden Williams or Patrick O'Bryant over Tyrus Thomas? It's completely unfathomable in my mind...

Well since we already have similar skills in a young guy on the roster, why duplicate?

Besides, TT only averaged a little over 12 points a game in one year of college ball. A guy like Sheldon has done it longer and has been very well coached. I'm certainly not saying Sheldon is the better athlete - but he's the safer pick for this team.

Well it is just one game and TT got to play alongside Big Baby. I think that's where the "one game ncaa touney" hype can get dangerous. Bodies of work against good competition are more important...Heck even Marvin made a clutch shot in the ncaa championship...

Quote:

Thomas completely dominating Williams in the NCAA tournament should have no affect on this then, despite the fact that Thomas was a freshman and Williams was the grizzled senior?

Uh...Shelden Williams pretty much had his way with LSU in the Atlanta regional. He had 23 and 13 while, if I recall correctly, Thomas and Davis spent much of the game in foul trouble. LSU won by holding Redick to 3-18 shooting...

I hope you were referring to Aldridge, who did get dominated by Thomas.